Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potty training a very young puppy?

Senior Dog Member CowGirlUp1833's Avatar

Question Potty training a very young puppy?

Hi all,
    I recently brought a new puppy into our home. "Axel" is a 9 week old Beagle/Blue heeler mix.

He's been doing (I think) super well on potty training and has been having very few accidents. I've learned in the past that being diligent is the key to potty training success, so I bring him out every 20 minutes during waking hours (while out of his crate) and make sure he gets out every couple hours when he does have to be in the crate (thankfully, both my husband and I can stop in at home a lot during the day if need be).

He's been here 4 full days and is averaging about 1 accident per day. He seems to understand that when we go outside, it's for 'business' and promptly squats and relieves himself.

I'm probably being over concerned, but how big of a set back is it when he does have an accident? Every time it's happened it was within that 20-30 minute span between potty breaks, so he has JUST gone and has to go again. I make sure he's constantly in my sight, but he can piddle in the time it takes me to turn around and see where he's heading.

I know there will be accidents and it's up to me to set him up for success, but how worried should I be about an occassional accident? I know "hardcore" crate training says they pretty much stay in all the time except to go potty, but I just don't have the heart to keep him in there all the time and he does great overall.

Feedback?

Thanks!
    ~Kimberly~
    3's Company
    Bella~Sassy~Axel

^Corgwn Madness^ Senior Dog Member+
    Can you keep him leashed to you right after walks about the time frame of when the accident occurs? That is about the only way to keep a steady eye on his behavior and know that "Oh! I have to go NOW". If he is REALLY smart, you could also try the bells by the door trick, there will still be a few accidents along the way because he may still be learning about his own signals yet that his bladder is suddenly full.

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It's really about getting to know your dog. All dogs have warning signs, and it's only a matter of time before you get to know them. If you're proactive about it, you'll be able to prevent most accidents. And yes, the fewer accidents that the dog is let to have, the less likely that he'll ever think it is appropriate any time during his life.

You may want to consider umbilical training for this period of time. If he's attached by long-lead all the time, he can only get into so much trouble. (This also sets you up for an adult dog who likes to stay nearby, and knows to wait calmly at your feet, as well as te obvious- good leash habits.)

Also, stand now at establishing what "asking" to go out is. Young puppies may understand early that peeing outside gets them praise, but to really by housebroken, they have to link that back to GETTING outside. So, for example, have him sit at the door before every time you open it.

I find young puppies so much easier to work with for potty training than older dogs (like 5 months and up).

Good luck.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

When he's out of the crate, I'm sitting down on the floor with him, with my full attention on him. The doors to all the other rooms are closed and we have an open Kitchen/Dining/Living room, so I can see all of these area's if I sit on the floor in the living room. I make sure his attention is either on me or playing with one of my other dogs and take him out if he starts to loose focus (usually a sign he has to go!)

It seems like the accidents he has had have snuck up on him, like he didn't even realize he had to go...which could be the case given his age, right?

I'll just continue to be diligent in watching and taking him out frequently. I've successfully house trained my other dogs, but I'm always worried I'll end up with one that just won't get it! The ONLY time I've really had a problem was when someone gifted me a pet store dog () who was already about 6 months old. THAT took FOREVER! I won't go into what I think about getting a dog from the pet store, I'll just say that I think the way they are kept sets them up to be harder to train....

At what age to they seem to start having some actual bladder control? Does it really vary by individual or breed??

Thanks!
    ~Kimberly~
    3's Company
    Bella~Sassy~Axel

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    In my opinion, and I know some others might knock my down for this, the dog definitely has bladder control at this age. Dogs have some bladder control around 5-6 weeks, when their instinct kicks in to not pee in bed.

They just don't have their priorities straight. But that can be taught.

I think it was about 3 weeks with baby Kirby (who was just short of 8 weeks when he arrived), before I felt I could trust him in the house without supervision. He was started early by his breeder though. He came already completely crate-acclimated, and sleeping through the night.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

Day 6

Okay, I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

I've now read THREE books and they all say that a puppy of Axel's age should go out every 1-3 hours. I've been taking him out every 20-30 minutes when he's out of the crate and I'm still averaging one accident every day.

I know thats not too bad and I don't expect him to be perfect, but I'm trying SO hard to set him up for success! I don't want to fail him by doing something wrong...

I KNOW his bladder will hold it for longer then that because he sleeps through the night and on days I have to work, he's in the crate for 2-4 hours dry!

If I wait the recommended 1-3 hours in between potty breaks, I'd be having accidents left and right!

What am I missing?
    ~Kimberly~
    3's Company
    Bella~Sassy~Axel

Quote Originally Posted by CowGirlUp1833 View Post
    Okay, I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

I've now read THREE books and they all say that a puppy of Axel's age should go out every 1-3 hours. I've been taking him out every 20-30 minutes when he's out of the crate and I'm still averaging one accident every day.

I know thats not too bad and I don't expect him to be perfect, but I'm trying SO hard to set him up for success! I don't want to fail him by doing something wrong...

I KNOW his bladder will hold it for longer then that because he sleeps through the night and on days I have to work, he's in the crate for 2-4 hours dry!

If I wait the recommended 1-3 hours in between potty breaks, I'd be having accidents left and right!

What am I missing?
    What is happening when he has an accident? Does he just stop in the middle of play and go?

Quote Originally Posted by notanumber View Post
    What is happening when he has an accident? Does he just stop in the middle of play and go?
    Yes, no warning! No little sniffs, circling or anything. And he does this very subtle little squat, you almost can't even tell he's doing anything! It's very quick, not even time to intterupt and get him outside.

I don't want to go to a hard-core crate training program where he never comes out except to potty if I don't have to.... they are only young once and I want to have time to spend with him, bond, etc.
    ~Kimberly~
    3's Company
    Bella~Sassy~Axel

Nothing wrong with your little guy, he's just a young infant puppy. I have a 10 week old lab mix bitch puppy who has been with me for 4 weeks and while she will go potty outdoors everytime I put her out and tell her to make an "outside", if she's left to her own in the house,she will squat and pee in the middle of playing even if the door to the dog yard is open. Why, because her brain isn't old enough to tell her to take her business outdoors yet. That is why I take her out every 15 mins when she's playing, and or we play outdoors. Then she comes in and has 5 or 10 mins play time in the house, goes potty outdoors and goes in her crate.

Your pup will get it, but time is your best friend right now because it takes a lot of it to house break a puppy.
    Serenity begins when you stop expecting and start accepting

Quote Originally Posted by saluki-sue View Post
    Nothing wrong with your little guy, he's just a young infant puppy.
    Thanks. I don't know why I'm so anxious about this particular pup, I successfully trained my 2 older dogs to be reliable in the house....

I guess reading all these books about the mistakes people make while training is getting to me!
    ~Kimberly~
    3's Company
    Bella~Sassy~Axel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast