Thread: My dog urinates laying down, what is wrong?

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

My dog urinates laying down, what is wrong?

Hi All! I'm a long-time horse forum addict, but have just never had a reason to post over here, yet! My name is Holly (CONTA over on HGS) and I am owned by three horses, a dog(Zippy) and a hamster.

Zip is a 6 or 7 year old lab. I have had her since she was a pup. She was spayed around 4 months old I believe. Before her first heat for sure. My ex(husband) and I split up in Oct of 2008 and she lived with him until Nov of 2010. She was an outside dog in Michigan and is now an inside dog in Missouri. She doesn't have accidents inside during the day. I leave for work around 9:15am and come home around 4:30. They are let out at 5am(when I get up to go potty! ) and then out again around 8. And come back in at 9(ish). They go out as soon as I get home (at least a 1/2 hr depending on how cold it is). Just letting you know our routine!

About two nights ago, she was lying at my SO's feet and he went to get up to go to the kitchen and he said 'Come on Zip, move-it' (or something to that effect, no mean tone at all, and she wasn't excited or scared) and when she got up there was a puddle of pee. I don't think she had ANY idea that she had just peed!! It was just like she way laying there and it leaked out. She had just gone out...45 min earlier(after their dinner) and done her business.

She is healthy, not overweight. No problems with her hips, etc. UTD on shots, etc.

I looked online and there was info about incontinence. Do I just call my vet and talk to her about it, or do I collect a sample(one page said they had to test a urine sample(??). Any ideas what causes this?

Thanks!

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If it's just a one time thing, it is more likely a UTI (Urinary Tract Infection) than incontinence. Yes, you will need to catch a pee sample.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

Frigid North, Also known as Alberta, Canada.
    hmmm, wouldnt hurt to take a urine sample in to the vet to make sure she doesnt have an infection,etc.

I believe it cannot be older than 6 hrs if you do take one.

I know with cats, they'll start peeing everywhere and what not if they have a UTI. UTI's are fairly common in dogs as well. I only experience it with a male dog, and he'd dribble.

Best to catch it know though, as it can get bad if it is a UTI.

If not, Im not sure! Did this just happen once? Maybe she peed in her sleep or something crazy?

Some dogs that are spayed *can* lose their ability to hold their pee, but its not that common and I would think it should have happened earlier on as well.
    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened."
    ~Dr. Seuss

It has only happened once. I've been watching pretty closely to see if it happens again. Are UTI's in dogs like they are in humans? I have a few(read..alot) before and they hurt like the devil!!

How do I collect urine? When she is loose, and I'm out there with her, she pays attention to me. I have to let her out and ignore her to get her to do her business. I guess she isn't comfortable piddling with an audience around? Maybe if I waited long enough? lol. I can just see me chasing her around with a cup and her running like a scared bunny! The neighbors are going to call Animal Control on me for molesting my doggie!

Bite Me. Senior Dog Member+ Maliraptor's Avatar
    LMAO I love the imagery in the above post. Been there, done that! Honestly, call your vet. Some would rather collect urine with a needle, sounds horrible but most dogs and cats do not notice. The collection then is clean of bacteria that might be clustered around the vulva. So ask if they would rather get the sample themselves, or have you try. If you DO have to try, get something big a flat- like a pie tin- gives you more space to try and catch the stream. Still impossible, but marginally easier.

Many dogs suffer from urinary incontinence, it can happen in lean, fat, big and small. There ARE meds that can help. I only had one, a whippet, that after 4 months on meds (Phenylpropanalomine) didn't need them anymore. More often than not, it is a life time medication situation though.

But first, rule out a UTI. Yes, they can be quite uncomfortable, just like humans.
    "Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too." --Voltaire

What about spay incontinence??

Quote Originally Posted by luvin my dogs View Post
    What about spay incontinence??
    Like mentioned earlier, it's highly unlikely and would probably have shown up earlier! Always a possibility though, I'm off to research
    Megan & Addie
    French Bulldog-- 11/20/09

Here's what I've found from just one site:
    http://www.dogaware.com/articles/wdjincontinence.html

A recent study showed that early spaying (before the first heat) reduced the chance of incontinence, from 18 percent to 9.7 percent in large breed dogs, but increased the severity when it occurred. It is possible that spaying midway between heat cycles may help prevent spay incontinence, but this is just speculation, as no studies have been done. Hormone-related incontinence can also affect neutered males, though much less commonly than females.
    Incontinence can occur for many other reasons, including urinary tract infections, bladder stones, congenital structural defects (e.g., ectopic ureters), spinal cord disease, and excess water intake. Older dogs, overweight dogs, and dogs with neurological problems may develop a weak bladder sphincter. These causes of incontinence can affect dogs of both genders, whether intact or neutered.
    When additional symptoms such as frequent urination, painful urination, trying to urinate without success, or blood in the urine are seen, then urinary tract infection (UTI) or stones (uroliths) are likely. Keep in mind that about 20% of UTIs will not show up on urinalysis alone, so it’s important to do a urine culture to rule out infection.
    Megan & Addie
    French Bulldog-- 11/20/09

I called her vet yesterday and she said to watch her closely the next few weeks and see if it does happen again, bring her in and she will take a urine sample(I'm assuming the way that Maliraptor has posted) and we will go from there.

Bite Me. Senior Dog Member+ Maliraptor's Avatar
    Whew, you are saved from chasing the poor girl around with a cup outside!
    "Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too." --Voltaire