Thread: Too much torque

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Unhappy

I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback/beagle mix. Last vet visit he was 65 lbs but feels like more now. Felt like more before too. He is only 9 1/2 months old and probably still growing and he just drags whomever is on the other side of the leash. I've tried the gentle harnass (have to buy another one because he ate two already). I've been to obedience school with my toy poodle and know what to do but with the strength of this dog it is really hard for me. He has "sit" down. He also knows "down" and "off". Off he completely ignores because it means he has to get off the sofa.

He's so strong that we have to separate him and the poodle (toy - 12 lbs) so he doesn't crush her. He is the typical bouncy puppy but the effect it has is somewhat amplified from that of the poodle due to the size difference. He jumps on the sofa and the sofa moves. He jumps on us and we are in pain for days. I want to keep him off the furniture - first off he eats pillows, knaws on the cushions, etc . . .

We've tried the sour apple spray - I truthfully believe he likes it. Every attempt I make at trying to control him ends in disaster.

I would appreciate any helpful hints.

I truthfully do not believe that he likes the bitter apple spray. Have you ever tasted of that? It's horrible. I have two toy poodles (5 1/2 lbs), and we had a mix that was poodle mix and weighed about 15 lbs. We ended up having to get rid of the larger dog because she was too rough with the little ones. It was very sad and we loved her very much, but there was really no other option. You might want to take him to obedience classes. You have been with your toy, but this is a completely different dog and might need a different technique.

"I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback/beagle mix. Last vet visit he was 65 lbs but feels like more now. Felt like more before too. He is only 9 1/2 months old and probably still growing and he just drags whomever is on the other side of the leash. I've tried the gentle harnass (have to buy another one because he ate two already)."

First of all, Harnesses are used to TEACH dogs to pull. Second, it takes 2 to pull. The dog can't pull unless you are pulling as well.
    I suggest a gentle leader head halter until you can get to obedience class with him to address the leash pulling issue. If you are using a collar, use the thinnest collar with the smallest links you can find. Keep the collar HIGH on the neck, up under the chin and right up behind the ears. You have the best control and leverage with the collar in this position. Let it slip down the neck, and he's going to take you skiing. And in the mean time, do NOT let the dog get a tight lead so he can pull. Either do an about turn and head in the opposite direction when he starts to pull, or use a tug that is strong enough to make the leash loose again when he gets to the end of it. If you let him continue to pull, he will just pull harder and harder over time.

"I've been to obedience school with my toy poodle and know what to do but with the strength of this dog it is really hard for me. He has "sit" down. He also knows "down" and "off". Off he completely ignores because it means he has to get off the sofa."

He ignores you for two reasons: You have made it clear to him that he CAN, and he has no respect for you. Rank Reduction therapy may be in order.

"He's so strong that we have to separate him and the poodle (toy - 12 lbs) so he doesn't crush her. He is the typical bouncy puppy but the effect it has is somewhat amplified from that of the poodle due to the size difference. He jumps on the sofa and the sofa moves. He jumps on us and we are in pain for days. I want to keep him off the furniture - first off he eats pillows, knaws on the cushions, etc . . ."

CRATE this dog when you cannot supervise him. Fill a good sized spray bottle with water and about 1/4 cup lemon juice or white vinegar. Use this spray to stop him from chewing things. Teach him to SIT. Use your commands. The dog cannot jump up and sit at the same time. Crating and supervision will eliminate the inappropriate chewing.

"We've tried the sour apple spray - I truthfully believe he likes it. Every attempt I make at trying to control him ends in disaster."

Exactly. You are TRYING to control him. He clearly has zero respect for you. Stop TRYING and INSIST. Keep a collar on him in the house so you can control him. Use a crate and baby gates to limit his access to areas where his behavior is a problem. Make sure he is getting PLENTY OF EXERCISE. A tired puppy is almost always a GOOD puppy. Get in an obedience class. If he's not neutered, get that done as well.

Good luck!
    Clearview Rottweilers<br />NC, USA <a href="http://n2rotts.com" target="_blank">http://n2rotts.com</a><br />Raw fed for a naturally healthy life

Question

This is to n2rotts:
    how do harnesses teach to pull?

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Neither n2rotts nor Sandy is active any longer.

Closed by Moo.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪