Thread: Goopy Ears....Sick Of Them!!

Goopy Ears....Sick Of Them!!

Hamish has been having "goopy" ears on and off for a while now and I'm getting tired of constantly having to clean and medicate them not to mention that he's tired of having soar, itchy ears.

He eats one cup of TOTW Pacific Stream with Icelandic Pure Salmon Oil, InFlight Coat Formula, and a probiotic prescribed by my holistic vet twice a day.

He has eaten the same thing for almost two years now and has only had the ear problem for the past few months. He does have a sensitivity to chicken, proven by blood work, which is why I am feeding him a fish based grain free food.

His ears basically smell a little like dirty gym socks and are filled with black/dark brown wax. They are also sensitive to touch and the canals are a bit read but are not swollen.

Hamish is 6 years old and neutered. He is also on thyroid medication because he is TgAA positive. He gets .5mg thyroxine twice a day.

Do any of the food gurus here have any suggestions for clearing up Hamish's ear issues? Change of diet, etc.? Hamish & I would both appreciate any help offered.

Thanks in advance!
    Heather Glen English Setters...Home to CH U-CH Upland Monarch of the Glen BN RA JH CGC, MBISS BGCH U-CH Cobblestone Summer Sunshine JH CGC, GCH Minaret And Heather Glen's Glitter In The Air JH, CH BeanChien's Firefly Of Siruusal, & AJ's It's Ben Awhile

^Corgwn Madness^ Senior Dog Member+
    SAME HERE!!! I chalked it up though to all the "free samples" I've been using as training treats though with Enda. Jinjo I was a bit surprising because his ears seemed to be itchy to him over the last month or two, but only one of his had anything in it and it wasn't much. But that would make sense if it were the food samples as he hasn't been getting much of them. But Enda's ears are back to that dark nasty potting soil looking stuff! She was like that on the Merrick so I stopped that food and changed. She had been fine on the TotW prairie one, but she refused to eat the last Lamb one I bought and after some going through stuff I finally just put her on Raw. Since I've been using the kibbles as training treats this has happened. She is now eating though the TotW, about 1/2 cup at bed time. Sorry, I can't offer help, but now you have made me more curious! I mean I could easily say it was one of the samples as not all of them are the greatest of quality, but I've also been feeding TotW during this time (the Lamb formula)?

Banned (temp) Senior Dog Member+
    Blog Entries
    I am wondering a few things. One is that with some dogs salmon does make a residue, and two the icelantic salmon oil does too. I have seen this before especially in Cavaliers, and the remedy was change the foods formula. I also saw this in Nina as well as when she was a puppy, we needed a kibble but the Wellness did not work with her, so we tried this same food. She had Chronic dirty ears!! It didn't take me long to spot it too! For me the biggest tip off, as having seen this before, you might also be able to smell a 'fishy smell' in the ears. Thats a Big Give away!
    I would be looking for a less oily but also grain free formula of taste of the wild.
    If you wish to also add an oil, even just ( regular) fish oil would do it, and also leaves less of a follicale oily substance.

^Corgwn Madness^ Senior Dog Member+
    Quote Originally Posted by BorzoiMom View Post
    I am wondering a few things. One is that with some dogs salmon does make a residue, and two the icelantic salmon oil does too. I have seen this before especially in Cavaliers, and the remedy was change the foods formula. I also saw this in Nina as well as when she was a puppy, we needed a kibble but the Wellness did not work with her, so we tried this same food. She had Chronic dirty ears!! It didn't take me long to spot it too! For me the biggest tip off, as having seen this before, you might also be able to smell a 'fishy smell' in the ears. Thats a Big Give away!
    I would be looking for a less oily but also grain free formula of taste of the wild.
    If you wish to also add an oil, even just ( regular) fish oil would do it, and also leaves less of a follicale oily substance.
    Wow, that could be it, most of the kibble samples we have been using are "fish based" or include a lot of fish (I've had to read each ingredient list to find ones without fish for me to be able to safely handle as treats at the shows without worry of contaminating myself). I'll have to smell her ears to see.

On the fish oil, Jinjo in the only one "supplemented", it is a filled cap (again, to not contaminate myself) and says "Norwegian salmon oil", he doesn't yet have filthy ear. I've also used an Alaskan salmon oil too, I only changed because I needed it and that was what was at Walmart. I'll have to keep an eye out for all this now.

Banned (temp) Senior Dog Member+
    Blog Entries
    For some reason I have never seen a problem as long as a capsule. Very odd! But Ninas ears- and Only Nina as the one eating it at the time, was a constant battle for a month! Even Otamox could not clear it up!

It stopped completely when we changed her food. It took about 10-14 days to totally be gone, but in one week we could see massive improvement.