Thread: Nippy puppy loves to nip

Full Member Full Dog Member glrbackes's Avatar

Nippy puppy loves to nip

My 10 week puppy is very nippy and I dont know what to do. She bites hard and often.
    I have tried:
    Yelping like another pupp
    Leaving her alone, not paying attention to her
    Redirecting her to toys
    Taking her out, playing with her, feeding her... I dont think shes communicating a need
    Growling at her
    Teaching her kisses (which she seems to know, but only does for treats)

These all have given results for maybe a day but most of the time she just gets more excited and nippy
    I'm worried this might be aggressive behavior. She's always the more aggressive fighter when playing with other puppies. And she nips at me when she doesnt want to do something. I'm afraid this will progress into a more serious problem and I'm hoping for some more tips on discouraging her behaviour.

I appreciate any suggestions

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This is not aggression. It's mostly attention seeking.

What you have to do is pick ONE method, do it all the time, and STICK TO IT. Consistency is the key. The puppy is only 10 weeks. That means that over a maximum 2 weeks of training, you've switched methods at least four times. What this means, is that if she persists, then she will get what she wants. You have to be more resilient than the dog. If you're going to ignore the dog, pull away quickly, and react whenever the mouthing occurs. You have to be consistent about what behavior is unwanted, and what the consequence is for that behavior.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

Thanks for replying so quickly Moo!
    Okay, I'll try not to give her attention when she nips, and work in this method for a while. I do believe she nips because she isnt getting what she wants.
    But my problem is when I ignore her she gets into stuff and chews on things, shes not supposed. I dont know how I'm supposed to leave her alone in a room with the door shut like all the books say. She will pick and chew at the carpet if there's nothing else. And so I feel like if I give her a toy to distract her she's still getting attention.
    I've tried stationing her to something but she jsut pulls and pulls and gets extremely anxious. I feel like that might be a form of torture in itself, and am jsut worried about what could happen if she pulled too much.
    But that seems like the only option.

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It doesn't need to be long, it just needs to be immediate. Puppies don't have the capacity to link a long term consequence to a behavior. If you choose to turn away quickly, then do it. Say "No Bite!" sternly and loudly then turn your back. But it really only needs to be for a couple of seconds. Give it 15 seconds (or until she stops trying to get your attention, jumping up, etc) then turn around and offer a hand. You really just have to surprise the dog. If she resists it or licks it, then offer praise, if she still nips, then repeat. With puppies, it's simply a matter of actions reaction. If I nip, she turns away. If I lick, I get petted. Action and reaction.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

Thanks again Moo.
    You're right I do need to stick with one thing and stop confusing the poor pupp. I guess I was just trying to find what worked for her when she really jsut needs some consistency.
    Also, I've read that if a dog enjoys her crate it can be used as a place to isolate her when being nippy. Whats your take on that?

Quote Originally Posted by glrbackes View Post
    Thanks again Moo.
    You're right I do need to stick with one thing and stop confusing the poor pupp. I guess I was just trying to find what worked for her when she really jsut needs some consistency.
    Also, I've read that if a dog enjoys her crate it can be used as a place to isolate her when being nippy. Whats your take on that?
    Moo had some great advice!! And I agree with all of it.

One more thing that might help is to be very calm when you play with your puppy. this does not mean quiet but just make the play be more of a gentle tummy rub. the calmer you can keep your pup and the less excited she is, the less nippy she will be to you.

Second, if you try just giving her 15 seconds and do it over and over and you just think she is too worked up and needs some time to herself... I suggest either putting her in a little pen or a crate. the pen is like one of those things you buy at a pet shop just to keep your dogs in one little area. you can keep a good chew toy or two in there all the time. so if she starts to just get to intense, you can just put her in there for a few minutes. or you can do this with a crate. but the trick to the crate is you cannot shove your dog in there and act angry. because you would want the crate to be a good, relaxing place for your puppy. pup has to get used to her crate and like it, then if she just needs to chill, gently put her in there. if she does not want to go you can't really force her. also have good chews in the crate (oh and make sure you really have some very good chew toys or bones)

hope this helps. good luck with your puppy. i am sure i am about go through this all over again in about a week

Banned
    I haven't read all posts.
    My application is the same with all dogs, be it pup or grown (rescue) dogs.
    Noise aversion......right off the bat.I turn my back and make the "AhAh " every single time.
    This has to be done many times over......once the dog realizes I control the situation I start teaching hand signals.....Be firm
    Good Luck!!!