Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How would you train a dog to not hump?

Senior Dog Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JTP View Post

For some reason, two of my neutered male dogs are extremely sexy to intact dogs, of both sexes, so I get a bit more experience with this than I care for.

I wonder how true it is that "A dog reflects its owner" a know that thought scares me
    OMG...

Worriaholic Senior Dog Member+ BabyElephant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks everybody I'll pass this advice on to him.

JTP, I'm wondering if I should meet up with him and take Poppy so he can do this in a "controlled" situation. Last year I let Poppy "deal with it" so to speak and when I intervened I didn't do anything to his dog (acutally couldn't as I was holding a 4 week old Sofia!). Perhaps we should meet up so he can correct his dog instead of Poppy (or me). That way he can do it with a known stable dog rather than with another uncontrollable dog... I'm just thinking about ways I can help him out so excuse me while I mumble away to myself!

He seemed more concerned today about having to pay out for any puppies that might result because of his behaviour...
    Quote Originally Posted by micki View Post
    Lipsticks are lost everyday but love is forever

Humping is one of those behaviors that makes me so mad. Most people think it's funny, until the dog is doing it to them.

I use the phrase "NO HUMPING" and my dogs know exactly what I mean. Because if I have to say it to them I'm on them in a hot second with a body block or a scruff grab or if I'm to far away I've been know to take a shoe off and throw it across the room at the dog. Unwanted humping is one of the fastest fight starters I know of.
    Serenity begins when you stop expecting and start accepting

Banned Senior Dog Member+
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyElephant View Post
    Thanks everybody I'll pass this advice on to him.

JTP, I'm wondering if I should meet up with him and take Poppy so he can do this in a "controlled" situation. Last year I let Poppy "deal with it" so to speak and when I intervened I didn't do anything to his dog (acutally couldn't as I was holding a 4 week old Sofia!). Perhaps we should meet up so he can correct his dog instead of Poppy (or me). That way he can do it with a known stable dog rather than with another uncontrollable dog... I'm just thinking about ways I can help him out so excuse me while I mumble away to myself!
    Yes, Set the dog up to make the choice, and deal with it. The harsher the correction, the less correcting will be needed. It is a matter of overwhelming the joy the dog gets from this.
    It will take, most likely, more than a couple sessions, and corrections, as this is likely deeply embedded, due to allowing it, which is the same as reinforcing that it is ok.
    PS, the owner should do it, or else he simply will not hump you, or your dogs, which is a win for you.

Senior Dog Member+
    I grew up in a house with at one time 4 intact males, (rhodie, lab, fox terrier and GSD mix) nobody humped. Have lived with multiple dogs my entire life, and never have allowed humping. Yes, very bad manners and a great way to start a fight. However, its an easy behavior to correct. Even easier if you never allow it from the start.

Teach "off" and enforce it with body blocks, leash, physically removing the dog, scruf grab if needed.

If someone nearly cut my dog in half with a stick, I would call the cops and have that person charged with animal cruelty.
    "Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened."
    ~Anatole France

How people treat you is their Karma, how you react is yours.

RIP Julianna my Love Senior Dog Member+ FairyDogMother's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't put up with humping, biting, soiling in my house or destroying my stuff. Anything else is pretty fair game.
    When any of the above are violated, the dog gets my rath. It usually only takes once for them to "get it". No, I don't beat them senseless (though yes, I've wanted to on occasion over fights), I'm the only bitch around here that gets to fight!
    I do pop them with something appropriate for their size, offense and temperament/personality.

JTP! I think you're trying to kill me with laughter over here hahahahahah
    That was awesome!
    If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.
    ~Collar of Hope~

If my dogs have ever tried to hump me, the situation was so angering I've completely forgotten about it. Humping people= totally unacceptable, BIG TROUBLE. Corrections that are not given in public, kind of corrections. Mind you, my dogs have a good amount of fear and respect for me, so non-public corrections are mostly that because of the words that come out of my mouth (I cuss a lot), not necessarily the pain factor.

Humping strange dogs also totally unallowed. Collar/scruff grab and a good shake to knock some sense into them, I may even slap the haunches to get their attention. If the leash is on, a darn good pop to the side away from the dog. All of this is followed by an "asham-ed time out".

Asham-ed time outs are basically where I verbally abuse you, tell you how awful you are, what a bad dog, and I get that typical submissive, mommy I'm so sorry look....
    Roxys' life motto: Me!
    Hades' life motto: Ball!

Humping is a social activity, natural for the dog but unacceptable for us humans. But I have noticed its more of a release for anxiety. Best to teach the dog how to better cope with anxiety. If the other dog does not correct the offender, then a time-out is all I need to change the behavior. Take away what a dog wants most, that is to be with other dogs and people. A dog that looks to you as its leader, will get the message right away.

Quote Originally Posted by ouesi View Post
    If someone nearly cut my dog in half with a stick, I would call the cops and have that person charged with animal cruelty.
    If your dog was antagonizing me and my dog, I'd do it. Usually makes owners think twice about having a bad-mannered dog off-leash. I'd rather beat a stranger dog than have mine maimed/killed in a dog fight BECAUSE of the other dogs behavior. Period.

I agree with just about everyone here. Humping can lead to a dog fight, though I've had no problems with this amongst my own dogs. The fluffybutts play-hump each other, but the other just lays down, waits for the other to finish, and gets on with playing. It mostly a dominance thing (unless breeding behavior), and showing such dominance over stranger dogs is dangerous. There is absolutely no way to know what sort of dog you and yours is going to run into.

Shock collar...eh. If you want my honest opinion on that, it'd take years. I'm not a fan, bluntly put. I'd just keep the dog on leash, and correct immediately, swiftly, and clearly. My dogs respond well to the phrase, "YOU HAVE LOST YOUR GOD FORSAKEN MIND." But obviously, this might be a little more serious and the dog needs a little more work than that.

For some reason, two of my neutered male dogs are extremely sexy to intact dogs, of both sexes, so I get a bit more experience with this than I care for.

I wonder how true it is that "A dog reflects its owner" a know that thought scares me
    JTP, great posts. This bit in particular had me rolling.

Senior Dog Member+
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
    If your dog was antagonizing me and my dog, I'd do it. Usually makes owners think twice about having a bad-mannered dog off-leash. I'd rather beat a stranger dog than have mine maimed/killed in a dog fight BECAUSE of the other dogs behavior. Period.
    There are a million ways to deal with a dog antagonizing yours that don't include beating the dog. An air horn comes to mind. Handier to carry than a stick anyway.

Besides, it is not for me to "train" someone else's dog or owner without their permission or consent. I don't concern myself with other dogs because I train my own dogs to deal appropriately with whatever life throws at them.
    "Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened."
    ~Anatole France

How people treat you is their Karma, how you react is yours.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast