Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Collie Puppy...won't stop biting!! HELP!!

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

New Collie Puppy...won't stop biting!! HELP!!

So this is my and my mom's first puppy, and I think we may have bitten off more than we can chew here I love her to death, she is so adorable and extremely smart! She's only 7 weeks, we got her at 6...those are the basics...

So we can't get her to stop biting! I know she is a herding dog, so her natural instinct is to round us up, and biting the ankles is part of that, and she also leans into us to try to get us to move where she wants...but other than just that basic biting, she also bites and chews everything! I know puppies chew, but this dog is crazy! We have tried every toy we can think of...smelly ones, moving ones, lighting up ones, squeaky ones, etc...but she just plain refuses to chew them! She will bite everything else in sight, however....our shoes, our clothing, esp fringes, garbage bags, our hair, and she doesn't stop at bare flesh. She doesn't just want to chew, she actually attacks, like lunges at you, even your face if you get too close! She's only licked me twice, and both times it was very subtle, more like a mistake lol I can't do anything with her! I try to pet her and she automatically bites. I only pet her when she is not biting, and I stop when she bites. I've tried impersonating a dog crying out when she bites (stopped her the first time, but now she doesn't care, no matter how much I sound like a real dog) I've tried holding her down (she fights like mad but eventually calms down...but as soon as I lift my hand, wham, she bites my hand again) I've tried saying "no" in a firm and loud voice, no dice...I reward all good behavior with treats and happy voice, petting, run of the house, etc...if she gets naughty she is sent back to her kennel.

I haven't known too many puppies in my life, but the few that I did know where EASILY diverted to toys when chewing, and they never attacked people's faces and played tug of war with people's pants!

I also try diverting her to toys when she bites, but as I said, she rejects them. Occasionally she'll take one (she likes a ball with a bell in it and she likes her smelly bone) but she won't always take them because she is only mildly interested even in them. She might take them, chew them for a few seconds, and then quickly loses interest. I figure she's just too smart for her own good, so I've been starting to train her...she is learning speak, come, sit, and heel. She already does most of those when asked, except for heel, which I've only worked with her once on so far. I never let her walk ahead of me, to make sure she knows I am in charge, but that was only one lesson and I fear I am not being alpha enough...but I'm not sure how else to put her in her place. Should I try growling at her? Wouldn't that just rial her up more???

So lost, please help! Once she gets larger those bites are going to start drawing blood, and I don't want to be bit to bleeding every day.
    I do portraits!! I can draw your dog if you'd like

www.jaclynbentleyequineart.com

Collie Magical Senior Dog Member+ SalemWitchChild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    lol. I'm sorry I know your sincere but you paint a picture so well and its downright funny to imagine a little puppy tugging on your pants.. lol

Ok. I have a collie myself. Though thankfully she's not that agressive in her herding instincts.

You got her a bit young. Puppies should not leave the mother till at least 8 weeks and preferably 12.

I think your doing the right things. When she bites, hold her mussle and say NO BITE. Try to divert her as you've done. Remember she is only 7 weeks. Persistance is key.

When she wants to bite, don't pet her. Remove her to cage for 5 minutes. Then bring her out, try to pet, if she bites, put her back in. Keep doing that till she learns that she can only have attention when she is not biting.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings,
    we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

Banned Senior Dog Member+
    it is a 7 week pup, and that is what they do. eat, poop, sleep, chew, naw, and nibble

Glitches Be Crazy Senior Dog Moderator RoughCollies's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Collie. Collie. Collie. Collie...... please please please post pictures!!!!!

Anyway, collies nip. It's part of the normal puppy process and most importantly collie instinct. Mine still nip. The difference is that like a lab carrying a bird to a hunter, they soft mouth. They have learned over time that it's better to nip each other while herding than it is people because nipping people results in consequences. One thing I've done with pups that small is a small yelp when they are play biting. It doesn't generally work as well on older pups but on babies it does because that's a noise they'd hear if they bit on a brother or sister if they bit too hard.

I have three collies myself, and four herding dogs altogether. They are absolutely wonderful dogs but nipping, herding and barking are a part of the package. I can tell you endless stories and give you plenty of first hand advice. PLEASE, crate train your pup. That's something that is really, really important in a herding dog because they are so inquisitive, like any puppy, but bore easier than many other pups will. A chew toy just won't do it.

Here are mine.

Dakota, 4yr old German Shepherd. Dixie, 2yr old Rough Collie. Faith, 5yr old Rough Collie. Mason, 9 month old Rough Collie.
    Glitch - Shannon Down Wreck it Ralph
    Spencer Sprout Dixie

Sugar Rush Whippets

RIP Hudson my love Senior Dog Member+ Hudsons~Mom's Avatar
    Anytime she puts her teeth where she souldnt you should yelp really loud to scare her "OUCH". This will scare her and if you keep doing this she will learn not to put her teeth were she shouldnt.

Also keep her busy with chews, there are a bunch of puppy toys she can chew on, the best ones are the ones you can freeze...this will help when she starts teething...just like a human baby chews helps with the pain...and frozen stuff is great...when Hudson was a baby I threw wet face cloths in the freezer and let him chew on those.

Good luck, post some pics and welcome to our crazy forum!!!
    Owned by Noodle, Nalla, Squeek, Lucius, and Bella....RIP Hudson my love I miss you.

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member
    Thanks for the advice guys!

I will continue to do what I have been doing I guess...it sounds like I'm doing the right stuff, she's just quite the biter! And I was surprised when mom said the breeder said the puppy could leave at 6 weeks myself! I'd never heard of that. I'm beginning to wonder if we got a reputable breeder. My mom says she seemed like a trustworthy lady, but I never got to meet her...mom picked Sadie out while I was out of town at a wedding. Like I said this is our first puppy, and actually we had been looking to adopt, so getting a puppy was a last minute decision my mom made. We didn't research the breeder, and we didn't even do research on collies. I knew basically what to expect, since she is a herding dog, but since doing research I've learned for instance that they are prone to eye diseases and you are supposed to get eye exams before you buy a puppy...I don't think this puppy was examined. It might be in her paperwork, but I never saw that, either. (Mom has it somewhere) And we are supposed to clean her ears, which we haven't done yet. I know I should do it but I know she's going to freak out lol But better to get her used to it now rather than later!

I like the frozen cloth idea...she loves chewing cloth! I was worried it might twist her intestines if she ingests it, though. Should I worry about that or not?

And yes she is most definitely crate training!

And yes I know herding and nipping is part of owning a herding dog, I don't mind that at all...it's her excessive biting that bothers me. You can't pet her unless she's tired, otherwise she bites like mad. She even stalks my feet like a cat! It's cute now, but it won't be later. Maybe she'll calm down as she gets older, though...as it was mentioned she's maybe just really too young yet.

As a side note, I want to do obedience training and agility training with her...when should I start? I heard you shouldn't start obedience training until 5 months, but that seems too late to me. Any advice?

I attached pics
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    I do portraits!! I can draw your dog if you'd like

www.jaclynbentleyequineart.com

Collie Magical Senior Dog Member+ SalemWitchChild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    yay she's a little cutie. IMO any breeder that would let a pup go that young isn't reputable. But since the damage is done, all you can do is make the best of it. There are plenty of great dogs out there that come from bybers too.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings,
    we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

Border Collie Freak Dog Moderator Rain's Avatar
    It's never too soon to start training, especially for obedience and agility. Start a separate thread on that, since you'll get a massive influx of info on it! We have a few obedience and agility nuts here.

Here's a picture of my (at the time) puppy on wobble board, which is the first step in learning contacts in agility.

And then a contact trainer... again as a puppy.

So, it's never too early to start!

As for chewing and biting... like Hudsons~Mom said... give out a loud yelp every time she bites you and turn away from her. Basically, shut her out for a minute. This is how their littermates respond when a puppy is being too rough. It's the beginning of learning bite inhibition.

Another suggestion for the chewing.... you said she enjoys her bones. Go to your local pet store and buy a couple of those hollow, white bones. Then buy a can of puppy food (same food you're already using.) Put a small amount of the canned food into the middle of the hollow bone, then freeze it. She will go to town on that bone with chewing, and smelling the canned food. It also helps her to learn what she can and cannot chew on.
    "If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan.

What i did with my doggie was that i bought a couple garden gloves and dedicated 20-30 minutes to let him bite my hands as much as he wanted. He was allowed to bite my hands ONLY when i was having the gloves on, this way he developed his bite inhibition and now after one and a half years he is very gentle.

We bonded when we were playing this game and he knew he needed to stop when the gloves were taken off.

Now when we play the same game and he bites a little bit harder i scream "ouch", he stops, lets me rub my finger, put my glove on and continue playing

Ouch = glove coming off

I did this with another puppy that i had 10 years ago and it worked too
    There are no bad dogs, only bad owners

The worst enemy for a dog's rehabilitation is the human mind

Glitches Be Crazy Senior Dog Moderator RoughCollies's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Oh too freakin cute! Send her to me, I'll let you have Mason my terror, er.... collie puppy. LOL.
    Glitch - Shannon Down Wreck it Ralph
    Spencer Sprout Dixie

Sugar Rush Whippets

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast