Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Breed Would be Good Around Horses

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

What Breed Would be Good Around Horses

I am curious about different people's opinions on what dog breeds do well around horses. I like a few different breeds and my honey is dead set on a lab so I figured I would ask other peoples opinions. Right now we have a black lab and a german shepherd cross. I like aussies, corgis, dachshunds, shepherds, staffordshire terriors, pretty much anything really My only thing is that I have watched a few of my friends dogs around their horses and have found that most herding and heeling dogs are problematic with livestock. That being said, anyone have any recommendations? We mainly trail ride so I am thinking that the corgis, dachshunds, and mini breeds wouldn't be good for long rides unless we want to put them in the saddle with us. A lot of people I talk to have recommended not getting any of the 'bully breeds' like pit bulls, boxers, etc. due to having horses. Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing your recommendations so that I can look into other dog breeds.

Banned (temp) Senior Dog Member+
    Blog Entries
    I know alot of people that have Borzoi that have horses. The Borzoi is a naturally quiet, gentle calm breed. Non intruding, and casual. With no desire to herd or chase the horses at all!
    The Borzoi have been used with horses since the Tsars had them.

I took a look at the AKC description and they are lovely dogs... my only concern would be this one line in the description "They need daily exercise, but will chase anything that moves, so they need to be kept on leash or in a fenced area." Of course, it's hard to lump so many individual personalities into one description.

Senior Dog Member+ groominglady's Avatar
    A trainer at my barn has a whippet - she is in puppy awful-stage, but really coming into being a great barn dog.

Her predecessor, Soba, was really quite wonderful: he would lie quietly in the sun while she rode, and then follow her to the barn to pick up the next horse. Then he would follow her back to the arena and find wait. Brulee is getting that routine. I can see her doing exactly that when she gets older.
    Nice bitch. Too bad about the testicles.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TangleroseRanch View Post
    I took a look at the AKC description and they are lovely dogs... my only concern would be this one line in the description "They need daily exercise, but will chase anything that moves, so they need to be kept on leash or in a fenced area." Of course, it's hard to lump so many individual personalities into one description.
    No- what they will chase is something small like a cat or small dog. But yes- they do need a fenced area. With horses, obviously this is already a given. ( obviously).

Glitches Be Crazy Senior Dog Moderator RoughCollies's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Same thing will go for a whippet. Will chase and kill small prey and shouldn't be let off leash in an unfenced area.

I do know a lot of people with Whippets and horses, though.
    Glitch - Shannon Down Wreck it Ralph
    Spencer Sprout Dixie

Sugar Rush Whippets

Most dogs can be good with horses given the proper acclimatization and training, but yes, the herding instinct is strong in some dogs and can make it difficult for you to keep them calm and safe around horses. Personally, I wouldn't go for a sighthound as a trail companion because of the long periods being off-leash in unfenced areas. What other aspects are you look at besides being good with horses?

Mainly it's just that I don't want them to run off, don't want them chasing/herding the horses (we have foals), have the stamina to keep up with the horses for longer trail rides, and good with other dogs/animals in general. Some of these things are training based (like the not running off) but a dog predisposed to have a high prey drive would be more likely to do it. We have had horses and dogs most of my life and all of my partners life, I am just looking for other suggestions than your typical Labrador. The German Shepherd I grew up with was a great dog and would stick by my side but he had a tendency to nip at my horse's flanks while I rode. I have another Shepherd mix now and she doesn't do that she just needs a little more training and socializing - pound puppy with a rough start. I watched my trainers dog just about get killed while she was lunging a horse and he trampled the dog because she was trying to herd him, she was a border collie/aussie mix.

Blog Entries
    How about a Dalmation? ( no wait- not long hair- but great with horses.)

You may live a lifestyle that fits a German Short Hair Pointer. It's not a breed everyone can or should live with, but if you want a breed that can keep up, loves to be around everyone and will mellow with age. They it may be a breed you might enjoy living with. Just make sure you find a very good breeder.
    Serenity begins when you stop expecting and start accepting

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast