Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to adult food?

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

When to adult food?

Two questions regarding food:
    1) Anything wrong with changing the "puppy" over to adult food at 6 mos. and recently spayed? If not, when?

2) When making the switch, must it be gradual if the puppy food and adult food are both the same (Wellness)?

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yes, keep it to a gradual switch. What's the breed?

Usually it isn't reccomended to switch until a year. Variable per dog size. You may want to ask the vet about it.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

Labified Senior Dog Member+ GretaJack's Avatar
    Definitely gradual.

And like Moo said, it is going to depend on the breed when to switch them to adult. Personally, I never fed puppy food. But those puppy stages seem so long ago...
    See Jacob grow http://katiejmcnamara.blogspot.com

Missed Greatly, Forever Remembered. In memory of my lost ones; Moby (9/13/03), Carbon (09/13/03), Tanner (10/16/05), Aries (07/31/07) and Millie (09/25/07).

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member
    Bearded Collie - My vet is of the opinion that less problems develop in later life when the switch to adult food is made at an earlier age than 1 year. (For some reason 1 year is a magical number.) I don't think I'll switch quite yet, but will probably do it in the next couple of months, but will do it gradually as per normal. Thanks for the input.

Got Sheltie? Senior Dog Member+ weezyNollie's Avatar
    I had a lecture from a Hills represenative and she suggested 2-4 mos after spay/neuter. Otherwise at the age of full grown.. 1 yr is small breeds, up to 2 yrs in giant breeds. I'm finishing Ollie's puppy food up, then switching to adult when it's all gone. He's 7 mos now.. so it'll be around 8 mos for him, which is 2 mos after neuter as well!
    The Herding Herd.
    Brooke, Weezy, Ollie, and Ralphie

www.coloradoanimalrescue.org

Full Member Full Dog Member
    If you are switching your pup to a good quality food (which you are - Wellness is a great product). Then you can do it at any time. It's just a marketing scheme feeding puppy foods, once a pup is weaned from its mother they would naturally start eating the same foods the adult is eating.

Also, it is advisable (I do this myself) to switch brands of dog food every few months. I switch back and forth from Wellness, Solid Gold, Natura (Innova, California Naturals, Healthwise, Karma, EVO), Eagle Pack. I also feed a raw meal in the evening for a light meal. The reason it's a good idea to switch (gradually of course) is due to the fact that it's very unhealthy to feed the same thing day in and day out. You should try to get as much variety with the protein sources as possible, this will help prevent food intolerances, and other dietary problems from arising.

Switch over to a new food gradually; keep on a new kibble for about 4-6 months...I usually only stay on a new food for about 3 months. My dogs are so used to variety they don't have any upsets over change.

Many people I know have been putting pups on to a good quality adult food as soon as they are weaned. The Shepherds did wonderful and have no orthopidic problems.

Got Sheltie? Senior Dog Member+ weezyNollie's Avatar
    DogWatcher- I thought you didn't believe in commercial diets?

Also, that is not true about puppy food. They contain certain amounts of calories and calcium to help the puppy get the right amount of nutrients to help grow. You wouldn't feed an infant or baby adult food would you? That's why they make baby foods, and even toddler foods. I don't necessarily agree with changing foods that often either.. I know it has some success, but I find that even the slightest change upsets my dog's stomach.
    The Herding Herd.
    Brooke, Weezy, Ollie, and Ralphie

www.coloradoanimalrescue.org

Full Member Full Dog Member
    I agree with weezy as I have said before when we got Daisy I wanted to feed her the same brand my daughter has been feeding her dog for 13 years now. Her dog Madison looks and acts like a puppy - people are in disbelief when they ask if she is a puppy. Her coat is like silk (she is a lab/spaniel). So Daisy is now 11 months and her coat is gorgeous. There has never been a stranger not comment when they pet her on her beautiful soft silky coat. Of course she acts like a puppy because she is one but she is so healthy and everything is great as far as the vet is concerned. So I am sticking to a good thing!

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by weezyNollie
    Also, that is not true about puppy food. They contain certain amounts of calories and calcium to help the puppy get the right amount of nutrients to help grow. You wouldn't feed an infant or baby adult food would you? That's why they make baby foods, and even toddler foods. I don't necessarily agree with changing foods that often either.. I know it has some success, but I find that even the slightest change upsets my dog's stomach.
    I agree with Weezy. And with Kirby, there are few foods that I can feed him, that are healthy, non allergenic and won't send him bouncing the walls. He's already an active and hyper dog, and we don't need the high energy that many although high-quality foods will fill him with. I do give various additives, meats, veggies, but his base meal is always the same.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

Labified Senior Dog Member+ GretaJack's Avatar
    Here is what I have been told by my old vet as well as some high quality food reps when I worked at a grooming shop in MA that sold the high end dog food. Most large breed puppies can do just fine on an adult brand food. Do not waste your money on Large Breed puppy food since it is basically the same as adult food. It has less of the proteins and the fats for controlled growth, being size and weight, which is what you want in a large breed puppy. I never fed puppy food. And seeing the result of all my the dogs I have raised since puppies, I don't really see a need to if I am sticking with the same kind of breed of dog.

I also disagree with changing my dogs' food frequently. And I feel that Labs' stomaches are pretty strong and can tolerate a lot, I don't think that they could tolerate that kind of change so frequently. Yet they don't mind eating sticks and tennis balls ???

But what I recommend and is what you have done anyways. Consult your vet but don't forget your breeder. They should be a wealth of knowledge being that they have at least one adult dog of that breed.
    See Jacob grow http://katiejmcnamara.blogspot.com

Missed Greatly, Forever Remembered. In memory of my lost ones; Moby (9/13/03), Carbon (09/13/03), Tanner (10/16/05), Aries (07/31/07) and Millie (09/25/07).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast