Thread: Feces stuck at anus

Full Member Full Dog Member NewPomOwner's Avatar

Feces stuck at anus

Lately, my 5 month old Pomeranian has had trouble excreting the last bits of his feces and some of it get stuck at the exit (the anus). Sometimes it's a smear sometimes it's a big chunk of it. I wonder if this is caused by the soft stool he's been having. We add carrots and peas to his diet because sometimes he has trouble defecating. It's frustrating because it's gross and I want him to get close to me but not when he's got feces on his bum.

Any solutions to this problem?

my westie does the same thing, we have to keep the area clipped. they also sell "baby wipes" for dogs, you can get them at pet smart. or if you're so inclined wipe his bum with a wet papertowel afterwards. my daughter is 12yrs old, i thought i was sooo done with bum wiping; until i got my puppy! his was so bad one time, it was like a toddler getting chewing gum stuck in their hair, i almost had to take him to the vet to have it removed, it actually fused to the hair all the way around his anus and he couldnt potty. that was absolutely awful. but me and my daughter finally got it.
    Courtney Comfort
    I look at life lately, like its a puzzle box. All the pieces have to be in the right order for it to open up and release the prize inside.

Full Member Full Dog Member snowface's Avatar

Talking *************!

************* are a problem. I do a "butt check" when the girls come in. If there are any *************, out come the babywipes (I use human ones - vet said it was ok). Trust me, it's better to pick them off then have them fall off on your carpet and step on one in the middle of the night. Talk about a rude wake up! lol

Full Member Full Dog Member snowface's Avatar

Oops

I guess the word I used was bad? Word began with a D, added an "ingle" and threw some berries on the end. Sorry - no intention to offend!

Quote Originally Posted by snowface
    I guess the word I used was bad? Word began with a D, added an "ingle" and threw some berries on the end. Sorry - no intention to offend!
    HA HA HA with your eloquent apology, who could be offended!!! i'm still laughing!!!
    Courtney Comfort
    I look at life lately, like its a puzzle box. All the pieces have to be in the right order for it to open up and release the prize inside.

Got Sheltie? Senior Dog Member+ weezyNollie's Avatar
    Both of my dogs have that.. why I chose breeds with feathered legs is beyond me. Louise is bad, the feces will land on it and then she stands up and it spreads, and Ollie is bad too. The worst is with diarrhea.. and since that's right now (poor Weezy).. I've been cleaning up a lot. Good thind my dogs are both patient.
    The Herding Herd.
    Brooke, Weezy, Ollie, and Ralphie

www.coloradoanimalrescue.org

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Kirby used to get poop stuck all the time. He hates the feeling though, spins around, trying to bite it off. lmao. Somehow he's adapted, doesn't usually get anything stuck. On occasion, when he eats hair, it will stick on... requiring human assistance for removal. lol
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

I too use human baby wipes. They work great. I check the girls after our potty runs and get anything before it dries. Much easier to wipe off.
    There is nothing more pure and uncomplicated as the love and devotion of our canine kids!

Full Member Full Dog Member

Feces sticking to anus

Check with the vet he may need his **** glands expressed. You can add boiled rice to his food to toughen up the stool, also put a light layer of vaseline around the outside of the anus it makes it easier for the feces to be able to be wiped off and it also sooths the anus if it is sore. Trim the hairs around the anus so nothing sticks. Hope this helps.

Dobermonster Mom Senior Dog Member+ dobermom's Avatar
    I had a lang haired cat who had the same problem. They can shave a "poop patch" it just shortens the hair around the bum.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    OPT TO ADOPT