Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: question- losing an eye

Couch Potato City
    Blog Entries

question- losing an eye

I have a friend that has a dog that out of injury lost an eye. I never had a dog that lost an eye- I have seen like two in my lifetime that did- but anyone here have a dog that lost an eye? If I may ask- what did the face look like? Did the dog have a hard time adjusting? Did the dog use other factors- ie hightened hearing etc to compensate for this?

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I know several dogs who are missing an eye. Most dogs don't seem to notice. Some do have poor depth perception and hit walls/run into the sides of things. Otherwise, nothing much. They are not blind, just missing one eye.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

Couch Potato City
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo View Post
    I know several dogs who are missing an eye. Most dogs don't seem to notice. Some do have poor depth perception and hit walls/run into the sides of things. Otherwise, nothing much. They are not blind, just missing one eye.
    question- did you notice a heightened in other senses to compensate( hearing or vibration etc...) ?

Meanie in a truck Senior Dog Member+ agilitydog's Avatar
    I have seen several without an eye. It is just a sewn up spot and a solid place where the eye would be. In fact our last agility magazine had a tribute to a dog with a top title and only one eye. They can adjust to learn to seeing a bit different
    Learn from other's mistakes. You will not be alive long enough to make them all on your own
    www.sittraining.blogspot.com

Banned Senior Dog Member+
    Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom View Post
    I have a friend that has a dog that out of injury lost an eye. I never had a dog that lost an eye- I have seen like two in my lifetime that did- but anyone here have a dog that lost an eye? If I may ask- what did the face look like? Did the dog have a hard time adjusting? Did the dog use other factors- ie hightened hearing etc to compensate for this?
    I had a terrier that lost an eye. No big deal to the dog at all. Next day it was out killing vermin, and having fun quarreling with the other dogs.

Never slowing her down at all.
    Remember the dogs world is a world of smells, sight does not mean as much to them as you might think.
    It is about smell to a dog
    There is no need for them to have heightened senses, they already have that, in comparison to humans.

Couch Potato City
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by agilitydog View Post
    I have seen several without an eye. It is just a sewn up spot and a solid place where the eye would be. In fact our last agility magazine had a tribute to a dog with a top title and only one eye. They can adjust to learn to seeing a bit different
    okay this dog lost its eye due to injury- ie sudden. Do you know if the ones that lost an eye it was a prolonged problem- rectified- or they lost is suddenly?

Couch Potato City
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JTP View Post
    I had a terrier that lost an eye. No big deal to the dog at all. Next day it was out killing vermin, and having fun quarreling with the other dogs.

Never slowing her down at all.
    Remember the dogs world is a world of smells, sight des not mean as much to them as you might think.
    There is no need for them to have heightened senses, they already have that, in comparison to humans.
    wow- that helps alot.. So other senses kick in quick then??? but it was a natural process. ?

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom View Post
    okay this dog lost its eye due to injury- ie sudden. Do you know if the ones that lost an eye it was a prolonged problem- rectified- or they lost is suddenly?
    Mine lost its eye in an accident, ran into something while in hot pursuit, and we found the dog with its eye hanging out.
    Vets removed the eye, sewed up the socket, and sent us home.
    Dog never looked back, never seemed to mine.
    We worried more than the dog ever did.

Couch Potato City
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JTP View Post
    Mine lost its eye in an accident, ran into something while in hot pursuit, and we found the dog with its eye hanging out.
    Vets removed the eye, sewed up the socket, and sent us home.
    Dog never looked back, never seemed to mine.
    We worried more than the dog ever did.
    wow.. thank you for that.. As far as healing do you have a picture by any chance? And could the dog sense something coming up on that side the eye was gone? ( I am sorry- never had a dog that lost an eye before, but trying to help my friend. )

There was a pug across the street that had both eyes removed, and to watch the dog from accross the street, you would never know it was eyeless. The dog actually knew the baoundaries of the front yard, and where the front steps were, and would run around the yard, and never hit anything. It was sort of weird.

Tell your friend not to be overly concerned about the dog adapting, the dog is fine.
    The most that may ever be noticed is a slight turn of the head to even out the periferal vision towards the blind side.
    Dogs are much more resilent than us humans.
    They just move forward.
    She is about to learn just how tough dogs are.
    Were it a human, it would need years of therapy, and a lawsuit to get over it.
    To the dog though, it is nothing, they can still smell many tmes better than we ever will, and thet is their main sensory receptor of the world

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast