Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat peopel? How long to recover from declawing

Labified Senior Dog Member+ GretaJack's Avatar

Cat peopel? How long to recover from declawing

Zanie was neutered and front declawed on Thursday. I really didn't want to declaw him yet, both him and Quincey are just horrible at scratching everything they are not. I trim nails about every 10 days and that didn't help and they just don't like using the appropiate scratch pads.

So, I am impatient and feeling like a horrible person for declawing my cat. He is seriously favoring one of his paws. I called the vet this morning and they said, since he is still putting weight on it, they are not overly concerned and it could take weeks for him to recover. Any body else have advice?
    See Jacob grow http://katiejmcnamara.blogspot.com

Missed Greatly, Forever Remembered. In memory of my lost ones; Moby (9/13/03), Carbon (09/13/03), Tanner (10/16/05), Aries (07/31/07) and Millie (09/25/07).

Mommy Status Senior Dog Member+ Lessica Jake's Avatar
    Well, when cats are declawed, it removes the whole first knuckle of their paw. simillar to cutting off your fingers at the first joint. So obviously it'll take weeks for him to recover, I wouldn't expect him to be near normal for at least 3 weeks, maybe longer.

But is it normal for him to be favoring one paw over another? He is heavily favoring his right paw. He seems to be always holding it up if he is just sitting or standing. But he will put weight on it when he walks.

Missed Greatly, Forever Remembered. In memory of my lost ones; Moby (9/13/03), Carbon (09/13/03), Tanner (10/16/05), Aries (07/31/07) and Millie (09/25/07).

Quote Originally Posted by Lessica Jake
    Well, when cats are declawed, it removes the whole first knuckle of their paw. simillar to cutting off your fingers at the first joint. So obviously it'll take weeks for him to recover, I wouldn't expect him to be near normal for at least 3 weeks, maybe longer.
    Hmmm i wasn't aware they took the first part of the foot?? When my 4 cats were declawed they just ripped out the nail (bad enough). It took my cats varying times to get over it. yes they would often favor one over the other. Kinda like if you break both feet (yea i stumble alot!) one hurts more than the others. It does take alot of time to get over. Several weeks is not uncommon.
    They do however learn to use those toes to act as claws, just doesn't do the damage. Mine are VERY profecient w/thier toes. They also still "claw" the furniture, but no damage. I think that's bred into a cat, LOL. Good Luck!

OH and it really is better by my thinking to have them fixed and declawed at the same time.they only have to go under once, and you dont have to try and control them jumping and playing cuz they are miserable all at once instead of just kinda miserable a couple times
    Kate

Mommy Status Senior Dog Member+ Lessica Jake's Avatar
    Nope, they cut off to the first knuckle. Otherwise the nail will just grow back, like what happens when humans get their nails ripped off.

And yes, I would expect him to favor one over the other. One is probably more senstive, or they cut a teeny bit more or whatever. As long as he's walking on it, I'd say it's fine.

It's kind of weird trying to compare what they do just cause their paws are quite a bit diiferent than our hands. I would say that it is somewhat closer to cutting of a knuckle. But to be more accuate, grab a cat that has it's claws and gently squeeze their paw so that the nail is fully extended. If you look at where the extended part meets with the rest of the paw, that's where they cut/ pull. They don't have to go through bone, so it's not exactly like cutting off one of our knuckles, but it is more than just removing the nail.

I haven't had much experience with the recovery time though, so I can't really say much there.

Protector of Dobes Senior Dog Member+ Dobified's Avatar
    On the frozen Tundra in an igloo with a polar bear named whitey.
    Lessica is right, they cut off the toe at the first joint. That is the only way to ensure that the claw doesn't grow back. It is an amputation.

It will take about 4-6 weeks for the cat to fully recover. As for him favouring one paw more then another, it maybe infected and you will want to keep a close eye on it, if it doesn't get better in a week or gets worse in the next few days, call the vet. It is a very painful procedure so expect the cats to be sore.
    In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

Thanks all of you. Makes me feel better about how he is acting, but I still feel like a horrible person for declawing him. But it was either declaw or go live back at the farm. They are scratching the he!! out of everything. My life would be so much simpler without cats, yet for some reason, these boys have grown on me

Protector of Dobes Senior Dog Member+ Dobified's Avatar
    On the frozen Tundra in an igloo with a polar bear named whitey.
    Grrr.. just lost my whole post.

The jist of it was , Greta do not feel bad, I am sorry if I made you feel that way. It was best for you and your cat , if the cat is destroying your house it is better then getting rid of the cat.

I wish I had copied the first post, but it just went poof, and was gone. Argh!
    In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

Worriaholic Senior Dog Member+ BabyElephant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I wish we could get cats declawed over here - vets just won't do it unless there is a medical reasons (saving your furniture does not count - I wonder if insanity of the owner does - LOL). Sophie is forever scratching everything that's inappropriate...
    Quote Originally Posted by micki View Post
    Lipsticks are lost everyday but love is forever

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast