Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bitch aborted fetus at 50 days....

Labified Senior Dog Member+ GretaJack's Avatar

Updated. Bitch aborted fetus at 50 days....

I want opinions, all of them. At the clinic, we have an Irish setter bitch that passed a dead fetus at 50 days. She was brought in immediately. Her progesterone was tested and it was .78, too low to support a pregnancy. They ultrasounded her, and saw signs of viable fetuses so the bitch was give progesterone injections to help her carry her pregnancy to term. We have seen this dog every other day since then. Today is day 62 and we are taking the pups today, at 9:00 a.m. I will not go into work for the C-section. Yesterday's X-ray showed 2-3 viable fetuses, and the ultrasound showed 2-4 possible viable fetusus. She currently is preggo with 8-9. So they are expecting that many dead, or partially developed pups. They said they would be happy with 2 viable pups.

I wish I knew this dog's registered name. She is a show dog, with many many accomplishments. She is beautiful, and a very sweet tempermented dog.

So do you think that human intervention should have been allowed at this point? Personally, I feel that something was wrong with this pregnancy to begin with and that is why the bitch was attempting to abort. I feel that we should have let nature takes it course. And as curious as I am to see viable pups, I don't think I want to see the non-viable ones. So I am going to the horse show instead of going into work.
    Last edited by GretaJack; 07-11-2005 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Updated
    See Jacob grow http://katiejmcnamara.blogspot.com

Missed Greatly, Forever Remembered. In memory of my lost ones; Moby (9/13/03), Carbon (09/13/03), Tanner (10/16/05), Aries (07/31/07) and Millie (09/25/07).

Mommy Status Senior Dog Member+
    That's a tough one! On the one hand I'd want to save any healthy pups but on the other hand I wouldn't want to risk them getting born only to suffer - through possible defects, deformities etc so I think that as hard as it would be I wouldn't allow for human intervention. I agree with you that it probably was nature trying to take its course and there most probably would have been something wrong with the pregnancy in the first place. But it would be an incredibly hard decision and if I was in that position then I may act totally different to what I think I would now! Anyway I'm sorry to hear that and I hope that the mother is okay and that there are viable, healthy pups that grow to be strong and happy! I wouldn't want to be there either though - I couldn't handle seeing dead or partially developed pups, it would be too hard to handle! Please let us know how it goes!!

I am more of a "let nature take it course" owner, and I agree with you that if there has been this many problems then the pregnancy was probably not meant to be.
    A Lab and two Border Collies - can it get any better than this......

I would have done anything and everything to save the pups.

You have a child....she has many many health problems. Would you let "nature take its course" and make the poor child suffer?? Or would you treat her with medication so that she can be happy and healthier than she was before?

Mommy Status Senior Dog Member+ Lessica Jake's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tessa_s212
    You have a child....she has many many health problems. Would you let "nature take its course" and make the poor child suffer?? Or would you treat her with medication so that she can be happy and healthier than she was before?
    That's entirely different. There is something wrong with the pregnancy, which likely means something wrong with the unborn pups. The bitch is aborting for a reason. In humans it's called miscarriage, and it happens all the time. The only difference is, when humans miscarry one, the pregnancy is almost always over at that point. Whereas in the dog, there are a bunch more in there, probably with the same problems.

I tend to think that the female body(of any species), only spontaneously terminates pregnancies for valid reasons. It's not often that healthy babies are miscarried/spontaneously aborted. I would be afraid that I would end up with the 2-4 "viable" babies who have such serious problems that they suffer and die before anything can be done to save them, because humans can't be bothered to let nature take it's course.

Quote Originally Posted by tessa_s212
    I would have done anything and everything to save the pups.

Yes I have a child - and her name happens to be Tessa. We are not talking about a child - we are talking about unborn puppies. If there is a problem with the pregnancy, then there is a good chance that there may be a problem wiht the puppies, and if there is a problem wht the puppies - who do you think is going to purchase puppies with issues. Not many people.

There is no way that you can compare a bitch that is having a problem pregnancy to a child that has health issues.

So please - try and answer the question and not have a go at me for my opinion - especially when you come back wtih a comparison that does not even come close.
    A Lab and two Border Collies - can it get any better than this......

Trace, please lets not turn this into an arguement! You have your opinoin. That is fine. Am I not allowed to have mine?

Lessica Jake- Okay, I understand. I never thought that the puppies could be born with health issues and things of the such untill after I posted. I just assumed that if they were getting help from the vet that they'd be alright. But that is not always the case.

Hmmmm good question.
    I'd need to know more.
    Were there any visible deformities with the pup she passed?
    Has she had any other litters? How did they result?
    Were her progesterone levels monitored prior to
    this?
    Was it an otherwise healthy pregnancy?

So far, I would say yes to human intervention. Low progesterone is pretty common and many bithes need a little extra to carry the pregnancy.
    But really I would need to know more )

Labified Senior Dog Member+ GretaJack's Avatar
    I did not see the pup that she passed. I did hear,of course, that it was not fully develped, but it shouldn't be at day 50.

This is her first litter.

She was naturally bred so her progesterone was not taken at our clinic during her estrus. Progesterone has been taken since she aborted, and it is extremely high but that has to do with the injections.

It was normal until day 50 that we are aware of other than her owner was concerned that she was not gaining weight. So that was a big signal, IMO.

I agree that low progesterone is common, but .78 is quite low. And obviously was having problems since she did pass a fetus. A bitch needs to have a progesterone of over 2.0 to hold the pregnancy. I know that we will give injections to a pregnant bitch that is close to 2.0 just as a safety measure.
    See Jacob grow http://katiejmcnamara.blogspot.com

Missed Greatly, Forever Remembered. In memory of my lost ones; Moby (9/13/03), Carbon (09/13/03), Tanner (10/16/05), Aries (07/31/07) and Millie (09/25/07).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast