Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best puppy food for a Great Pyrenees

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Best puppy food for a Great Pyrenees

I just got my pup Lola this past Tuesday,she is 6 weeks old. The breeder recommended good life puppy food to begin with because the kibbles are smaller, and the first 5 ingredients are ok, not much corn, but, I am looking for a good food brand to stay with after. I found a website that gives stars to all the brands of food analyzing all the components and what not, but, I am really having a hard time trying to find all those brands, and I also have another 2 year old Great Pyrenees whom I guess I did not know his food was not the best, he is quite fat. The selection at the local stores and feed stores is quite small, and I really want to stay away of store brands. Ideas?? are vets trust worthy or just getting their big bucks selling certain food? Thanks!

I miss you Denali Senior Dog Member+ Dignity's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My Great Pyrenees are on California Natural - Loki has a sensitive stomach while Denali suffers from allergies. California Natural does offer a puppy formula.

6wks is young for a pup to go home with you.
    Beauty without Vanity; Strength without Insolence; Courage without Ferocity; and all the virtues of Man without his Vices. -- Lord Byron "Epitaph to a Dog"
    ♥ Bone Cancer Awareness ♥ RIP Denali ♥

Wish I could help. My Pyr is on raw.
    Love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.

Kabil Gibran

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by psvcuen View Post
    The selection at the local stores and feed stores is quite small, and I really want to stay away of store brands.
    We could reccomend brands, but they may not be readily available to you if the selection is limited.

Can you let us know what stores and what brands you have within reach, and then we can make a reccomendation from those?

And would you be against ordering & shipping dog food to you?
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

at Walmart and HEB the regulars purina, pop chow, pedigree, good life (the one in the green and white bag) healthy balance(HEB brand), beneful... I was buying country life at the feed store. I have not tried tractor supply though, do they have anything different there?
    I checked to order that california brand but the shipping is as much as the food!!!

I miss you Denali Senior Dog Member+ Dignity's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Many times tractor supply stores have better foods. Tractor supply might have Taste of the Wild or something else. If you have a Costco - Kirkland brand isn't a bad choice.
    Beauty without Vanity; Strength without Insolence; Courage without Ferocity; and all the virtues of Man without his Vices. -- Lord Byron "Epitaph to a Dog"
    ♥ Bone Cancer Awareness ♥ RIP Denali ♥

^Corgwn Madness^ Senior Dog Member+
    YES! Go to the TSC store, they have the following which are better: Taste of the wild (should NOT be fed to puppies under 10-12 months), Blue buffalo, Diamond naturals (only the "with rice" verities) and, 4 health.

Thanks, I'll head that way tomorrow. One last question, what brand that Tractor supply carries do you recommend the most for a young puppy? I will be getting that first one you said for my bigger one

B
    How exciting a 6 week old puppy! Hmmm!!! Small enough to hold her before she grows so fast that you can't anymore.I wish you and your 6 week old pup a wonderful life together. Hope you find the best food possible for her.

RIP Julianna my Love Senior Dog Member+ FairyDogMother's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Just read the ingredient labels!!!!

No corn
    No wheat
    Protein under 22%

If you can find anything that fits the 3 things above, you'll probably be doing just fine for your dog and your new puppy. IMHO giants never need puppy food ever.

So, just get a good quality adult for them both. If your adult doesn't like it at first, stick with it anyways. A dog will not starve themselves. You have to be more stubborn than your Pyr (I know that's saying something LOL) It will eat when hungry!

Good luck.

Oh and you'll never find a "good or proper" food at walmart or any grocery stores. Feed stores or some pet stores only.
    If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.
    ~Collar of Hope~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast