Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a fight over a bone...

Full Member Full Dog Member Ellarae's Avatar

a fight over a bone...

Last weekend we were at a friendís house with Ella. They live on an acreage which has one other property on it and have their own dog; Louie, a 10 yr old collieX. Louie and Ella get on well despite the age difference. Ella was behaving impeccably, even though there are not many fences and plenty of sheep about (and a horse in the yard).
    Our friend asked if she could give both dogs bones, we agreed so they each got one to gnaw on the grass. Thatís when it went a bit wrong. Their neighbours dog (female labX Ė very skinny but thatís another story) comes wandering through the hedge, goes past Louie and his bone but makes a bee-line for Ella....who lets out a long growl. Other dog keeps coming towards her then Ella lunges at her still with the bone in her mouth. Neighbours dog jumps on her and gives her a gash on her face before my boyfriend managed to get there and break it up. Then we hear the neighbours dog being called home, and she goes. Next 5 minutes are spent attempting to stem the rather large flow of blood from what was actually a very small cut.
    Then we all start wondering who was in the wrong. Is Ella bad for lunging at the other dog, or should the neighbours dog have taken the hint after the growl? Do we need to further train her to not get aggressive over a bone and another dog? (shes fine with people going near her bone) Our friend said she should have given all 3 dogs bones, but she couldnít have known the other dog was going to come across in advance.
    Iíd like to know your thoughts...you all know alot more about this stuff than me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellarae View Post
    Then we all start wondering who was in the wrong.
    I personally don't see this as a "who is right, who is wrong." situation. It was as if you backed out of a parking spot, and someone was coming down the aisle too fast. Yes, one person is more at fault than the other, but it was a situation that just happened.

Your dog was being good, and the other dog charged in... I don't condone your dog being aggressive over the bone, but at the same time, it wasn't her fault that the neighbors dog came charging in.

I would say that knowing there was a dog next door that could potentially come over, (and your friend should have known this.) then I would not be giving the dogs bones where they were accessable to the other dog.

And I would NOT give my neighbors dog a bone, with the other two, as if you had a major fight, the neighbor will blame others that shouldn't have given his dog a bone.

I say let it go, and be more careful next time...
    I'm not bossy, I just have better ideas!

Bewunderer der Hunde Dog Moderator FourIsCompany's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellarae View Post
    Then we all start wondering who was in the wrong.
    You were. Sorry, but unless the dogs know each other pretty well, it's dangerous to give them bones in the company of other dogs. And even then, bone gnawing should be closely supervised. Your dog should have been leashed or else when the other dog approached, that should have been a warning sign to step in and prevent the situation from escalating.

Any time you give a dog a high-value item, there's the possibility of a fight. Even if just two dogs each had a bone, it still requires close supervision.

Hope your girl is OK.

^Corgwn Madness^ Senior Dog Member+
    I know your in a different area but, our rules might offer something to you. This dog wasn't part of your crowd, owned by a neighbor, left her property and just swung right over the property line to your(friends house) lawn. BIG no-no! If you lived in North America, you could probably sue for damages if your dog needed major vet care. Your dog, to herself, was giving a worning, and was in place (I assume yours stayed on property), I see your dog as doing nothing wrong. This dog on the other hand, goes into territory not hers, decides she is going to force take something not hers, and is the one to deal a bite, you have a bully next door.

Banned (temp) Senior Dog Member+
    Blog Entries
    I am sorry this happened, however a bite can be alot worse where you can see, so maybe should be seen by the vet.

As far as this situation, I agree to not give treats like a bone, in an area where other dogs could 'intrude'. Even if they 'knew' the dog, that is not the same as being an 'pack mate'.

Full Member Full Dog Member Ellarae's Avatar
    Thanks for the responses, Ella is ok, rather shaken at the time but as she was pretty close to us we could step in before any major damage was done. I wish we had been quicker though...these things just happen SO fast.

Obviously the situation wont happen again as they wont be getting bones when we go over there...and to be honest if i had seen the neighbours dog before hand i may have thought differently in the first place. Its a bag of bones.

I would discourage this behaviour in my dogs BUT with that being said, in this situation I wouldn't be angry with my dogs. I probably would've gotten between the wandering dog to show mine that I'll deal with it, there's no need for them to bother.
    Roxys' life motto: Me!
    Hades' life motto: Ball!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I would discourage this behaviour in my dogs BUT with that being said, in this situation I wouldn't be angry with my dogs. I probably would've gotten between the wandering dog to show mine that I'll deal with it, there's no need for them to bother.
    That's exactly the best way to handle the situation IMO
    There are no bad dogs, only bad owners

The worst enemy for a dog's rehabilitation is the human mind

Banned (temp) Senior Dog Member+
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Espencer85 View Post
    That's exactly the best way to handle the situation IMO
    I agree. However one thing should also be noted.
    It is never wise in my opinion to get inbetween your dogs and a 'stranger dog' with the posture of intention. ( 'made a b line for..'). Unless you really knew the 'stanger dog, and also if your dogs had already proven to you that if off your property, they knew you were the absolute control.

On your property, they already know the ' chain of command'. But while this happened so fast so you could not correct your dog to continue, then you would be left with you being in the middle of this for possible injury to yourself.

Good point BM. Good leadership is imparative when making moves like that because otherwise, your giving the neon green light to your dogs that this is a threat and it's time to move in and neutralize that threat.
    Roxys' life motto: Me!
    Hades' life motto: Ball!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast