Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grooming Collies?

Grooming Collies?

We are moving and my parents are very picky on animals in their new house. Zeke has stayed inside his whole life, and he is 1 1/2 years old. I am not to familiar with grooming Rough Collies. Any of you groomers really groom Rough Collies? If so how does it look? Basically I want to keep his long mane and hair......... I just need his paws trimmed to decrease the amount of mud he could track thru on to the new carpet.

Fruit Platter mama! Senior Dog Member+ Savage Destiny's Avatar
    A groomer will trim him however you want, really. The most common thing we do with Rough Collies is just a bath and brush- brush out all the dead and loose hair/undercoat, remove any mats or tangles, get the dog clean and dry, then trim the hair between the toes. Of course nail trimming as well.

If you really want a groomer could trim the hair on his belly, britches, ruff, and feathers, but that's up to you. Groomers aren't mind readers, you need to tell us what you want!
    Do what is best for your animal, not what is best for yourself.

Collie Magical Senior Dog Member+ SalemWitchChild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Basically all I do is bathe (Once or twice a month), trim nails and the hair between the pads of her feet. Then use a rake to take out any loose undercoat. Of course demat anything. But if your brushing regularly there shouldn't be mats to deal with. Pretty simple really, just need to do it regularly.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings,
    we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

Blazes servent Senior Dog Member+ Tankstar's Avatar
    I have lots of rough collies who come in to me. I just bath, dry, brush, clean ears, trim nails as needed, trim feathers, bum, and feet

Beauceron Bliss Senior Dog Member+ rottiegirl's Avatar
    I have several Collie clients. Brush, Brush, Brush, Brush. Then bathe. Dry and Brush.
    Brush more. Complain about how tired you are of brushing. Take a break and do nails, trim feet, hocks and if owner requests any loose feathering. Take thinners to the ears and top of head to remove any whispies.

If It's one of my show clients take the whiskers off and use thinners to outline the whole head, making a cleaner, sharper outline.

I have one customer who wants likes her Collie taken down quite a bit, I use a 0 blade and skim, then scissor to neaten. I don't recommend that unless it's an extreme case.

I will not shave down a Collie.
    Nothing says "Oops!" like a wall of flame.

Glitches Be Crazy Senior Dog Moderator RoughCollies's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I brush them out, then bathe as it's much easier to bathe. Shampoo. Condition and while conditioner is sitting, brush some more. I use a Kong Zoom Groom on the lighter areas and on thick areas like the mane I use an undercoat rake. The more hair you get out during the bath, the easier it is later on.

Once they are rinsed, I use a blow dryer to blow out a good portion of the coat. Again, get out as much as possible now so you have less brushing later. I also brush while blow drying once we get past the soaking wet stage.

Once fully dry, I brush out one more time and trim up the feet and hocks. Usually shave down the belly area because it's the hardest to keep clean and un-matted in my house. In the summer, I take down the feathering on the legs, too. They go out and run in fields and everything gets stuck in that hair. I don't show my girls so honestly, their coats need to be healthy and easy to maintain first and foremost.

Dixie recently had some skin issues and had to be clipped down a bit. Not shaved, just clipped. I have a love/hate relationship with it. I love that it's easy to keep clean and with Dixie's messed up coat, it's great. But I hate the look. We'll see where we go from here.
    "I was here, I was there, I was glitching through the walls! I'm not giving that up!"
    Shannon Down Wreck it Ralph

Sugar Rush Whippets

Collie Magical Senior Dog Member+ SalemWitchChild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RoughCollies View Post
    I brush them out, then bathe as it's much easier to bathe. Shampoo. Condition and while conditioner is sitting, brush some more. I use a Kong Zoom Groom on the lighter areas and on thick areas like the mane I use an undercoat rake. The more hair you get out during the bath, the easier it is later on.

Once they are rinsed, I use a blow dryer to blow out a good portion of the coat. Again, get out as much as possible now so you have less brushing later. I also brush while blow drying once we get past the soaking wet stage.

Once fully dry, I brush out one more time and trim up the feet and hocks. Usually shave down the belly area because it's the hardest to keep clean and un-matted in my house. In the summer, I take down the feathering on the legs, too. They go out and run in fields and everything gets stuck in that hair. I don't show my girls so honestly, their coats need to be healthy and easy to maintain first and foremost.

Dixie recently had some skin issues and had to be clipped down a bit. Not shaved, just clipped. I have a love/hate relationship with it. I love that it's easy to keep clean and with Dixie's messed up coat, it's great. But I hate the look. We'll see where we go from here.
    I'm hating Kota's coat this winter too. She's had some kind of allergy. I guess the food but I dont have the $ right now to get better. Benydril isnt helping. I had to clip her tail and feathering on her bum because she had chewed and dug so much it matted really fast.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings,
    we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

Thanks for all the comments! I was just wondering if it was normal for Collies to get their hair actually cut or just bathed. For Zeke, I love his long hair, so I guess when I find a groomer and bring him in there, I will just have them bath, brush, and trim his around his feet. Hopefully if I do this once a month, it will keep the new carpets clean. Thank you.

Couch Potato City
    Blog Entries
    Also when bathing- brush the dog too as that removes alot of the loose hair. Brush in the shampoo, and if conditioner that too, and of course final rinse.
    Trimming between the toes and do the feet helps alot, but may I also suggest a regular bath mat. One that is fluffy so it trap most of any dirt that does come in. If soaking wet, Shamwows are worth their weight in Gold!

obviously i don't have a collie, but i do have a sheltie and they have similar coats. I brush Casey out, i do what they call "line brushing" to get the under coat. Then i give him a bath and i use oatmeal shampoo for dogs.

Dry him up with a blow dryer then brush him out.

I use rakes to get the under coat and a pin brush to just brush him all over after a bath. I pretty much do the similar stuff RC does .

If you don't feel like blow drying you can just put baby powder on your dog to help it dry and smell good too Wait for it to dry then give it a good brush

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast