Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I get my Yorkie to listen to me!!

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Angry How can I get my Yorkie to listen to me!!

I am very frustrated because my Yorkie who is now 5 months old gets something in his mouth that is not good for him mostly kleenex and when I try to get it from him, he growls and will bite me. I am afraid that he will choke. He runs away from me and my husband and its very difficult to catch him if he is not on his leash.
    Any suggestions other than keep him on a leash would be really appreciated.
    Frustrated in Saint John

Heartcore Senior Dog Member+ AtomicSkies's Avatar
    work everyday on the leave it command and recall...also make sure he has plenty of things that he is allowed to chew on...and make sure that you correct the biting now while he is still young before it becomes more then play biting
    "Life beats us down and crushes the soul...Art reminds us we have one"-unknown...see you later space cowboy...
    I love my mutts but ill never make more...spay and neuter your pets...marriage=♥+♥
    "I want all of you head to toe...heart to soul"-Kurt Halsey

the biting is not play biting, he gets very angry when you try to take something from his mouth that he should not have. He has lots of chew toys but has no interest in anything but what he has in his mouth that he shouldn't have.
    One day he had a kleenex in his mouth and i bribed him with a treat, he actually got the treat from my hand and chewed it with the kleenex.
    the Leave it command, is that the same command as drop it.

Heartcore Senior Dog Member+ AtomicSkies's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowsteele View Post
    the biting is not play biting, he gets very angry when you try to take something from his mouth that he should not have. He has lots of chew toys but has no interest in anything but what he has in his mouth that he shouldn't have.
    One day he had a kleenex in his mouth and i bribed him with a treat, he actually got the treat from my hand and chewed it with the kleenex.
    the Leave it command, is that the same command as drop it.
    well then i think you need to find a trainer to work with you if it has already escalated from play biting to real biting...at the very least for some tips if not a full on class...yes leave it and drop it are the same...you can use whatever command you want as long as you use the same one for the behavior every time...the dog dosent know the word per say they know that when you say this im supposed to do this....if you train it correctly you could use banana to mean sit
    "Life beats us down and crushes the soul...Art reminds us we have one"-unknown...see you later space cowboy...
    I love my mutts but ill never make more...spay and neuter your pets...marriage=♥+♥
    "I want all of you head to toe...heart to soul"-Kurt Halsey

Bee-See-Luv-R Senior Dog Member+ Bclover92's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Okay first off expect to get bit.

You CANT back away. He is winning EVERY time he bites at you and you back away. If he starts growling keep moving twords him. If he bites at you or even gets you dont pull away. He wins if you pull away and he knows it. You can say a firm (firm not mean/angry) NO but dont back away or do anything else. Grab the thing from him and say leave it or drop it. When he lets go reward him big time and give him something else like a toy to play with.

I also would work on his leave it command. Put him on his leash and put something he liks next to him. If he goes for it say leave it and pull him a little to the side away from it. When he looks at you say "good boy" or "yes" and give a treat. Slowly make it harder as he does it good. Make the object more tempting like good food or a fun toy. Also start walking by it or you pretend to play with it. This makes it more interesting to him but he still needs to leave it if you say.

This command will help you SO much later on. You can use it for anything from icky stuff on the ground to another dog or a car or something. This command can litterally save there life.

I would keep him leashed to you or crated for the first week or two. That way you can also start correcting before he even gets the object in his mouth. If he does for some reason then he also cant run away and you can kind of pop his leash to the side to correct him for growling/biting.

I would also work on his re-call. Randomly call him (happily) in the house and give him treats for coming. If he doesnt come on the first call go get him and bring him where you want (lead him do NOT carry him there). Then give treats and say good boy. NEVER get mad if it takes him awhile. Anytime he comes give him praise. You can even say come if he just happens to be coming tword you on his own. This way he associates coming to you with that word.
    Abby and the Defying Gravity Dogs
    Ammardans Skyes the Limit CGC AX OAJ XF 0/3 AXJ 1/10 MXF 4/10 MX <3 Heart Dog
    DarnFars Footprints on the Moon CGC NA OAJ NF 2/3 OA 1/3 AXJ 1/3 OF *My Reason to Smile*
    Heaven's Gift Levi Gabriel *Family Friend*

Thank you both for the suggestions, I will definetely try. This is my first dog and I think I messed up big time when i first got him by treating him like a human and babying him to death. I purchased material on training your Yorkie, some of it works and some dosen't. I have been crate training him also for 2 months now and he will still have accidents in the house, not sure if they are accidents, he does it right in front of you, he will not go to the door. This only happens once a week maybe but if I didn't make sure he went out every few hours then it may happen more often. I love him to death but its pretty frustrating sometimes when you feel like your taking backward steps all the time.

Bee-See-Luv-R Senior Dog Member+ Bclover92's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Toy Breeds are known for being hard to potty train. I would just keep making sure he is going out every hour or two.

The trick with little dogs is not too treat them as babys. They are little but they are still dogs. People tend to forget that. They shouldnt be treated any different.
    Abby and the Defying Gravity Dogs
    Ammardans Skyes the Limit CGC AX OAJ XF 0/3 AXJ 1/10 MXF 4/10 MX <3 Heart Dog
    DarnFars Footprints on the Moon CGC NA OAJ NF 2/3 OA 1/3 AXJ 1/3 OF *My Reason to Smile*
    Heaven's Gift Levi Gabriel *Family Friend*

Full Member Full Dog Member
    Just my humble opinion.....You have to take charge. Even tho he's a little guy, he shouldn't be treated any different than a great dane. Nothing in life is free training(NILF) is a great way to get started. I personally would not let him on the furniture or in the bed ect at this time. He needs to be on the bottom of the pecking order. Leave it is one of the first things I teach.
    Potty training, well, after having big dogs with no problem potty training, my min-pin was a nightmare. I would consider getting him fixed now, he may be marking????
    I'm not a big fan of early spay and neuter, however sometimes that helps if he indead is marking.
    Little dogs can be pretty head strong, you just have to be more.
    Good luck and just be consistant and fair.

Your opinion is very much appreciated, I take nothing to heart, its all a learning experience for me. he will be 5 months old Feb. 10, we have an appt to have him neutered on Feb.9, the vet also thinks this may help. he is very strong willed and definetely wants to be the leader. I will keep it in mind to be more head strong than him, I just feel mean sometimes. LOL. Thanks again.

Full Member Full Dog Member vac1102's Avatar
    I know what you are going through and thinking you are mean. My bichon Isabel was the worst to housetrain. At 8 months she still wasn't trained and I thought it was going to be impossible. And I work from home so was taking her out every hour. Then I started keeping her leased to me and that corrected the getting into everything and helped with the housetraining. And the leave it comand if going to be your best friend. Isabel wanted to chew everything........................

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast