Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excessive Urination

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Red face

I have a Lab puppy (7mos old) who is incredibly smart and wants to please... However, I have one huge problem. Everytime someone comes to visit he pee's all over them... and not just once. It doesn't matter if it's inside or outside. Any suggestions for breaking him of this?

Senior Dog Member

It could be submissive urination (she sowing that she's submissive to the visitors) - generally a dog will be on his back and pee a little.

Or it could be excitability. Try putting your dog out when the visitors come. After she comes in - try not to get her too excited - and don't have the guests pay too much attention to her. I think trying to keep her calm would be your best bet.

Mom and WSS Breeder Senior Dog Member+ NicoleLJ's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Here is what I would do. When visitors come to visit have a crate in the room that you are usually visiting in. Before you answer the door put the dog in the crate with a Kong. Then go to the door and let your visitors in. In invit them into the room and sit down and talk. After several minutes to half an hour give one of the visitors a treat and let only that one visitor go to the crate to give the dog a treat with little fuss. You ignore the dog and so do the other visitors. When that one has done that and come back then let the next person go and so on. THis teaches the dog that being calm gives treats and there is no reason to be upset or be submisive. Being in her crate will give her confidence. Locking her outside or away when people come can cause some problems. It teaches some dogs that they are being punished by being put away when people come. This way they are in teh same room. See so reason to get excited and get treats to boot.

Full Member Full Dog Member
    I have a 18month boxer, and shell pee i guess cuz she is happy to see me everytime I come in the door,,, is there anyway too break that

Wink

well KROGERS...your girlfriend IS a dog trainer...so why don't you ask her?????

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So... am I correct in guessing there is some history between you {wink wink - say what}

haha--yeah I've got him hooked to this too now! We'll see how it turns out! ok---I'm sorry...didnt mean to take from the original thread!

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    No worries.. thread was not dealing with an active problem.

so--yesterday was my last day with PetsMart...and my first day with Banfield! Im excited!!!! hehe

Full Member Full Dog Member
    omg,,, well, if my gf was a decent trainer she wouldnt be peeing everywhere,,,,,,,hhhmmmmmm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast