Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Siberian Husky doesn't get along with small dogs---problem at dog park. Ideas?

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Siberian Husky doesn't get along with small dogs---problem at dog park. Ideas?

Hi, I live with a Siberian Husky female of age 3 and also a 3 yr old golden retriever male. They get along well. The husky doesn't get along with my cats and I keep them separated at all times. She has nipped at them in the past, but never full agressive bite attempt. I took her to a dog off leash park for the first time today, and she got along with all of the other 10-15 dogs there except for this one dog, the only small dog there. This dog was the size of a cat. She was Ok at first and spent a few minutes sniffing and stuff but then eventually nipped at him. I separated them but my husky kept running back towards this small dog everytime, so I just took her to the other fenced part until that dog left.

This is totally inconvenient and appropriate for now but I'd like to let the husky run around off leash at this park even around small dogs.

How can I train her to get along with or ignore these small dogs? I don't know of any small dogs I can train her with but I can use the cats to simulate a small dog. It's a sensitive situation because one wrong nip can turn into a bite which can kill these small dogs. So I have to be very careful about this .

Bobby

RIP Julianna my Love Senior Dog Member+ FairyDogMother's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Dogs and cats are 2 different species so I doubt you'll have any success training the dog to leave small dogs alone from training with a cat.

Huskies are notoriously high prey driven and usually do not do well with small animals. Most I've dealt with were fine with all other dogs though regardless of their size.

If you don't have the training into this dog that it will listen to you under ALL circumstances, I would advise not bringing her to an off leash park unless it's separated by sizes.
    There are many with a smaller dog area and a larger dog area.

Knowing what you know about her, it would be very irresponsible to bring her and risk the safety of any small dogs that go there as they have every right to be there safely.
    Last edited by FairyDogMother; 03-17-2011 at 04:15 PM.
    If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.
    ~Collar of Hope~

Double Dew Dare Ya! Senior Dog Member+ BluEyedHusky's Avatar
    I agree with FDM. My huskies do well with our cat and our female is ok with our chinchillas but most huskies don't do well with small animals.. dogs, cats, rodents, etc. It will be very hard to train out that instinct. You can only train her to listen to you and hopefully to call her off.

I wouldn't take her in a section with small dogs. There should be 2 sections.. one for large (usually over 35 lbs) and small (under 35 lbs). If your dog park doesn't have it then I would find another one to go to or not go at all because it's not safe to take your dog there if she can't control herself or you're unable to control her, that could end badly.
    Proud mother of 2 Siberian Huskies and a Beauceron that thinks she's a Husky.
    Sheza Blue Eyed Diva CTL1-H (Roxy)
    Glowing Ember de Nanrox (Ember)
    CB Blake (Blake)

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member
    Fairydogmother, it would not be irresponsible to take her to this park, as she has a right to freedom just like any other dog. In fact, your concern for another dog actually blinds you to the need of this husky. In an attempt to be moral and ethical, you've actually become what you feared all along, which is immoral and unethical.

You say that huskies are stereotyped into a not so well behavior with small animals, yet your experience completely contradicts this.

I guess you guys are considering worst case scenario, which I was doing too, that's why I came to this forum to try and get some advice on how to train the dog. This is the Dog training forum, not the give up and try again after 15 years when you get a new dog forum. Sorry to sound snotty but did you guys even read my post or are you just posting on autopilot with anything that comes to mind after reading what I had written? I'm asking for suggestions on how to train the husky to get along with small dogs so I can take her to the off leash dog park, NOT how to give up, how to quit trying, or suggestions on not taking her to the park at all(I mean really, although I see your concern for any small dogs there, but there are 2 sections this lady just chose not to take her dog there, but no other dog seemed to bother this small dog). In addition, most small dogs can get quite aggressive and chirpy, and I believe that this husky will back off if a dog gets mouthy and barky. If you guys misinterpreted, this husky was around this dog for 2 minutes almost before she nipped, so this isn't one of this unsavable cases. It's easy to type on a forum that you should not take your dog out off leash, and it's easy to tell somebody else not to allow their dog the freedom that they deserve. So I understand why you've written what you've written, but you need to step into the shoes of someone who isn't going to live with a neglected animal, and yes walking on a leash your entire life is neglect to an animal, I'm sorry, but it is.

RIP Julianna my Love Senior Dog Member+ FairyDogMother's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    First off, do not call me names. You are the one with a problem, not me! I'm neither immoral or unethical.

You were advised to reliably train your dog to heed your commands no matter what.

My post did NOT contradict anything. They are known to have high prey drive, period. All I've known and owned were good with people and canines but would kill anything else given the opportunity. If your dog is going after small dogs, it is a lawsuit waiting to happen if you continue to go there with this dog off leash until you have 100% absolute control of the dog with any distractions.

Reliable obedience is the only thing I know of that will work for you. Hire a trainer to help you help your dog.
    If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.
    ~Collar of Hope~

Double Dew Dare Ya! Senior Dog Member+ BluEyedHusky's Avatar
    Well alot of people on this forum don't take their dogs to dog parks because of this exact situation. If someone can't control their dog, our dogs end up getting hurt.

it's not just a simple 'train your dog to accept small dogs'. Your dog needs to learn to be able to listen to you in any circumstance so you can call her off if need be.

No one here just can't simply tell you the magic word for your dog to listen or to magically accept small dogs. It usually takes alot of proper socialization when younger or proper training but as said before, huskies are prey driven and you can never guarentee she will be fine around small dogs.

I recommend going to a trainer or attending training classes.
    Proud mother of 2 Siberian Huskies and a Beauceron that thinks she's a Husky.
    Sheza Blue Eyed Diva CTL1-H (Roxy)
    Glowing Ember de Nanrox (Ember)
    CB Blake (Blake)

Heartcore Senior Dog Member+ AtomicSkies's Avatar
    it is owners like you that make me want to avoid dog parks at all costs...someone who doesnt have control over their animal and doesnt care enough to keep the other animals safe...i dont care if its just one dog the husky had an issue with...my parents have a husky and i love her dearly but i would NEVER EVER take her to a dog park unless we were alone because she cant be trusted and i will not put any other animals at risk...and on the flip side i wont take my greyhound to one because i worry about an out of control dog...such as yours...hurting her...both dogs are more then happy with their lives...the husky gets to be on a long lead in my parents back yard and my grey gets nice leashed walks everyday

prey drive on small animals is in huskies blood...some are better then others sure but it may not be something you can do anything about
    "Life beats us down and crushes the soul...Art reminds us we have one"-unknown...see you later space cowboy...
    I love my mutts but ill never make more...spay and neuter your pets...marriage=♥+♥
    "I want all of you head to toe...heart to soul"-Kurt Halsey

Senior Dog Member+
    bharminder, prey drive is not something you can get rid of in a dog. You can channel it, you can desensitize the dog and raise their threshold, but if you have a prey driven dog, you will always have a prey driven dog.

What you *can* do is teach impeccable obedience and practice scrupulous management so that when your dog does zero in on a small dog, you can call her back to you. In the meantime you need to be RESPONSIBLE about what you know about your dog and not put her in a position where she will make a mistake that could end with another dog dead. I don't see how that's such a hard concept to get. Is your dog's off leash freedom worth another dog's life?

If I were you, I would invest in a long line, a basket muzzle, and most importantly, a knowledgeable trainer.
    Last edited by ouesi; 03-18-2011 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Sorry, "she", not "he".
    "Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened."
    ~Anatole France

How people treat you is their Karma, how you react is yours.

People like you are a major reason why I don't go to dog parks anymore - because they bring their unreliable, unsafe dogs and let loose with out a care in the world or thought for the other people/dogs.

The other reason I don't go is because *my* dog has developed mild male-male aggression as he aged (not uncommon in his breed), and I'm not going to put any other dog along with mine at risk just because 95% of the time he's a lovable angel with all the other dogs. A dog doesn't deserve any more freedom than he's earned - this is not being "mean" or "neglectful", it's called being sane and safe. It's your responsibility as an owner to help your dog earn these little freedoms, and it your responsibility to limit them to what you can control.

I'm going to ask you an honest question, so please think about this. I own an American Pit Bull Terrier who can be aggressive toward other dogs - not all dogs, mind you, she can be selective. However, high prey drive and/or dog-aggression (two separate entities) isn't uncommon in my breed, and typically these aren't something that can be trained out. Would you be comfortable with me bringing my dog to an off-leash park while you had your dog there?

Quote Originally Posted by bharminder View Post
    Fairydogmother, it would not be irresponsible to take her to this park, as she has a right to freedom just like any other dog. In fact, your concern for another dog actually blinds you to the need of this husky. In an attempt to be moral and ethical, you've actually become what you feared all along, which is immoral and unethical.

You say that huskies are stereotyped into a not so well behavior with small animals, yet your experience completely contradicts this.

I guess you guys are considering worst case scenario, which I was doing too, that's why I came to this forum to try and get some advice on how to train the dog. This is the Dog training forum, not the give up and try again after 15 years when you get a new dog forum. Sorry to sound snotty but did you guys even read my post or are you just posting on autopilot with anything that comes to mind after reading what I had written? I'm asking for suggestions on how to train the husky to get along with small dogs so I can take her to the off leash dog park, NOT how to give up, how to quit trying, or suggestions on not taking her to the park at all(I mean really, although I see your concern for any small dogs there, but there are 2 sections this lady just chose not to take her dog there, but no other dog seemed to bother this small dog). In addition, most small dogs can get quite aggressive and chirpy, and I believe that this husky will back off if a dog gets mouthy and barky. If you guys misinterpreted, this husky was around this dog for 2 minutes almost before she nipped, so this isn't one of this unsavable cases. It's easy to type on a forum that you should not take your dog out off leash, and it's easy to tell somebody else not to allow their dog the freedom that they deserve. So I understand why you've written what you've written, but you need to step into the shoes of someone who isn't going to live with a neglected animal, and yes walking on a leash your entire life is neglect to an animal, I'm sorry, but it is.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast