Thread: Raising a Puppy While Working Full-Time

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

I found a 7- or 8-week old Chihuahua puppy in the street in front of my house in mid-November. I took her in, attempted to find the owner, took her to the vet for her shots, etc. I worked within a mile of my house so it made things very easy. I lost my job just before Thanksgiving and will be starting a new job Monday. This new job will require a one-hour commute each way ... my puppy will be at home alone with my 4-year old dog for 10 hours each day. I'm concerned that my new job will not allow me to continue puppy/house training her. My mother-in-law suggested that I find her a new home because a puppy need a stay-at-home caretaker.

Any suggestions on puppy training this now 11- or 12-week old puppy while being away from home 10-hours a day, M-F? I'm not sure I want to crate her during my new working schedule. Certainly there are other full-time workers out there who have welcomed a pet into their home.
    Stacey

Why do you not want to crate her? That's really the only option that you have. Unless you have someone willing to stay at your house for ten hours a day.

I believe in crating 100% (for her own safety, potting training, etc.); however, I thought that 10 hours would be a long time to be kept in the crate. I also realize that, at 11 or 12 weeks old, she isn't capable "holding it" for that length of time.

Well, you really don't have another option. Whether you crate her or let her run around the house, she's not going to be able to be let out. Unless you hire someone to come in in the middle of the day to let her out.

Senior Dog Member

My husband and I both worked full time when we got our first pup. We had to crate him while we were gone. We are lucky though - we both work only 5 minutes from home - so we went home and let him out on our lunch breaks.

Try seeing if a friend our family member would be willing to stop by during the day to check on her and let her out (you might want to offer them money for doing it - especially if there may be messes to clean up)

Grenola, Ks (65 miles southeast of Wichita, Ks)

Thumbs up crate

I recommend crate training. I've got a four month old Boxer pup that we crate. We do get to come home at lunch most of the time to give him a break, but they learn the routine and make adjustments. Maybe not right away, but they figure things out.

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Wow... talk about thread from the dead.

LCB - This thread is a year old, the poster is long gone... Your advice is just as I'd tell, but I wouldn't reply to the old ones... I'm sure the problem has been dealt with.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thread closed by Dax