Thread: Impacted Anal Glands (graphic pic)

More dogs than sense Senior Dog Member+ Diamond T's Avatar

Impacted Anal Glands (graphic pic)

My very good friend asked me to post this on one of my dog boards. I have her written permission to use the pics and her information. I am going to ask if the vet gave her any antibiotics or anything.

Here is what she emailed me:

I noticed this lump on Georgia a little over a month ago. SO brought her to the vet and he said it was an impacted anal gland. He squeezed, poked and prodded and was unable to express it and he said to come back in a month to see if it has changed. A month later (last week) SO brought her in and again he tried expressing it but nothing happened.

Vet said to leave it alone but did offer that he could operate but there would be a chance that Georgia would be incontinent because of the nerves in that area. He doesn't feel that it's a cancer tumor or anything like that.

I wish I went to the appointments, I was at work both times SO took her to the vets. It has not changed, it doesn't bother her, she's not licking at it, it's not hot, no temp. or discharge, etc.

What (if anything) can I or another vet do for her? Any suggestions guys? Pinky maybe you can post this on your dog board? You have my permission to use the photos.

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Wow, I am very surprised that the vet allowed the dog to go home with an impacted gland without treatment. And for a MONTH!? A questionable anal gland should not be viewed again a month later. Something like that could become abscessed/infected and/or rupture externally within days, let alone months. All of those things are very messy and uncomfortable. If the vet cannot express it (which generally isn't reccomended if the gland already looks like this), it is usually lanced through the skin, lanced through the duct, or antibiotics given.

Anal glands become impacted because they are not expressing on their own, either because there isn't pressure being applied to them, or because some sort of debris (sand, dirt, dried poop) is/was blocking the duct either externally or internally. Does this dog have regular, hard stools?

The first couple of times that Kirby had an impacted duct, my scalpel happy vet at the time told me that he needed to be surgically treated. We went through with it. Down the road, we decided to have an anal sacculectomy done (and I have a graphic pictorial somewhere on here of alllll the levels of anal sac disease), which is apparently an uncommon procedure, but the episodes were so uncomfortable for him, and it had to be done. When a new swelling came up, the new vet said that they couldn't be operated on in the condition that they were in, gave 5 days of antibiotics, and the swell went down and they expressed enough on their own that they were operable at the end of the round.

What is interesting to me, is that over the past month, the gland has not grown, or ruptured, and that the gland does not appear to be more bruised or swollen.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

I was totally shocked that the vet sent her home untreated and for a month.

Did you have any problems with Kirby and being incontinent after that?

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    No, and I was never informed or concerned that there would be for surgical treatment and lancings for impacted/infected anal glands or repairing ruptured ones. He was always pretty normal after recovery of those procedures.

For the removal of them, I was told would be risky regarding incontinence & recovery, especially since he had a history of gland issues, which "scatters" the nerves/muscles around the sphincter. I called a dozen vets in the city, and found only two her were willing to do the procedure. During recovery, he had compromised control, and rabbit poops rolled out of him for a few weeks especially when he got excited and/or barked. Within a probably two months he was normal though.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

She is going to get a second opinion. I am glad. She has never had the problem before with her though.

I am glad that Kirby recovered very well. It makes me feel so much better.