Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog escapes from crate

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Dog escapes from crate

I have had my foster dog for a week and she escapes from her crate. The first crate was a wire one and we tried ty wraps on all the corners. She still managed to get out, stripped the ty wraps and bent the wire. Yesterday I went to the pet store and bought a plastic crate. We left her in it for 2 hours while we were away. When we came home she was out. She had broken off one of the metal wires on the door but I can't figure out how she got out. To open and close the door you have to push down and pull up the lock at the same time. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have no problem with her not going in the crate but I want to train her to be okay with it so she is adoptable to as many people as possible.

She can seriously injure herself crated if she is that determined to escape. Is there a reason she must be crated? and Can she be kenneled instead. Is she high anxiety at being left alone?

Yes, she does have anxiety about being left alone. we put her in the crate for half an hour while we were home just to get her used to it. She whined a little but then settled down. I think she just gets so upset when we leave the house. I was amazed she didn't hurt herself escaping from this crate. She did not do any damage to anything in the house after she got out. She had been in a temporary foster home and spent almost all the time crated and never tried to escape.

RIP Julianna my Love Senior Dog Member+ FairyDogMother's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Crates are not all created equal. The cheaper ones are very dog escape friendly if the dog is so inclined.
    My only advise, if it HAS to be crated (not potty trained or destructive) is to invest in a better quality crate. If the dog doesn't NEED to be crated, don't.
    If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.
    ~Collar of Hope~

can you suggest a high quality crate? The one she escaped from was purchased at Petsmart for $100. Looked like the one of the best ones they had.
    And she does not need to be crated, I don't normally crate my dogs but just worried she may be destructive around the house because of her separation anxiety.

Blog Entries
    You are right to be worried about that issue. SA dogs are normally the most destructive ones!

I will have to look up the heavy duty ones and get back to you.

I can say that a $100 crate at a chain pet store is equal to about a $40 crate many other places

I shop alot on line. For standard crates for an average normal non escaping dog, I'll buy them from Walmart or alike places at a fraction of the cost. Others I get from Craigs List ads or at our shelter. They give them to us an sell to the general public for dirt cheap! Then we can pick through them for the good stuff!
    If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.
    ~Collar of Hope~

I miss you Denali Senior Dog Member+ Dignity's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Loki was escaping his crate - see thread:
    http://www.prodoggroomingsupplies.co...ighlight=crate

His one pic of what he did to his crate:

My dad ended up building him a new crate. My dad guestimated the materal cost to be between 100 - 120$ for the wood and conduit for a Loki-sized crate. This is the new one:
    Beauty without Vanity; Strength without Insolence; Courage without Ferocity; and all the virtues of Man without his Vices. -- Lord Byron "Epitaph to a Dog"
    ♥ Bone Cancer Awareness ♥ RIP Denali ♥

^Corgwn Madness^ Senior Dog Member+
    Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    My dad ended up building him a new crate. My dad guestimated the materal cost to be between 100 - 120$ for the wood and conduit for a Loki-sized crate. This is the new one:
    May I comez vistis your zoo, so I can petz da abominable snow dogz?

Anyway, short of that, I have a "Clipper 7" and love it. It has a different type of pinch open door, it has a lock so when you turn it closed the door can not me opened. I'll see if I can find the picture, but they do cost about as much as you paid here. I had a coupon so my 29" (I think?) was $118 after tax.

ADD: This one is mine-

This picture shows the door lock better:

Thanks for the tips. I cannot believe that photo of the wire crate!
    Has anyone used a ProSelect Empire crate?
    http://www.petedge.com/product/ProSe...ages/45512.uts
    If so, was it used for a dog that had previously escaped other crates?
    I may have to get my hubby to build one.
    The rescue I am fostering this dog for are going to have a therapist work with me for the separation anxiety so I will get some advice from her about whether or not to crate this dog. I have to leave her alone to go to dinner tonight, I don't want to put her back in the crate she escaped from last night so I guess I will just have to see if she does any damage around the house!

Blog Entries
    I would not recommend leaving her free reign of the whole house!
    Confine her at least to a room, garage or somewhere that if damage is done, it'll be minimal!

I've had dogs try to get through doors also... as in destroyed the panel off an indoor door on the side to the room they were in. No fun replacing doors
    Also, make sure no furniture is in that room! It's really expensive to replace and to toss if badly destroyed!!! (yes, I've lived through all of this thus far with rescued fosters!!!)
    ~Collar of Hope~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast