Thread: Help!!!

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Help!!!

Hello,

My girlfriend and I have a huge problem.

She entrusted her two pomeranians with her "friends" Sarah and Kacey until she was able to get back on her feet and take them back from them. They agreed to this being only a temporary thing. The time frame was about 6 months and when it was time to get them they did not want to give them up... We've made MANY phone calls to them asking for them back and when we could pick them up. The trouble is my girlfriend moved in with me in New York from her home state of Idaho. (where Sarah, Kacey and the dogs are currently)

Can we take legal action against them and if so would we file here or in Idaho?

I'm not sure what to do or if this is even the correct place to start looking but ANY help would be most appreciated..

Thank you.

are the animals registerd to you guys?
    "AND OUR GOD WHO CREATED THEM
    KNOWS THIER SUFFERING, AND WILL
    HOLD HIM WHO CAUSES THEM TO
    SUFFER UNNECESSARILY TO ANSWER
    FOR IT"

GEORGE CANNON

I believe she has ownership papers and vet records for the dogs..

Mommy Status Senior Dog Member+
    I believe she has ownership papers and vet records for the dogs..
    That's good because it will work in your favor.

Also have you been paying for the dogs bills (food, vet care etc) ? And if so do you have a record of what you've been paying for? All these things will probably be what the courts look at!

Yes, She has most of the vet bills/returned checks from payments and i believe she even has the check(s) from when she purchased them.

Full Member Full Dog Member
    If your girlfriend has proof of purchase then her friends have no right to keep the dogs.I would ring the police on this mater and tell them that they were looking after the dogs while she was geting back on her feet.Was she going in the hospital when she asked her friends to look after her dogs if so mention that to the police.All you have to do is prove to the police that she brought the dogs eg. reciept of purchase.Also where did she get them from if she got them from a breeder she can give the police the breeders contact number and they will ask the breeder.The breeder keeps records of where his or her pups go.Her friends have no leg to stand on if they say the dogs have been abused they need proof to back that up i'm not saying your girlfriend does abuse them.I know what people will do to try and keep someone elses dog.Some guy wanted my golden retriever but he didn't have a leg to stand on.Also say to your friends if you don't return the dogs i'll be taking this to court that normally makes them return them.Has your girlfriend been giving her friends money for the dogs food,housing,and vet care while they were with her friends.This has something to do with it too cause they can say while the dogs were here we had to buy there food and look after them but if your girlfriend brought there food to last them until she could take them back they can't claim the dogs.Really all you need is proof of purchase and your girlfriend should get her dogs back.Next time your girlfriend has to go to hospital i think you or take them to an animal hotel.I wouldn't trust her friends no more also if you do prove the dogs are hers you could have them charged for stealing not sure there but i know in australia you can.

Mommy Status Senior Dog Member+
    Yes, She has most of the vet bills/returned checks from payments and i believe she even has the check(s) from when she purchased them.
    Then yes. You'll almost certainly have rights to your dogs!

Senior Dog Member
    I went through a similar situation. When my mother fell ill, I needed to live on the east coast to help take care of her. The "friends" that offered to care for my 2, decided that they liked them too much to return them. Even though I had receipts for vet bills, because they had registered the dogs in their name, the police said it was a court issue. I then went to a lawyer friend and asked him to draw up a lawyer-ese letter to scare them. They called the day they got the letter. Sometimes all you need to do is show that you're willing to fight it out. I would call the police in the city where the dogs are now and ask what proof you need. If their registration is to your gf, then you shouldn't have any problems getting them back.

Get your babies back!!

That's crazy! I fostered a dog for 6 months and when the time came no matter how hard it was I gave "Lady" who is a beautiful Aussie back. Maybe you could remind them of the original terms you had set up. I agree that if you have been responsible for vet bills and have a purchas reciept it should be a no brainer in court other than the fact that you'll have to pay court ees

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This thread is over 3 years old. Hopefully the topic is no longer an issue.

Please check dates before replying.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪