Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What shots does an 8 week old puppy need?

Full Member Senior Dog Member

What shots does an 8 week old puppy need?

I was thinking of bringing her to a vet that I have heard of before but now after talking to the Angels of Assisi place further they do all the vaccanations she needs so should I just stick to taking her there?

Also when I called they said she would only need her Distemper booster shot right now, since she had parvo and distemper at 5 1/2 weeks, what other shots am I going to need as she grows? I don't want to walk in there not knowing anything and everything online says something different, they say some vacs aren't needed while others say they are all important. I am really excited though because the office visit is $10 for whatever is getting done and then the distemper booster is only 10 as well, which is way cheaper then I thought it would be.
    ~"Be who you are and say what you will because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"~ Dr. Seuss

My breeder had Josie on a 5 way shot. at 8 weeks old She had her updated 5 way shot last week at 12 weeks. In about 4 weeks she's going back into the vets again to get another shot. Then it goes on from there. She should be dewormed up until 11 weeks old then you can start putting her on heart worm preventative at 12 weeks.

She will not get her rabies until she hits 5 months old because i don't want to overwhelm her system. I hear vets who give puppies shots usually use the same amount of dosage for adult dogs which can be dangerous.That's why Josie does not get vaccinated for everything all at once. I made sure my vet spread it out and he agreed to it fortunately.

talk to your vet about it he should know what needs to be done and you can decide from there if it sounds right. Let them know about your concern for over vaccinating and they should be able to work with you from there. Depends on the vet too i think every vet works alittle different.

Bite Me. Senior Dog Member+ Maliraptor's Avatar
    At 8 weeks I give DA2PP. Note I do NOT give either Lepto OR Corona Virus. But I strongly urge anyone with a new puppy to discuss what vaccines to give with their vet. The vet can tell you what is best for your area as well as check for general things like heart issues, eye issues, etc.

I am in the minority, I give 8 week vaccines, and then 12 week vaccines, and that is it!
    "Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too." --Voltaire

Gone crazy! Senior Dog Member+ OnyxsMom's Avatar
    I do DA2PP as well, then at 4 months I do rabies, and then nothing unless they need it. I dont vaccinate yearly, and probably never will. Rabies gets done once every 3 years, and the only time I give anything extra is if I board, or am heading to a high risk area. This is just how I do it. I dont feel the need for to over vaccinate my dogs.

Bite Me. Senior Dog Member+ Maliraptor's Avatar
    Ohh yeah, should have mentioned I do rabies also- I try to put it off until they are older than 6 months, though.
    "Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too." --Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by OnyxsMom View Post
    I do DA2PP as well, then at 4 months I do rabies, and then nothing unless they need it. I dont vaccinate yearly, and probably never will. Rabies gets done once every 3 years, and the only time I give anything extra is if I board, or am heading to a high risk area. This is just how I do it. I dont feel the need for to over vaccinate my dogs.

This was how my parents where as well and we always had healthy dogs, I take it all your dogs have been healhty as well? Our one friend did the same w/her dog saying a lot of the vaccinations weren't necessary I just didn't know if that was true or not.
    ~"Be who you are and say what you will because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"~ Dr. Seuss

Gone crazy! Senior Dog Member+ OnyxsMom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doubleminttwin View Post
    This was how my parents where as well and we always had healthy dogs, I take it all your dogs have been healhty as well? Our one friend did the same w/her dog saying a lot of the vaccinations weren't necessary I just didn't know if that was true or not.
    All my dogs are as healthy as the day they came home. I dont vaccinate yearly, BUT, I do titer. I think there is a difference between opting to not vaccinate due to health/medical reasons, and not doing it because, well, just because. If the titer ever came back with a low antibody, then I would vaccinate for that, and that alone.

In some area's titering is not acceptable, so you might want to check on this. If you ever plan to board, or travel, or do ANYTHING that requires UTD vaccinations, you may have a problem, as alot of people are not familiar with titering yet.

I have changed vets a few times in the past year, as certain things crop up, and I do not like the vets thinking on certain issue's. I am very finicky about my dogs health, therefore I dont mess around with it. I like the vet we have now, and he is 100% on board with me when it comes to not over vaccinating. Another thing you might want to consider.... vets do not always see eye to eye in decisions you make.

If you opt to not vaccinate after your puppy rounds are complete, I do suggest you at least titer. Talk to your vet about vacc's you want, or dont want. They will likely almost always tell you that you need something you dont. Like I said before, I give DA2PP at 8 weeks, again at 12, and then rabies at 16. And thats it except the 3 year rabies, which is required by law where I am.

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I also only give the Distemper combo... Except here there's no A, it's DHPP
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

I don't mind the cost, I have a low cost clinic near me that does almost everything for $10 I just don't like the idea of giving them tons of meds that they don't need. We took Baya to introduce her to different vets today to see if any seemed like a better fit than the angels place but honestly I was suprised at how rude they were, didn't say hi to Baya at all, listed out prices and two pages worth of medications that she would need and no we couldn't meet the vet they were busy with other things. The whole time I was thinking, aren't you supposed to make potential costumers happy? One lady tried to give us a huge lecture on how we shouldn't have given Baya her shots at 5 1/2 weeks, even after we told her she came with them. I know I haven't been to a vets OFFICE in a while but I was expecting to meet pleasant animal lovers not cold faced insert your bad word heres lol. So after meeting them I decided that the Angles place was the right place for everyone, not just because it better fit my budget. Is it typical for them to be so rude? I know I don't like our moms vet in Pa because whenever the bring Ben our st bernard in they are always scared of him and when he had porcupine quills in his jowls they made my mom and her fiance pull them out and charged them the same amount! I don't want a vet place like this!

It must be something about PA and vets ... The vet my animals used to go to was aweful. You know their bad when the vets run down the other vets that work there in the middle of looking at your animal . I didnt think they were rude to me, but not into the animals as they should be, and their customer service was pathetic. I brought Zowie right down after she got hit by a car (I called on my way down to let them know), and when I got there they blew me off. There was 3 people at the desk and they were too busy b.s.ing to help us.

I ended up switched to a vet that Im 100% happy with. Ive yet to see him yet because he was so backed up at his new place, but Ive seen him when he was working at other clinics. He is everything I look for in a vet. Good vets around here are hard to find, but if you keep looking they are there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast