Thread: What age do you breed Shih-Tzu's

What age do you breed Shih-Tzu's

I am a breeder of larger dogs (lab's.) My Annie is my first little dog. Can someone please tell me at what age you breed shih-tzu's and what health clearances they need? Hips certified, eyes cert?

Thanks for the help.

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    All purebreeds have thier own unique problems that should be checked for. I'm not familiar with all the Shitzu's but your vet should be. I would not breed any female before 18 months of age after 2 would be my preference. Temperment for a small dog is often overlooked. Most of the Shitzu crosses I have seen eat thier own poop. It would be something I would not want breed into the next generation.

Me neither. We waited for our lab to be 2 and get all her health clearances. The shih tzu I bought is out of champions, so I will find a Champion stud when she is ready. I just did not know if perhaps smaller dogs mature faster.

Thanks for the reply!!

My girl has been tested for eyes, hips, knees, liver, kidney and had a full blood work up. (Thyroid is one I was told to check for specifically) Also, the bite should be evaluated. I have 2 Shih-tzu crosses, neither eat poop! I think any dog, regardless of breed, has the potential to eat waste. There are several good sites that address this issue, we have addressed it here before. Such things as quality of food and boredom can contribute to this behavior.
    As for age, I've read smaller dogs do mature faster however I went with the 2yr marker.

I'm also a large breed breeder and wouldn't recommend breeding before the age of 2. They do mature faster (most times are completely mature by 9 months of age) but the OFA requires that dogs be 2 before they will certify them.

As for the poop eating issues...that's not a genetic issue. There are many dogs that eat their stool for many reasons, like Kendra said and then some.
    Patty Lemke
    www.countrysidebreeders.com
    Breeder of German Shorthaired Pointers

*Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot about puppies.*

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Country-Side Br
    As for the poop eating issues...that's not a genetic issue. There are many dogs that eat their stool for many reasons, like Kendra said and then some.
    Aggression is also a behaviorial issue and may not be genetic in nature. I believe that any dog that is exhibiting undesirable traits whether behaviorial or physical should not be considered a good breeding candidate. It is a personal opinion.

In the smaller breeds like that they should be checked for luxating Patella. I do know that. I am hoping to be able to get my girl checked with Penn hip along with all the OFA clearances including elbows. Penn Hip can be done at a really young age. I can't remember at this moment howmany months old they have to be. I think it is only 4 months. I am planning on waiting till she is two though, so that I can have the OFA done at the same time. I am big on an all around great dog. If it is not a healthy dog with a good temperament and good structure, in my opinion, should not be bred. There are too many dogs out there being put down everyday. Go to the shelter and you will see. Also consider if you can find GOOD homes for the pups before you breed.
    Jeanyes kennels Home of, JC's Hicountry Fortune Found CGC, CDX (Brittany), Jeanyes Little Orphan Annie (chi mix rescue) and Vader(Dutch Shepherd Rescue)