Thread: getting my dog used to new puppy

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

getting my dog used to new puppy

Hi I have a 3 yr. old pug chihuahua mix who goes everywhere with me. He loves to play with other dogs. My brother's was dog was her favorite and she was stolen, so I thought it would be a good Idea to get him a playmate. She is a little long coat chihuahua. When we picked her up he was so excited to meet and play with her, but once we found out she was coming home to stay he became jealous.
    He is not aggressive at all. just shy's away from her. I keep her in a room that he does not visit often so he is not bombarded with her endless energy. She is only 9 weeks old and weighs less than 2lbs. I have been introducing then to each other a few times a day for short periods. I also have been spending as much time as I can with him. any advice how what to do to make this easier or how long it should take for them to be friends would be helpful.

RIP Julianna my Love Senior Dog Member+ FairyDogMother's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The new puppy should be in a wire crate in the same area as your first dog so they can safely get used to each other and the baby can get used to your household.
    Do NOT force a relationship.
    A puppy will have you jumping and require a TON of your time. But, going out, feeding and treats should always be given to your current dogs first. You should also keep doing with him what you always used to do.
    If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.
    ~Collar of Hope~

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member
    I took Wiley to the store and left the puppy home in my room. that gave Wiley a break and the both did fine. Wiley hasn't been wanting to eat his food as much and I'm hoping it's not because of the puppy. he seems to be afraid of her and runs into a corner when she wants to play. She is just a little hyper. It has only been 4 days so I'm hoping things will get better soon.

RIP Julianna my Love Senior Dog Member+ FairyDogMother's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    There is ALWAYS a honeymoon period of up to 2 weeks normally.
    Some adults flat out do NOT want anything to do with a young puppy (under 4 months old). You need patience and keep the puppy in a crate in the same room as your adult dog so they can get used to each other. AND do not let the puppy terrorize your adult.
    Like I said, do not force their relationship in any way and it will come in time.
    If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.
    ~Collar of Hope~

Welcome to the forum. We love to see pictures of dogs and puppies.