Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Not absorbing nutrients?

  1. #1
    Junior Member Junior Puppy Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    5

    Not absorbing nutrients?

    Hi- I have a dog who is very underweight despite my efforts-He does not seem to be absorbing nutrients, and is 20 lbs underweight. You can see ribs, hip bones, spine, etc. (He's 5 mo old.)

    Vets have sent out blood work and fecals and the results come back normal. He's been tested for numerous illnesses including Guardia.

    He often has loose stools and and goes very often, making the Vet think the food is going straight through his system. Very poor coat quality as well.

    Have tried a variety of high-quality foods with no help.

    Any suggestions as to what may be causing this, and where to go next?

  2. #2
    Blazes servent Senior Dog Member+ Tankstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ajax, onatrio
    Posts
    2,836
    what have you tried feeding? sounds like you may have tried alot in a short time (judging by age) which will result in loose stools. What breed is he? a 5 month old will be lanky and skinny, due to growing, My 5.5 month old is skinny looking, but i dont want weight put on growing bones quickly.

  3. #3
    Senior Dog Member+ saluki-sue's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    RI
    Posts
    10,387
    Look up EIP it's not always a problem vets go to first, but it's very real and can kill a dog if not adressed. We have a few members here who can explain it to you and help you find some Yahoo groups.
    Serenity begins when you stop expecting and start accepting

  4. #4
    Junior Member Junior Puppy Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Tankstar View Post
    what have you tried feeding? sounds like you may have tried alot in a short time (judging by age) which will result in loose stools. What breed is he? a 5 month old will be lanky and skinny, due to growing, My 5.5 month old is skinny looking, but i dont want weight put on growing bones quickly.
    He had the loose stool before I changed, thought changing would help- but didn't. He's been on Canidae for some time now, but was previously on Wellness to begin with- and tried eagle pack hollistics for a short time.

    He's a Doberman. He should weigh 50lbs. He has only gained one pound in over a month.
    He's not just skinny/lanky- very very bony. I would post a picture but can't seem to find the camera.

  5. #5
    Junior Member Junior Puppy Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by saluki-sue View Post
    Look up EIP it's not always a problem vets go to first, but it's very real and can kill a dog if not adressed. We have a few members here who can explain it to you and help you find some Yahoo groups.
    Thanks. On this site that I just found, http://www.epi4dogs.com/, he looks comprable in weight to the third dog pictured- the schnauzer in the before picture.

    So, a regular blood test wouldn't detect this?

  6. #6
    Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    in the Doghouse
    Posts
    21,320
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by PeachPie View Post
    He had the loose stool before I changed, thought changing would help- but didn't. He's been on Canidae for some time now, but was previously on Wellness to begin with- and tried eagle pack hollistics for a short time.

    He's a Doberman. He should weigh 50lbs. He has only gained one pound in over a month.
    He's not just skinny/lanky- very very bony. I would post a picture but can't seem to find the camera.
    Are you feeding once or more a day? Several smaller meals throughout the day might prove less taxing on his digestive system. I would also add treat balls made with bone marrow.

    Switching him to a raw diet with a higher fat content might also help.

  7. #7
    Junior Member Junior Puppy Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Dax View Post
    Are you feeding once or more a day? Several smaller meals throughout the day might prove less taxing on his digestive system. I would also add treat balls made with bone marrow.

    Switching him to a raw diet with a higher fat content might also help.
    He get's 3-4 small meals. I'll look into raw. At this point, not sure anything food related will help the poor guy though?

    Thanks!

  8. #8
    Senior Dog Member+ saluki-sue's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    RI
    Posts
    10,387
    I believe there is a special test that has to be run for EIP. But other members know way more then I do about it, because they live with dogs who have EIP.
    Serenity begins when you stop expecting and start accepting

  9. #9
    Junior Member Junior Puppy Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by saluki-sue View Post
    I believe there is a special test that has to be run for EIP. But other members know way more then I do about it, because they live with dogs who have EIP.
    Okay, thanks. Hopefully one of them will stumble across my thread and let me know for sure. The symptoms do seem very similar to his situation.

  10. #10
    Senior Dog Member+ saluki-sue's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    RI
    Posts
    10,387
    I know these members are active on an EIP Yahoo group. You maybe could search for that and get some answers fast.

    Good luck with your sweet puppy.
    Serenity begins when you stop expecting and start accepting

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •