Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jumping too much?

Mommy Status Senior Dog Member+

Question Jumping too much?

Hi everyone,

I have a 4 year old B.ichon Frise who is about 1 month pregnant. This is her second pregnancy. My problem is that she loves to play, she is constantly jumping around and climbing all over furniture. I worry about her bumping her stomach too much. I see her slightly bump it and she doesn't even notiice and then she just looks at me like I'm crazy when I rush over to see if she's alright. I'm sure she'd cry if she hurt herself but I was just wondering if anyone knew anyways of preventing her from jumping around too much? Also does anyone know if it's fine for pregnant dogs to bump their stomachs? Can it hurt them or the puppies? I KNOW that if she was in pain she'd let me know (she's very vocal when it comes to that sort of thing) but I just can't help but worry about my wee girl.

Thanks!

-Lilly's_owner
    Last edited by Blaze; 04-27-2005 at 06:57 AM.

Anytime after the 4th week, the embryos are fairly resistant to interference with development. I keep my girls calm for the first month...no playing outside, baths, walks, attempt to hold back on playing with the other dogs etc. After that, it's back to regular behavior to keep her in shape for the delivery. The better shape she's in, the easier whelping she will have. They instinctivly know if they need to be cautious or not.
    Patty Lemke
    www.countrysidebreeders.com
    Breeder of German Shorthaired Pointers

*Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot about puppies.*

Quote Originally Posted by Country-Side Br
    Anytime after the 4th week, the embryos are fairly resistant to interference with development. I keep my girls calm for the first month...no playing outside, baths, walks, attempt to hold back on playing with the other dogs etc. After that, it's back to regular behavior to keep her in shape for the delivery. The better shape she's in, the easier whelping she will have. They instinctivly know if they need to be cautious or not.
    I agree - the fitter she is the easier the whelping will be.

Goes for us too - I rode my horse until I was 8 1/2 months preggers. Only stopped becuase I crossed a rattler one day.
    A Lab and two Border Collies - can it get any better than this......

Thanks for the help.

Lilly is in very good shape she weighed 9 pounds before she was pregnant and now she's 11 pounds. The vet said that is a good average weight for B.ichons. Lilly gets taken for a walk everyday. I go for an hour walk first thing in the morning and then again at about 8:00pm. Lilly has always come with me when I go. Now she walks for about 30 minutes and I carry her the rest of the way - then she goes straigt to bed when she gets home

Do you have pics of Lilly? i thought I had posted this earlier but now it is gone

What type of pictures?

If you mean tummy ones then I haven't got any yet but I have attached some other recent ones for you.

One is before getting groomed, one is after getting groomed and the other is an action-shot.

In the action-shot you can see what I mean when I say that she loves to play. She's a lo of fun but I wish she'd slow down a little bit. She is getting better now - the bigger she gets the slower she gets
    Last edited by Blaze; 04-21-2005 at 03:09 AM.

she is beautiful! The one action shot make me think
    'white lightening!' LOL
    Can't wait for the belly shots. I will try to get a few of Sharon soon.
    My son is really sick so it may take a few days here.

~Kendra

Thanks Kendra.

Sorry to hear your son is sick - hope is feeling better soon!

Can you feel Sharon's pups moving yet? Lilly's have just started to move around a little bit today. It's so cute Lilly keeps coming up to me wanting me to rub her belly every time they move

I can't feel movement yet, but can't wait!!
    She is still carrying high in the ribs, but her
    belly is getting bigger, posted pics tonight.
    Thanks from Kody, I posted an update on him in the
    off topic threads.
    I'm still waiting for pics lol

Full Member Full Dog Member
    It is all in the breed you have. They are very jumpy and excited little dogs. females seem to be a bit mellower but are very playful. My friends, Is like an expert with the jumping thing. I have learned over the years that small dogs seem to jump around and be a whole lot active during pregnacy. There is practicly no way to settle down these breeds. they are all about being up and playful no matter what the age.
    Animals are a Wonder. I just want to get into their heads to see what they are thinking. I often have times when I stay home and pretend to be a animal to get a glimps of what it is like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast