Thread: New Here...

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

New Here...

Considering a second dog for sadie to play with, before she relandscapes my yard. She is a big girl, Shep/collie mix. Any suggestions?

Does she have any playmates now? Does she play with others at the dog park?

My Vizsla will play with any one big ,small ,tall ,short, cat....well anything.
    HASTA LA VIZSLA, BABY!!
    Dash Jan 28/05-Oct 08/10

No she doesn't have any brothers or sisters any more. We ended up having to put our male AB down after he attacked my daughter and several others.
    Once in a while she gets to play with a friend of ours dog and loves it, so we started looking for a playmate. Has to be male...
    If I could post Sadies' pic I would

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You're going to be the best judge in deciding what you get along with Sadie. You have to think about size, does Sadie get along with dogs both bigger and smaller than her? Is Sadie a submissive or dominant dog? Do you want a dog that will match her energy level?

It's all your decision, it's hard for us to make reccomendations. Do you intend to get a puppy or an adult?
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

Moo is so right. There are many things to consider. My friend with a 6 year old Border Collie male rescued a 8 month old?BLue Tick Hound/lab mix. Because the new dog was younger my friend treated her as second in line all the time thinking she was respecting the older dogs place in family. They had lots of problem trying to correct the younger pup while at the same time trying to teach the older dog to be more assertive. She talked to a behariorist who told my friend, basically, to allow the dogs to figure out their oun heirachy. The older dog had always been quite docile and willing to follow---no need to change him now. It has all worked out wonderfully.
    HASTA LA VIZSLA, BABY!!
    Dash Jan 28/05-Oct 08/10

Full Member Full Dog Member arfvol's Avatar
    always a good idea to adopt from a shelter which will alow you to introduce the dogs before taking home. Though their behavior will be somewhat different in Sadie's home environment, and the new dog in a new home, at least you'll get a feel for how comfortable the dogs are with new playmates. I think it's wonderful Sadie will have a new friend soon. Good luck.

Sadie will play with anything that moves. Her preference is male. Our friend's dog is on the small side and Sadie drags him all over the place. I have permission from the local humane society to bring Sadie for a 3 hour time period to play and associate with any dog we are considering. Was just wondering if anyone had any reccomendations on a playful breed. I don't particularly want a breed that will spend all his time laying under the trees sleeping. Will definitely go with a young adult. Just not sure what mix. Labs are along the lines of what I am looking at, but there aren't any at this particular shelter and this was the only one to approve of Sadie being able to spend a good amount of time before we bring the new dog home. Everyone else only granted enough time to fill out paperwork.