Thread: Tumor on butt

Full Member Full Dog Member Squeaky's Avatar

Post Tumor on butt

My first dog (my parents wouldn't let me keep him, they wanted him too badly) has a tumor on his rear end. My mom took him to te vet today and it was a tumor! We thought maybe it was a hemroid but we we ever wrong! Has anyone ever had this problem before? Im a little scared! Hes only 8 and if he lost some weight he could go on for another 8! Hes still such a pup! I love him dearly and would just like some feedback and info from those who may know what its like! Please help!
    Squeaky

Full Member Full Dog Member missy30's Avatar
    Never had that happen, but I do know some people that their dog had a few tumors and they had them removed and she lived a long and happy life.
    Missy

Bud and Diamonds mom

-Be good to your pets because if nothing else they help to make us better people-

www.freewebs.com/missy30

www.melissaravenscroft.zoomshare.com

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Dax has tumors (about 5 at last count) that fill up with a fleshy type substance. They end up stretching the skin until the skin tears and start to bleed. She has had them since she was about 7 or 8 (if memory serves) and is ten this year.

The vet told us that it would require massive surgery and reconstruction. We opted not to go for it because of her age, etc. I'm glad we didn't. When they tumors get to the point where they will break, I make sure to clean out as much as possible and use pressure to stop the bleeding (they will bleed a lot).

I think doing nothing is sometimes better. She has no pain from them, we haven't had any breaking open in over a year. Surgery and treatment would have been extremely painful and might even have killed her.

Well...were getting it removed on Weds. It'll only cost $200 for removal and testing! The vet says all tumors are cancerious but I think thats a bunch of crock! Anyway I hope its not! The surgery will only take 1/2 hour and then we can pick him up after the anethetic has worn off! I hope my babys ok!!!!!!!!! Any suggestions on helping him lose weight. Hes 10 pounds to fat!!!!! Were cutting back on his food and we have weight loss vet food too. I know we gotta excercise him more too.
    Squeaky

My old pug had fatty tumors. They are not cancerious and my vet advised leaving them as long as they didn't obstruct her movement (on her hip/thigh). They never seemed to bother her and she lived just short of 14. I hope your baby is fine.
    As to loosing weight, I would be sure your dog isn't getting a lot of snacks. Then a "lean" food is in order. I also think feeding in two servings helped as she didn't seem to feel as hungry that way.

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    A weight reduction diet is great (Dax's weight in is in a few days). Also gradually increase the amount of exercise is good. Two walks a day (1/2 hours in the am when it's cooler and 1/2 hr in the evening) will help without putting too much strain on heart and joints.

Swimming is excellent exercise if your dog is so inclined.

Got Sheltie? Senior Dog Member+ weezyNollie's Avatar
    Removing masses is a very easy procedure. They use a sedative and don't even entirely sedate your dog. It's great your sending it off, cause it could be benign. Although, even if it is benign that doesn't mean he won't grow anymore new ones. I would just have the dog checked yearly to make sure there are no new growths, and if there are-- that they don't look abnormal!
    The Herding Herd.
    Brooke, Weezy, Ollie, and Ralphie

www.coloradoanimalrescue.org

Well its off and I guess it aint being sent offfor testing. That costs $150 more. We thought it was included. But anyway the vet says it looked like it was contained and not spreading. Im happy! So is Nikki!!!!!Thanx all!!!!
    Squeaky

And by the way....he lost a pound in one week, which I think is good!!!!!Thanx again all!!!!
    Squeaky

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Thumbs up oh my goshhh! me 2

my dog dede has the same exact thing and the skin is so tight that it bleeds and rips it pretty big and red!