Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby teeth not falling out

Pom Mom Senior Dog Member+ Deb's Tiny Dogs's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Baby teeth not falling out

Cali has four baby teeth left. I think they're called the canines. They're the big pointy teeth upfront. The adult ones are coming in and the baby teeth aren't falling out. They're still in there tight. She was spayed 10 days ago and at that time the adult teeth weren't showing at all so they didn't want to remove the baby teeth.

Is this normal? Should the baby teeth have already fallen out? What should I do now?
    Forever my boys, Bogey and Miko. All my love till we meet again.

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    How old is she? I've heard of some that keep their teeth til they were almost a year. Your vet can pull them if they are a problem. I would ask him/her on the next visit or even a quick phone call.

Blog Entries
    She's 6 months old. I'm concerned because I'm afraid the adult teeth will come in all crooked because the baby teeth are still there. Or, will these new teeth push out the baby teeth?

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    With Ariel the adult teeth pushed out the baby teeth. It happened pretty fast. I don't remember what Dax's did. I have heard of dogs having both at the same time and the vet eventually pulling them.

I would say - don't worry for now.

Back for GOOD! Senior Dog Member+ goldensammy's Avatar
    I think 6 months could still be a little too early. I don't think Sammy had all of them out by then. With the adult teeth coming in, I wouldn't be too worried. If they come to far in, the baby teeth would come out as well. As long as it shows no pain to Cali, I wouldn't worry much.

If you were talking about a human, then you might want to do something. When I lost my teeth, one of my baby teeth was just like that, and it was so tight that it simply moved my adult tooth over and over. That made my bite uneven. So then I needed braces. I don't believe they have invented doggy braces! And I believe if something like getting an uneven bite happens, it would only be a little important if you were showing Cali. I know for example that Golden Retrievers cannot have an overbite or they're out!

Hope that helps!

Sharon
    & Sammy

". . . So take too many pictures, laugh too much, and love like you've never been hurt - because every sixty seconds you spend upset, is a minute of happiness you'll never get back."

Blog Entries
    [HTML] I don't believe they have invented doggy braces![/HTML]

When you brought up braces not yet invented for dogs, it jogged my memory. Check out this picture. It was from an article in Tufts University Your Dog. The article was about bad bites in dogs. Can you say ca-ching??? Next we'll be whitening their teeth.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    I wonder if they have to wear those little rubberbands that you get to fling around at everyone?? LOL

Back for GOOD! Senior Dog Member+ goldensammy's Avatar
    Oh gosh! Now I have officially seen everything! That poor dog! We have officially crossed the line between humans and dogs.

Sharon
    & Sammy

". . . So take too many pictures, laugh too much, and love like you've never been hurt - because every sixty seconds you spend upset, is a minute of happiness you'll never get back."

Got Sheltie? Senior Dog Member+ weezyNollie's Avatar
    They do have orthodontics for dogs. And it is a concern if puppies don't loose teeth at the proper time. Usually they perform a dental and remove the deciduous teeth (puppy/baby teeth). They should be all lost around 6 months (plus or minus a few days or a week). Has your dog lost any teeth?

If they need to remove the teeth, they will want to wait for some teeth to come in. It could be just an unusual case since the adult teeth haven't started coming in yet. I believe Moo had this done with Kirby for a couple teeth. And I think she said it was 11 mos. they did the procedure. You can also have dental radiographs done to see if the adult teeth are coming in at all, or if they are.. are they coming in properly.

Hope this info helps.
    The Herding Herd.
    Brooke, Weezy, Ollie, and Ralphie

www.coloradoanimalrescue.org

Blog Entries
    She has lost all her baby teeth but these four. The adult teeth are coming in right behind the baby teeth. Just 10 days ago when she was spayed, there were no teeth coming in these four spots so they didn't remove the baby teeth. Should I take her now and have them removed so they don't cause the adult teeth to come in crooked or just wait to see if the adult teeth push the baby teeth out?These are the canines. We're not going to show her but I know these teeth in particular are important for chewing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast