Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Difference between large breed food and reg. adult?

Difference between large breed food and reg. adult?

I have the dogs on Chicken soup for the dog lovers soul. The first time I bought it, I bought the adult large breed formula. I went yesterday and grabbed another bag, and on accident I got the regular adult food. Is there really a differece? Do large breeds need certain things in the large breed formulas, or do they do just as well on regular adult food?

I don't and won't give any dog a food that has large breed in the name. Most of them have a bit of hip and joint stuff in it but not enough to make a difference and they may put extra calcium but that isn't great for a dog and can get them in some health trouble.

I would stick with plain old chicken soup.
    Serenity begins when you stop expecting and start accepting

Thats what I will do then. Thank you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by saluki-sue View Post
    I don't and won't give any dog a food that has large breed in the name. Most of them have a bit of hip and joint stuff in it but not enough to make a difference and they may put extra calcium but that isn't great for a dog and can get them in some health trouble.

I would stick with plain old chicken soup.
    I am glad you mentioned that, I just bought a bag of Innova Large Breed Adult. I was giving her adult Innova but they just jacked the price, the large breed was less expensive.
    Life is short, play with your dog!

I compared the two bags, and it is pretty much the same thing. The only thing that bothered me was that in the large breed formula, meat was listed in the first five ingredients, while the adult formula had the same meat but only the first two were meats and the rest was a little further down.

Im not too worried about it anymore because their food is getting switched again as soon as I start running low on the Chicken soup. The price is great (this time I got it on sale for $30 for a $35 lb bag) but Zowie did so much better on the Blue Buffalo wilderness. She will go back to that, and I have no idea what Meisha will go on. She may stay on the Chicken soup. Big decisions ...

Banned
    I feed adult all the way around, no feeding large breed formula in this house.....and feeding one bag of the large breed won't cause serious damage.

Lol I didnt think it would hurt them. Poor Zowie has been fed a lot worse before I came to this site . I have honestly always bought large breed food (Zowie is big for her breed and gender - you would know, you know huskies), and grabbing regular adult was a mistake. I was just curious about the difference, if there even was any. After reading the ingredients though it was kind of made clear. Same ingredients, just more or less of some stuff.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelique View Post
    Lol I didnt think it would hurt them. Poor Zowie has been fed a lot worse before I came to this site . I have honestly always bought large breed food (Zowie is big for her breed and gender - you would know, you know huskies), and grabbing regular adult was a mistake. I was just curious about the difference, if there even was any. After reading the ingredients though it was kind of made clear. Same ingredients, just more or less of some stuff.
    I misunderstood!

This is just my opinion and a little help ....Huskies are considered medium size, and in my case I never fed large breed kibble, always adult.
    Just to help out, during the growing years I used Canidae /ALS......

Thanks for the help and input. They will be on adult food rather than large breed from now on. Dog food is driving me crazy. Once I get the time, and knowledge on it, they will be going raw!

Gone crazy! Senior Dog Member+ OnyxsMom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelique View Post
    Thanks for the help and input. They will be on adult food rather than large breed from now on. Dog food is driving me crazy. Once I get the time, and knowledge on it, they will be going raw!
    I was just going to say, ever considered going raw?

My gal's are doing awsome on it. I wont go back now, ever! And I'll recommend it to everyone. As far as time and knowledge goes, its really quite easy, and doesnt take up nearly as much time as you would think. No more at my house then feeding kibble did....

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast