Thread: Dog ate aluminum foil yesterday!

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Dog ate aluminum foil yesterday!

Yep my lab ate foil yesterday from the garbage. I came home and the garbage can was all over the house!!! Well in it was some aluminum foil I lined 2 cookie sheets with that I put bacon on to put in the oven. I found shred's of foil all over the house, but no real big pieces. I had it waded up pretty good in a clump. I have a feeling he picked it apart pretty good but he did eat alot. It was not reynolds wrap it was generic so it was thinner foil. He is eating and drinking, but he threw up last night. I did not see it, hubby cleaned it up before I could see it. I did not see if he poo'd this morning it was dark yet outside. I'm going to call the vet, but do you think I have anything to worry about. He seems fine otherwise! This poor dog is costing us so much money with his allergies....he's got to stop this stuff!!!

Your right to call your vet for help. My vet the owners of foil eaters to give them a few tablespoons of pure tomato paste, not sause but the paste that comes out of the little tiny can. The acid will help break down the foil.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Serenity begins when you stop expecting and start accepting

Gone crazy! Senior Dog Member+ OnyxsMom's Avatar
    I would give the vet a call and see what they recommend. A phone call never costs anything....

Good luck.

Blog Entries
    I would also call the vet. You need to make sure that you do something with the garbage can when you are not at home from now on. I know we can't think of everything before leaving home but i think it would be a good ideal if you did something with the garbage can from now on.
    Dogs are like childern but with fur.
    They are my best friend and lover.
    With out them i wouldn't be complete.

If it was a little piece I would not worry about it, but the bigger the piece and the more balled up it is I would certainly be concerned and call the vet. Hopefully everything will come out okay and just look for shiny poop wth bling!
    Love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.

Kabil Gibran

Well I just talked to the vet, who laughed because this dog is so darn accident prone and well just has health issues to began with!!! So let's just say they all know me well at the vet clinic. Anyways, she said to watch him very closely and make sure that if he starts to become lathargic or vomitting blood or pooing blood then to bring him in right away. So for now we just watch and see. I think he shredded the foil pretty well in his quest to destroy the garbage so hopefully it's in smaller pieces. This is however the same dog that broke a pint jar of sauerkraut(homemade) and ate it all, glass and all. There was very few larger pieces of glass and that was it!!! Yeah, he's a crazy dog.

Well, my dog is still doing well. He's been passing it slowly in his poo....and he puked once more friday morning and had some in it. But otherwise he's doing well. The garbage situation is being handled now, it's being put up on the laundry room counter until I can get a very secure can that he can not open!!!

Banned Senior Dog Member+
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyf35 View Post
    Well, my dog is still doing well. He's been passing it slowly in his poo....and he puked once more friday morning and had some in it. But otherwise he's doing well. The garbage situation is being handled now, it's being put up on the laundry room counter until I can get a very secure can that he can not open!!!
    Just think of what he probably eats that you do not know about.

Yeah, I hate to think what that dog eats when I'm not looking!!! But from now on, it won't be my garbage!!! Lesson learned!