Thread: Flea and Heartworm Treatment Online?

Full Member Full Dog Member

Flea and Heartworm Treatment Online?

Hi,

With 2 dogs and 2 cats all of the monthly treatments are starting to get expensive. I obviously want to give it to them, so I thought I would check online to see if I can find it cheaper. I found a few sites, but I thought I would check and see if anyone has some insider secrets. Has anyone found any sites that are good to buy from? Having worked for a vet before, I really hate to take the business away from them but I can't compromise my ability to pay other more important vet bills b/c of loyalty.

Got Sheltie? Senior Dog Member+ weezyNollie's Avatar
    These are some recent finding from my clinic. PetMeds buys all products second hand. Some stolen by employees and sold to petmeds. They send faxes to clinics asking doctors to buy products and sell to them. Then, the manufacturers do NOT give you any supportive care if you need it. IE -- adverse reactions. THEN, the most recent finding is that we have had three separate clients contact the manufacturer/pharm company about the lot number. They have been non-existent. Meaning PetMeds is making up lot numbers... which to me says RED FLAG all over it.

I don't trust the companies. I don't think it's worth it to get the product for that cheap and not know where it came from, how it was stored, and that it could even be artificial.

The best option is to find a veterinary clinic willing to price match the company. That way you can get quality product, for decent prices.
    The Herding Herd.
    Brooke, Weezy, Ollie, and Ralphie

www.coloradoanimalrescue.org

Quote Originally Posted by weezyNollie View Post
    These are some recent finding from my clinic. PetMeds buys all products second hand. Some stolen by employees and sold to petmeds. They send faxes to clinics asking doctors to buy products and sell to them. Then, the manufacturers do NOT give you any supportive care if you need it. IE -- adverse reactions. THEN, the most recent finding is that we have had three separate clients contact the manufacturer/pharm company about the lot number. They have been non-existent. Meaning PetMeds is making up lot numbers... which to me says RED FLAG all over it.

I don't trust the companies. I don't think it's worth it to get the product for that cheap and not know where it came from, how it was stored, and that it could even be artificial.

The best option is to find a veterinary clinic willing to price match the company. That way you can get quality product, for decent prices.
    Ugh...I already refuse to buy vaccinations from anywhere but a clinic b/c of things like that (it's not uncommon to vaccinate your own horse), I had no idea it could happen with flea treatments! For the record though, I wasn't looking at Petmeds...they are actually more expensive than my clinic.

^Corgwn Madness^ Senior Dog Member+
    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlnat View Post
    Ugh...I already refuse to buy vaccinations from anywhere but a clinic b/c of things like that (it's not uncommon to vaccinate your own horse), I had no idea it could happen with flea treatments! For the record though, I wasn't looking at Petmeds...they are actually more expensive than my clinic.
    Tell me about it! YEARS ago, I looked at Petmeds to see "how" much cheaper they were, and they were actually more expensive than my own vet!
    In any case, about the only other place I'd trust than the Vet is a major retail outlet, I sometimes buy from Tractor supply company and have bought from Foster&Smith before. Other than that, I have found my vet to be about the best place if you buy in larger quantities (6 tubes of F&T product same price as everywhere else and you get one free).

Quote Originally Posted by ~WelshStump~ View Post
    Tell me about it! YEARS ago, I looked at Petmeds to see "how" much cheaper they were, and they were actually more expensive than my own vet!
    In any case, about the only other place I'd trust than the Vet is a major retail outlet, I sometimes buy from Tractor supply company and have bought from Foster&Smith before. Other than that, I have found my vet to be about the best place if you buy in larger quantities (6 tubes of F&T product same price as everywhere else and you get one free).
    Having worked for Rural King, I wouldn't trust them either. A lot of times items get left out in the hot sun or in room w/o air conditioning. I found a few websites that are about $30 cheaper than my vet. Entirelypets.com and petsupplies4less.com

I'm thinking about going with the Advantage Multi...we don't have a real tick problem at my house, I've only found 1 this year and I think the only reason he got that is b/c there's a lot of brush behind my privacy fence. We treated our yard for bugs though and haven't seen any since. I can get it from my vet for about $10 more than the cost of ordering the Advantix or Advantage plus the heartworm pills. The biggest problem where I live is the Sand Fleas.

Pom Mom Senior Dog Member+ Deb's Tiny Dogs's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've been buying from Drs. Foster and Smith and haven't heard anything negative. But, I agree that the best thing is to see if your vet will price match.
    Forever my boys, Bogey and Miko. All my love till we meet again.

Sled Dog Guardian Senior Dog Member+ lakotasong's Avatar
    If you get preventatives from anywhere other than your veterinarian, the product guarantee is void. So, as someone said, if your animal has an adverse reaction - you're screwed. You also have no guarantee as to how the product has been packaged, handled, stored, etc. when not purchasing it from a veterinarian. It's worth the extra money, in my mind, for the peace of mind that comes from buying from your vet. I use Advantage Multi on all of my dogs and cats, and my boss does a deal where if you buy six (an entire box) you get one free. She does this with all of our flea and heartworm products. I LOVE Advantage Multi because it gets darn near everything you could think of and its topical. It's expensive, but worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by lakotasong View Post
    If you get preventatives from anywhere other than your veterinarian, the product guarantee is void. So, as someone said, if your animal has an adverse reaction - you're screwed. You also have no guarantee as to how the product has been packaged, handled, stored, etc. when not purchasing it from a veterinarian. It's worth the extra money, in my mind, for the peace of mind that comes from buying from your vet. I use Advantage Multi on all of my dogs and cats, and my boss does a deal where if you buy six (an entire box) you get one free. She does this with all of our flea and heartworm products. I LOVE Advantage Multi because it gets darn near everything you could think of and its topical. It's expensive, but worth it.
    Well, doing the math for everything, I'm better off going w/the advantage multi anyway. By the time I buy the flea and heartworm seperately, i'm close to the same price I would pay at the vet anyway.