Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vet vaccinations V'S Buying online and self administering

Full Member Full Dog Member

Vet vaccinations V'S Buying online and self administering

I called the vet today and got the prices for my 6 puppies to get there first set of shots. I am also Getting my older female fixed and the Mommy fixed and the two boys at 6 mo old fixed. the vet bill will be $1800. I have looked into buying the meds online and it will cost me 105 to get my mommy her shots the 6 puppies there 1st shots also i will have the meds for my 2 boys to get there 2nd and 3rd series shots. for $105 with shipping. The vet bill will be 650 for those all those shots. then they are going to charge me up to $400 per female and $175 per male to get fixed. Then thats also not including vet apt fees. I found a website called friends of animals online who help out with getting the dogs fixed. will be $150 per female and $64 per male. I am CNA and have given shots before and feel very comfy about that part. Was wondering if anyone else buys the shots on line and gives them to the dogs. I will save about $1000 to do this my self and use the friends of animals website. I do have the care credit that will more then cover these bills from the vet but with the interest % I was thinking that maybe this will be better? Thanks so much..

RIP Julianna my Love Senior Dog Member+ FairyDogMother's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not all vaccines are created equal. We know many rescues who get them online. We just get them from Del's feed stores. If they are not kept at a proper temperature, they are worthless. Del's is the only feed store in our area who does not have a history of dogs getting parvo after using their vaccinations.

As for your litter, the vet should have a "litter" price to check them all out and give them the first vaccine at 8 weeks. It should be NO WHERE near $1000! You should call around for different vets.
    You can also google low cost spay/neuter in your area. I've done it for many here when I know where they live at.

That's a lot of money and you do not have to spend near that much! No more than $10 MAX for a DHPP shot. That's $60ish for the puppies and a flat litter checkup fee at a vet.

We use several vets with one primary vet. They are not all created equal and some of the fee difference are astounding (dental: $400 at one $125 at another for the same dog!).
    If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.
    ~Collar of Hope~

the prices they game me were 25 per dog for distemper and 20 per dog for Bordatella Also 15 per dog for the visit. Also My 2 boys need to come back for 2nd and 3rd series. it will cost me $250 for the Distemper and $160 and $90 for the visits and also 15 per dog for worming another $90 thats $590 for the 6 puppies to get there shots and my 2 boys getting there other shots. It will cost my $105 for these same shots plus getting mommy her shots. when we adopted her she was already expecting and we were unable to get her shots done. This is the Website i was told by 4 different people who buy this to use this site..

I could shop around but my credit line is with my vet. ???

Friends of animals.org help you find a low cost spay/neuter clinic and also you can purchase a certificate for the dog to get fixed. $90 female dog and $64 male dog. Very Good prices.... Doing this for sure just asking about the online shots and if anyone as or does this? Thanks again..

Those prices seem very high! I have lived on a farm and have always given our own shots. We pay $7.00 MAX, per shot. They are easy to give & none of our dogs have gotten any type of disease. I would also get the spay/neuter voucher to get it on discount. It will be good to save money that way. Our area used to have them, but they stopped for some reason or another.

Blog Entries
    For worming, we always keep Nemex II on hand. The price here is great for it.
    You would not need a pint bottle like we do so you could just get 2 small 2 oz bottles:
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?&pcatid=522

This is the vaccine we buy:
    note: make a record sheet and note the date of all worming and vaccines given so the new puppies vets don't do it all again. The stickers on the bottles need to be peeled off and stuck to the sheet (they're designed to do just that easily) Otherwise, no proof it's been done.

Canine Spectra 5, single dose, 9N-32561
    $3.99
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=1267

I'm not sure why you're doing bordetella?
    WE use this when we do give it.
    Kennel Jec-2 (Single Dose), 9N-21994
    $2.99
    If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.
    ~Collar of Hope~

that was what the vet said what shots they will give. I just want to make sure they have what they need. that sight also sells med record booklets for each animal too keep record of shot and dates and a place for those stickers.. Thanks i will look into those shots. And is 6 weeks to early? i keep reading that people are giving the shots at 8 12 and 16 weeks? not starting at 6 weeks?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luv4tigger25 View Post
    that was what the vet said what shots they will give. I just want to make sure they have what they need. that sight also sells med record booklets for each animal too keep record of shot and dates and a place for those stickers.. Thanks i will look into those shots. And is 6 weeks to early? i keep reading that people are giving the shots at 8 12 and 16 weeks? not starting at 6 weeks?
    Normal vaccine protocol is 8, 12, 16 weeks. They have Mom's immunity at 6 weeks still.
    6 weeks is when they would be fully weaned and people used to send them on their way.
    No more! They need the extra socialization with the litter and Mom and the vaccine protocol fits right in too.

Put it this way. I pulled 18 dogs (9 were a 5 week old litter of 9 puppies) and they all got the bordetella yet they all came down with a cold anyways... it's roulette just like a flu shot but not even as effective. I'd save that dime if I were you. I also do not like to fill young puppies with anything except the vaccine age appropriate and wormer.

You should start the wormer right away and give it every 10-14 days like clockwork. It takes 3 doses to break the cycle and keep the round worms from infestation. 1st kills adults and larvae, 2nd kills hatched eggs that are larvae now and the 3rd is assurance no eggs hatch to lay anymore eggs. Since puppies are so poopy, just keep giving it every 2 weeks til they're off.
    ~Collar of Hope~

Thanks.. I will start at 8 weeks old and also I will be ordering from that web site. I think it is a rip off that this dr office is not cutting me a break. Getting 7 dog shots and 4 dogs fixed youd think they would give me some kinda break.. Thanks so much for the help i feel much more confident on what to get now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast