Thread: My dog seems depressed or is he sick?

Full Member Full Dog Member

Unhappy My dog seems depressed or is he sick?

Okay, here's the scoop...

I have a Yellow Labrador who is 19 months old. He has been the baby for that many months.. I have a Sheltie who is 4 years old this July.. He rules the roost so to speak... Well, Monday afternoon I came home from Atlanta with another Yellow Labrador puppy. DJ (my other lab) seems to like her, she is more fun to play with than Tucker (sheltie). Tonight DJ seems to be off key, he is not wagging his butt (tail) as he usually does. When I call him, he looks at me with little or no intrest.

Do you think, there is somethign wrong with his tail? Do you think he might be sick? Or perhaps he may be mad cause of the puppy and a little depressed?

I'm worried!
    "A dog is just a kid with fur"

http://www.dogster.com/?165462

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Dogs go thru phases like that. Just continue with your normal routine and see if it clears up within 24-48 hours. He'll likely be back to normal tonight.

If this continues past 48 hours I would take dog to the vet as it could be the start of a illness.

Full Member Full Dog Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaxAriel's Toy
    Dogs go thru phases like that. Just continue with your normal routine and see if it clears up within 24-48 hours. He'll likely be back to normal tonight.

If this continues past 48 hours I would take dog to the vet as it could be the start of a illness.
    I hope that he is going though a phase. I would hate to have to bring him to the vet. He gets so scared when he goes there. I swear to god he acts like they beat him there. And all they do is love him.
    "A dog is just a kid with fur"

http://www.dogster.com/?165462

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mine love the vets. They can't wait to go and pull me thru the door. It's easier to get them used to it if you're not actually doing anything. Drop in for a visit now and then just to browse, shot the s*** and then leave going to a park or something. Make it a special outing he will enjoy.

try spending some special time with DJ, we get excited about having a new kid in the house but now it means the four legged kids have to figure out where the new one fits in.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by saluki-sue
    try spending some special time with DJ, we get excited about having a new kid in the house but now it means the four legged kids have to figure out where the new one fits in.
    I agree. When I first brought got Angel home I made sure I paid more attention to Roo. This way he didn't feel left out because you have a new puppy in the house. It also seemed to help cement a bond between the two of them. Also there wasn't that tension of who is the boss in the house. Which turns out to be Ang now cause Roo is a pushover for girls.lol

my own little world with my friens and my dog
    yea, i would think it is just jealousy, some dogs get like that with a new family member, be it a puppy or a baby. my dog was my first baby, so he never showed aggressiveness towards anyone.

he may simply be played out! he has a puppy to run the paws off of him now?