Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Pitbull - Coyote Question

Bewunderer der Hunde Dog Moderator FourIsCompany's Avatar

A Pitbull - Coyote Question

Someone asked me about this because they know I'm a "dog person". I don't know the answer, so thought I'd post here and get your input:

A person claimed that he knew of a pit bull that fought and killed 3 coyotes but died of exhaustion immediately after wards. Do you believe this? It seems to me that 3 coyotes would be a bit too much. Also, aren't coyotes a tad bit meaner?

Thanks for any input you may have.

Full Member Full Dog Member
    I would assume the pitbull would have to be somewhat large say over 60 or 70lbs maybe even bigger unless the coyotes were small to be able to fend off 3 coyotes. I remember reading a local story about coyotes attackin a families pit bull because they were starving. I believe there were more than 3 and the owners were able to stop it, after he was able to get them off his dog they all stood due to starvation not more than 20 feet away watching( which I would consider very abnormal behavior as well as sligthly creepy) I think it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 to 10 coyotes.

After looking up the article, it states a pack of coyotes, so who knows how many.
    Last edited by isisrip; 01-10-2009 at 05:38 PM.

I don't know, meaning this is nothing more then my personal opinion or first impression, but my first thought is; Yes, it could happen. Three coyotes does sound like a lot, I wouldn't hesitate at one or maybe even two, but three is pushing it. IMO though, it could still happen. Lots of things are plausible in this world.

I don't know about the dying of exhaustion, I guess it could happen, I've heard of SAR dogs being taken of tracks/scents because they were near death so why couldn't this happen?
    Roxys' life motto: Me!
    Hades' life motto: Ball!

Couch Potato City
    Blog Entries
    The problem I am having with this is having seen coyotes, they are rather skittish, and usually do not work as organized as say a group of wolves. For that reason- it is possible that the dog could have killed 3.. As far as dying from exhaustion- hard to say. If there was a previous heart problem for example, could have been a heart attack..

Good call BM! Heart condition could definitely do it! I feel like this is our PD version of Myth Busters ROFL!
    Roxys' life motto: Me!
    Hades' life motto: Ball!

Couch Potato City
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Good call BM! Heart condition could definitely do it! I feel like this is our PD version of Myth Busters ROFL!
    Thank you thank you.. ( takes a bow.. )

Bewunderer der Hunde Dog Moderator FourIsCompany's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I feel like this is our PD version of Myth Busters ROFL!
    LOL Let's not try it out like they do on the show.

I appreciate the responses. Something to wonder about.

Fruit Platter mama! Senior Dog Member+ Savage Destiny's Avatar
    I think its very possible. Pit Bulls are strong, absolutely determined dogs. Of course, it does depend on the dog- Riddle, for instance, is a huge sissy and would be toast. But a high-drive, gamey Pit Bull? There's a strong chance a dog like that could take on three coyotes.

They may possibly also have meant that the dog died of its wounds afterwards, not from exhaustion.
    Do what is best for your animal, not what is best for yourself.

Couch Potato City
    Blog Entries
    A Borzoi could easily take out 3 coyotes..They grab the neck, coming to stop usually snaps the neck. The coyotes would scatter and symptemacitically take them out one by one.. Femka killed a coy-dog ( locals call them cot-dogs) and that dog was a tad bit more than half her weight. Coyotes are not big -

Coyotes are actually very organized hunters. While only one may be visible, the ones you DON'T see are the ones to be worried about.

Usually a lure coyote, often female, will entice a dog to follow her on a game of chase. This chase can go on for a while, tiring the dog out, at which point she will lead the dog to the other coyotes which are waiting to ambush the dog.

Coyotes don't always hunt in packs. One on one, I'd say the pit bull would have excellent odds. One against several, it just depends. I would never rule out a group of coyotes killing a lone dog of any breed. They've taken down bears and wolves working as a team. I wouldn't say that's the norm, but it does and has happened.

(Yes, I watch too much PBS - a coyote show was just on this week and it showed them hunting wolves and bears in Yellowstone.)

Side note - coyotes are getting EXTREMELY bold these days. We've had more and more attacks recently involving coyotes coming into city yards and attacking dogs. And lots of missing cat reports.
    You have not converted someone just because you have silenced them. - John Morley

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast