Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coton de Tulear

Full Member Full Dog Member takiko's Avatar

Coton de Tulear

I am planning to buy Coton De Tulear.
    I choose it because, he won't shed and good with other pets

Where can I find coton de tulear in toronto...any good suggestion place?
    I also want to ask the price range, I have search from web, it was about 300-2000....... the price ranges are wide....

I just want an healthy dog, I don't mind his/her parents are champion or not

hehe
    moo is the the expert on these fuzzy white terrors

Ashley
    AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi, welcome to Pro Dog. I have two Coton de Tulear, and they are excellent dogs. They don't shed, but do have the grooming aspect to keep up with; and they are excellent with other animals. My older dog was best friends with my two guinea pigs. There are a lot of other things to consider though.

Do you have any dogs currently? Are you looking for a puppy or an adult (or somewhere in between)? They are very social dogs. How much time do you intend to spend excercising and training the dog? How much time are you out of the house for in a day?

I know you say you don't care about having show dogs in your lines- my dogs are pet dogs too. But, that being said, in this breed, the best place to go to be sure what you are getting is a show breeder. There are a lot of millers trying to pass of generic mixes as CdT. Look hard and be picky. In Canada, most responsible CdT breeders will be involved with the CFC- Canine Federation of Canada. Avoid anybody who is affliliated with the Continental Kennel Club. As far as price goes, basically, you get what you pay for. Look for testing on ears (BAER), eyes (PRA), petallas, hips and elbows. That being said a bad breeder will charge what people will pay too. Be careful.

I live in BC, and had my dogs shipped from SK. I'd love to talk more, but I'm on a bit of a schedule, I'll have to come back later for more. I can put you in touch with our breeder's contact information if you're interested.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

I do not have any dog yet, I only have 2 chinchillas. I am newbie for it. I have make a lot research and read a lot information about coton de tulear.

How much should I spend for training coton de tulear, it is 1-2 hours enough?? Although I left home about 7-8 hours due to go out for works, but my parents are stay at home. Is it okay??

Of course I know that the price reflect to the quality of the dog. I prefer puppy rather than adult
    I just want to know the average price....

I also want to know how often for dental care for coton de tulear.
    I read from the coton de tulear lover (also breeder) website that if I use water spray and brush his hair everyday... they only need to take bath for 3-4 times per year. is it possible??
    Last edited by takiko; 03-25-2009 at 03:29 PM.

Agility Addict Senior Dog Member+ assortedagility's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm no expert on the breed, but it is my understanding that this breed does need a bit more socialization than most. I've known two other Coton owners through dog competitions who've both said how much work there is to socialize this breed of dog(to prevent any kind of fear turning into aggression). But, for a pet, great great LOYAL dogs, as far as I've seen.

Congrats on your decision to become a dog owner. And I do hope you follow any advice Moo can give. She knows her breed, and going to excellent breeders (even if you don't want a show dog) is always the best choice. Goodluck!
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance it is the illusion of knowledge.

Blog Entries
    Expect to pay anywhere from 1000 to maybe 1800 for a quality pet CdT, but don't quote me on that. It depends on a few different factors, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by takiko View Post
    I also want to know how often for dental care for coton de tulear.
    I read from the coton de tulear lover (also breeder) website that if I use water spray and brush his hair everyday... they only need to take bath for 3-4 times per year. is it possible??
    There is some dental upkeep. I'm not going to lie, I'm terrible at keeping up with it. Their beards and mosutaches keep bacteria in their mouths, and the teeth build up tartar fast if you don't use a treatment, or brush regularly.

As far as regular grooming goes, I don't use sprays on my dogs. I find that it makes the coat heavy and fall unnaturally, since it's supposed to puff up. Personally preference of course, but when the coat falls, it often creates parts that shouldn't be there. Upkeep is way easier than it looks. The little girl has fine hair that doesn't mat up at all. She gets tiny tangles that brush out like a dream when I brush every 3 days. Brushing him is a bit more intense because he has a lot more hair (and a bigger body), but still not too bad. Since they are single coated, they don't have a lot of textures to deal with, so the comb can do everything for you. The only thing is that the coat is puffy and gets in the way of itself. lol

Quote Originally Posted by assortedagility View Post
    I'm no expert on the breed, but it is my understanding that this breed does need a bit more socialization than most. I've known two other Coton owners through dog competitions who've both said how much work there is to socialize this breed of dog(to prevent any kind of fear turning into aggression). But, for a pet, great great LOYAL dogs, as far as I've seen.
    Yes and no. CdT CRAVE social interaction (dogs, humans, animals). It's not so much that they turn bad if they don't get it, but they are happiest when they have it, and get well... sad if they don't. They're a party dog, and want to be everywhere. For this reason, my breeder will not home a retired adult CdT with a family that does not already have existing dogs. However, she also breeds havanese, and will place an adult Havanese in a less active, less social home. There isn't much fear (Holly is a special case, I don't use her as a breed bar), but they can be pretty ballsy, and get really happy really fast under a lot of stimulation, so do need to know how to function in different situations without the wagging tail getting in the way.
    Last edited by Moo; 03-26-2009 at 08:57 AM.

so, coton de tulear is a social dog, does it mean that I need to him out all the times?
    is it puppy better than adult, for training, build up relationship??

they do not have body odor, right or not? ( I read from other site said he does not have it)
    How often do you brush your CdT teeth? Also need a lot teeth treat?? to make his teeth healthy
    How often for take CdT to shower?
    Is it better to keep him in short hair??
    I read some other posts or site, said he barks...does he bark a lot??
    Some said he doesn't...some said he does??
    If I train him not to bark, he will become not bark. (I read from other web-site)
    Sorry........so many questions to ask

I just want to learn more about him, before buy coton de tulear...
    I think well prepare, I can treat him better and comfortable....

Where should I find the breeder in toronto?? I know pet stores are not a good place for buying any types of pet.
    Any good suggestions for CdT breeder in toronto
    Last edited by takiko; 03-26-2009 at 03:19 PM.

Blog Entries
    so, coton de tulear is a social dog, does it mean that I need to him out all the times? No, but he will want to be with you all the time. That's no to say that they don't have minds of their own- they have very BIG minds of their own. But at the end of the day, they'll want to be glued to your hip whether you're driving around town, jogging, or reading a book.
    is it puppy better than adult, for training, build up relationship?? I would say yes, but over-all they're pretty adaptable dogs.
    they do not have body odor, right or not? Right, they do not.
    How often do you brush your CdT teeth? Also need a lot teeth treat?? I wish I did it more. I don't do it enough. Chewing treats are great. Holly loves (non-edible) Nylabones.
    How often for take CdT to shower? Depends on how dirty your CdT gets. I like to bathe her every 2-3 weeks. He doesn't get as dirty, so every 1-2 months usually does fine for him.
    Is it better to keep him in short hair?? Depends on how much you care for brushing, and what you want to dog to look like. I used to keep Kirby short all the time. Now I altrenate long & short with Kirby, and leave Holly long most of the time. He's super handsome either way.
    I read some other posts or site, said he barks...does he bark a lot?? Some said he doesn't...some said he does?? Never. I did not hear Kirby bark until he was 8 months old. Now he only barks if he is extremely excited, or when they are guarding the property (ie, somebody knocks on the door). They do NOT bark in boredom, fear, for attention, etc.

Sorry........so many questions to ask
    Don't worry about it. I love answering them.

Where should I find the breeder in toronto?? Chances are, you won't be able to find a breeder right in Toronto. But many are willing to ship if they find your home to be suitable for the dog.

These are two of the bigger kennels in Canada with big reputations and do breed for and health, temperament with proven dogs. The Cotonnerie is in QC, and Jomarans is in SK.
    http://www.cotonnerie.com/
    http://www.jomarans.com/

You can also check the Coton de Tulear Club of Canada breeders directory. I am NOT sure about all of the breeders on the list though, so you'll have to dig around to find out how good they really are.
    http://www.coton.ca/

one last question, (maybe not)
    male or female better??

I read that female puppy, their emotion is hard to get....
    Now, I has find 2 breeder live near me, and I try to contact them

I have contacted one of the breeder, and she sold the CdT @ $2000, it is expensive or not???

How much is your CdT???
    Last edited by takiko; 03-30-2009 at 12:06 PM.

moo, I want to know that CdT @ $2000, is it expensive or not?? (I think quite)
    I read another breeder, it only need $1000 only....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast