Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Separation Anxiety Between Dogs

Blog Entries

Question Separation Anxiety Between Dogs

I know all about separation anxiety between dogs and humans but is it possible that dogs suffer from separation anxiety between them?

Buddy's classes start this evening, so I took him to work with me so we can go right from work. My husband called me 15 minutes after I left and told me that Lola was going crazy. She kept running to the front window and crying, running from room to room. She is very attached to Buddy, in fact when we come back from our run in the morning, the first thing she does is look for him.

He ignored her as not to escalate her anxiety and finally she settled down but she jumps up every time she hears a noise.

Is she upset that I left with Buddy or is this separation anxiety over Buddy leaving? She sees me leave for work every day and she is fine after I leave.
    Life is short, play with your dog!

Dobermonster Mom Senior Dog Member+ dobermom's Avatar
    I personally think they can have seperation anxiety from each other, afterall, they are best buds.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    OPT TO ADOPT

She is attached to her brother and is upset that he left. This is exactly the reason it's soooo important to do things with each dog out of the house that requires the other dog to stay home. We all think that dogs need to be with each other all of the time. But the fact is letting dogs get so attached to each other that they get upset when the other goes is not fair to the dogs.

It's great that you have a job for Buddy and Buddy alone. Lola will have to learn how to be a dog of her own on those days, that is very good for all of you. Maybe your DH can take her for a walk before you leave on your class days, at least for the first few. This will keep her busy and when they get back she will be relaxed and a bit less upset.

Make a point of taking one dog and not the other a lot or if you take both dogs. Take one dog out of the car for a while then swap them out and take the other dog out. But take them out together less or your just going to build this problem until it's uncontrolable. How was class by the way?
    Serenity begins when you stop expecting and start accepting

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by saluki-sue View Post
    She is attached to her brother and is upset that he left. This is exactly the reason it's soooo important to do things with each dog out of the house that requires the other dog to stay home. We all think that dogs need to be with each other all of the time. But the fact is letting dogs get so attached to each other that they get upset when the other goes is not fair to the dogs.

It's great that you have a job for Buddy and Buddy alone. Lola will have to learn how to be a dog of her own on those days, that is very good for all of you. Maybe your DH can take her for a walk before you leave on your class days, at least for the first few. This will keep her busy and when they get back she will be relaxed and a bit less upset.

Make a point of taking one dog and not the other a lot or if you take both dogs. Take one dog out of the car for a while then swap them out and take the other dog out. But take them out together less or your just going to build this problem until it's uncontrolable. How was class by the way?
    Buddy's first class is tonight

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Holly does not do well when separated from Kirby. It's not so much a separation anxiety as it is an uncertainty and lack of confidence. She depends on him to make all her decisions for her, and to be the one to get his feet wet first. If he isn't there, she doesn't know what to do with herself. I guess she figures if nothing happens to Kirby, nothing will happen to her. Take him away, and she gets confused.

Kirby does have separation anxiety, but he's worked to the point that he only gets really bad if he's completely alone, which is basically never now. Even guinea pigs were company enough for them. The space between losing the guinea pigs and getting a Holly were the worst for him, anxiety wise. He was so alone by himself that he would cry until he threw up every time he was alone.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

I miss you Denali Senior Dog Member+ Dignity's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    With Loki - Denali can go out with somebody else and he's fine... I can go out and leave Denali and he is fine. If both Denali and I are going - that boy cries like he's being tortured!
    Beauty without Vanity; Strength without Insolence; Courage without Ferocity; and all the virtues of Man without his Vices. -- Lord Byron "Epitaph to a Dog"
    ♥ Bone Cancer Awareness ♥ RIP Denali ♥

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo View Post
    Holly does not do well when separated from Kirby. It's not so much a separation anxiety as it is an uncertainty and lack of confidence. She depends on him to make all her decisions for her, and to be the one to get his feet wet first. If he isn't there, she doesn't know what to do with herself. I guess she figures if nothing happens to Kirby, nothing will happen to her. Take him away, and she gets confused.

Kirby does have separation anxiety, but he's worked to the point that he only gets really bad if he's completely alone, which is basically never now. Even guinea pigs were company enough for them. The space between losing the guinea pigs and getting a Holly were the worst for him, anxiety wise. He was so alone by himself that he would cry until he threw up every time he was alone.
    Aw how sad, poor baby

Quote Originally Posted by saluki-sue View Post

EXCELLANT advice.... And I made the mistake when I got Greda of telling Mattie that Greda was HERS... ha ha, HUGE mistake... Greda because hers... Mattie was fine, but Greda bonded so intently to Mattie that to this day I am having issues because of it... She would rather be in a crate at a show with Mattie than out with me, but we have worked past a lot of that... But it happens... So separate play time... I actually had to stop allowing play between the two dogs for some time... All play time was with me, or not at all... It is hard... They are not allowed to "tug" with eachother, only me, but it is better now... So I KNOW how that feels!!! Just one more thing to work thru!!!
    I'm not bossy, I just have better ideas!

Blog Entries
    Lola made it though the day without Buddy but my husband said she was depressed and layed around the house all day..not normal at all for her! When I brougt Buddy home she wet herself she was so excited. She covered him in kisses from head to toe...Sooooo, I will be taking Buddy out of the house without her periodically to get her used to being without him.

It can't be periodically right now, it has to be a lot. At least once a day take them out to go potty alone, take or have your DH take Buddy for a walk alone and don't talk to Lola while she's flipping out. If you only do it every now and again your going to make things harder for both dogs, Lola will think she's being punished when ever you take her brother anywhere without out her and Buddy won't under stand why she's so upset. Instead you want them to think "oh it's my turn to stay home, wonder what mom/dad and I are going to do while we wait for the others to come back". Not "OH MY GOD!!! their going again and may never come home"
    Serenity begins when you stop expecting and start accepting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast