Thread: Itchy dog, Your driving me CRAZY!

^Corgwn Madness^ Senior Dog Member+

Unhappy Itchy dog, Your driving me CRAZY!

Here we go again! We planned on a vet trip within the next month. He always gets bad at the end of the year, but honestly. I noticed about a month ago he was getting that red ick again under his pits and it has spread all over them now, so gross! (like that stuff small white breeds get under their eyes)

I gave him a bath Thursday (because I like him clean right before I put his flea stuff on). I saw as I washed his feet where he has licked all the under coat off the inside of his right foot. It was Saturday I noticed he started to attack his muzzle really good, and then his groin area (like when the fleas were around). Its gotten REALLY bad now, I can't touch those areas without him flipping. I put the frontline on Monday morning. He was just going NUTS last night, I've been checking EVERY day and he has NOTHING on him! His skin is as clean as the day he had his bath (except the pits of coarse). What bothered me most, was the frontline area was exceptionally itchy, he's NEVER had a problem EVER. He was so bad I gave him a benedril last night, but he was still itchy now on top of being so sleepy he didn't want to go out to pee this morning!

At first the only thing I could think of was, Noods is VERY itchy right now, but thats called fleas (err, old people who need to go in a home!), so I told my mother get him BioSpot. Thing is, she's been bringing their cloths here for washing (they can't get to the laundrymat any more), they must be holding the bugs!! But Jinjo has NOTHING on him! You'd see something if it were bugs, and he's frontlined regularly. The cloths are also kept in the mudroom, or basement and washed ASAP (he just runs through the mudroom, and basements off limits).

Well, thats when I got on today and now know that others are having similar symptoms with TotW, and I am going to stop feeding it to him. I'm also going to DE the house a bit just in case (mostly the mudroom rug). If things don't clear up soon, its back to the vets! Problem, what can they do? Allergy panel is out, because we already know he's allergic to the weeds with meds being the only help. I think I may start taking him on walks across the road and re-mow the field path to the woods.
    UH!!!! It just kills me! Because I know there isn't much more I can do.
    Like I said, every dang year!

I miss you Denali Senior Dog Member+ Dignity's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Denali's been very itchy too and I'm constantly having to stop her from itching! I think her's is from the weather getting hotter so the A/C is running more and more.

Hope Jinjo is doing better - I know how annoying and all it can be!
    Beauty without Vanity; Strength without Insolence; Courage without Ferocity; and all the virtues of Man without his Vices. -- Lord Byron "Epitaph to a Dog"
    ♥ Bone Cancer Awareness ♥ RIP Denali ♥

ahh first post on here for months

first thing fleas are like head-lice they get used to a treatment when its used so much so most of my clients have found frontline not working any more in the uk, i personally dont use flea products as dont like chemicals on my dogs

my lhasa has really bad allergies and my old flat coat used to be allergic to fleas never had flares but if he was ever near flears he would itch him self raw

squirty bottle with a glug of apple cider vinegar or aloe vera on the sore patches will cool it and help it heal up quickly and its safe if the dog licks it

feeding 1 or under a clove of garlic or adding garlic tablets in to the dogs diet till help ward of fleas from going near the dog also this is a grate grooming spray to keep all wee beasties away
    21 drops Geraium
    21 drops Eucaiyptus
    14 drops Tea Tree
    14 drops Lavender

210ml warm water ad together and shake well b4 each use

and a nice boring bland diet usually helps cool down allergy flair ups and i usually dose a non drowsy hay fever pill half in morning half at night for 5ish day usually long enough to cut out the scratch cycle
    What is the difference between a dog and a fox?

About 5 drinks

Well, 2 days of TofW, no change and I'm even "snowed" on right now with wads of his hair all over the bed room floor. So I'm mixing it back in. I also got coupons for a new Wellness food, its there version of "limited ingredient, allergy" so I'll see if anyone has it yet around here (or till the coupons run out. He did well on there Lamb, but still wanted more weight off him at the time and CalNat is cheaper).
    We are going to see if we can get him in to the vet within the next month anyway. And I'm 100% positive there are NO fleas. He does this EVERY year about this time, so right now I'm actually thinking about a half Raw diet. Just do it during allergy season, kibble off (probably wont run by parents though, the garden did JUNK this year with Veggies).
    And NO ACV for him, made him the sickest he's ever been.

if you are happy feeding raw why not just do the whole switch over and be done with it

when i had my lhasa who will bald him self from belly to bum once on raw it cleared up really fast was bit worried about making sure he had all his correct nutrients for his breed and with the with the vast amount of supplements on the market now its not something you need to worry about.

id move the dog to a raw diet b4 seeing the vet as vets usually just dose with steroids or antihisstermin which will only mask the problems for a short while

my lhasa is now feed on origen and home cooked meat and veg as he stay with my boyfriend in the week and he hates touching raw meat lol men lol
    What is the difference between a dog and a fox?

About 5 drinks

Yeah, they just drug him while he's there then he seems good till the next year. Which is one reason why I'm hesitant to diet switch 100% (being seasonal not year round).
    We are sure at this point its the grass (which does need mowing like TODAY! oops), and I just don't see much around that. A natural bland diet would help the system, but its such a huge problem for him. Hes even broke skin I noticed this morning, and I washed his back paws last night after he removed most his cost from them which actually seems to have helped most. I don't like giving him to many baths (dry skin also), but right now we seem to be headed back to the tube again (which if its mostly the grass or something in it, thats probably the only thing that is going to help right now).
    I'm hoping I can get a medicated Shampoo from his vet maybe (the otc stuff actually made him worse! go figure).

And forgot to mention, we can't go raw year round because we can't do it cheap! He can't have chicken! which is the only way to do it cheap around here (Why do people feel the need to have cows as pets?).