Thread: Salt water and fleas....

Senior Dog Member

Question Salt water and fleas....

Growing up I would always hear take your dog to the ocean the salt water will kill the fleas.Is this a old wifes tale or is it really true? And if so couldnt you just give a bath in sea salt??

Worriaholic Senior Dog Member+ BabyElephant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't know if that's true but I do know that bathing in sea salt won't have the same effect. I don't know why but it doesn't. My brother's eczema always clears up when he swims in the sea on holiday but using sea salt in the bath at home doesn't work...
    Quote Originally Posted by micki View Post
    Lipsticks are lost everyday but love is forever

Senior Dog Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyElephant View Post
    I don't know if that's true but I do know that bathing in sea salt won't have the same effect. I don't know why but it doesn't. My brother's eczema always clears up when he swims in the sea on holiday but using sea salt in the bath at home doesn't work...
    I think it has to be a certain kind of salt.. like not table salt that we use to cook with.. I know they sell sea salt and it's diffrent from table salt.

Worriaholic Senior Dog Member+ BabyElephant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yep, the sea salt you can buy is very different to table salt. I use sea salt in cooking - I can't stand the taste of table salt now!
    Quote Originally Posted by micki View Post
    Lipsticks are lost everyday but love is forever

Senior Dog Member
    Yep, the sea salt you can buy is very different to table salt. I use sea salt in cooking - I can't stand the taste of table salt now!
    I've never tasted sea salt..Does it make food taste saltier and do you use less?

Gone crazy! Senior Dog Member+ OnyxsMom's Avatar
    Ive heard bathing in Dawn dish soap, and leaving on for 5 + minutes will kill flea's on the animal. Still have to treat the environment

^Corgwn Madness^ Senior Dog Member+
    HA! Same here! Can't get enough of it but... You MUST try French gray!!! Eat it, and you'll never want to go back. Well, except the price might get you down (its worth it though)
    Quote Originally Posted by taztiff30 View Post
    I've never tasted sea salt..Does it make food taste saltier and do you use less?
    Yes! You use MUCH less of it, which is why its a healthier option. But, its NOT iodized. So, you'll have to find something else for iodine in your diet.
    Quote Originally Posted by OnyxsMom View Post
    Ive heard bathing in Dawn dish soap, and leaving on for 5 + minutes will kill flea's on the animal. Still have to treat the environment
    Yep it works, used it on Jinjo till I could get frontline. But, if you do have an infestation, you really need a prevention, these are just cover ups and most only work for 2 hours, 24 tops.

actualy water in general kills fleas. THey drowned!

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Fleas hide in all body crevices when they sense water. You would have to submerse your entire dog, ears and all, to get by without either using a product, or physically searching the dog and manually killing the fleas yourself. That's why when you use a flea shampoo, you always lather around the ears and neck and butt first, before you get the dog wet- it builds a wall so that the fleas can't hide.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪