Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pregnant or falsely pregnant English Mastiff?

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Pregnant or falsely pregnant English Mastiff?

Hello everyone,
    This is my first post and I am very cautious about posting since I read a lot of people just trying to lecture other people about their pregnant dogs. But before anyone wants to start on this post I want you all to know that my English Mastiff being pregnant is planned. She and my boy are both tested(well my boy is preliminary since he is three months short of his 2 year old requirement). My boy has champion lines and I have been looking for classes to start in conformation but have not had any luck in my city. I do have a breeding mentor but she is not always able to be reached and she bred for 33 years but does not anymore. I have had her in to the vet's and they told me they were unsure and instead of doing an ultrasound they recommended me to come back on day 52 for an xray instead(which she is scheduled for one next Friday, her day 52). And I am following every bit of advice in regards to her diet right now.

After that is all said I am still unsure if she is actually pregnant or having a false pregnancy. I have read many things regarding that the xray and ultrasounds are not always accurate. I am trying to make her pregnancy the healthiest and best for her and her puppies and that means I need to know how many pups to expect, especially if one might be to big and she needs a c-section. I have tried to make a scheduled c-section but none of the vet's in my area will schedule it, they will only perform an emergency c-section. From the tie that I witnessed she should be in week six, unless the semen stayed in her and did not attach to an egg until 5-7 days later then that would put her into week 5. She could also be pregnant from a later tie which would put her into week 4. Her signs are that she is more affectionate and always has to be in the same room as me, her teets are bigger and longer, her milk pouches are starting to form, and she has a very slightly bigger stomach(mostly a bigger rib cage). Her appetite some days increases but even before her ties she has been the most picky eater I have encountered. So some days she will eat the wet food/dry food/tripe mixture of premium food I am giving her. Other days she will push it away and lay on the other side of the room. Every few days she may throw up and it is a small amount of yellow film. I already have all the materials needed for whelping and her whelping box built just in case but the more days that pass the more I worry that she is having a false pregnancy. I know many may respond saying wait until her xray but my worry and patience are getting the best of me and I am curious to what other senior breeders may say. Thank you for any information you can provide.

Couch Potato City
    Blog Entries
    Well your male being prior to two years, obviously is not fully health tested although prelims look well.
    That being said- by this late in the pregnancy, it should be rather obvious if she is pregnant. How old is the female? And how many heats has she had prior?

Vivace is just over 2 1/2 years old and has had three seasons prior to the one she was bred on.

Couch Potato City
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shilo88_2006 View Post
    Vivace is just over 2 1/2 years old and has had three seasons prior to the one she was bred on.
    Wow- okay so two young dogs by their breed. Well could you post some pictures of her? one standing side picture, and also from the top ie down the back?
    Knowing what her background would help as this also contributes into fertility.And what are the signs she is having? ( gained weight, closed heat etc)

Full Member Full Dog Member
    That is a tough one. There are so many experienced breeders and even veterinarians that can not tell a difference without ultrasound or xray. The symptoms are exactly the same. I know you love your dog so it makes this waiting really hard, but I would say that is the only way to be certain. I would just keep doing what you are doing and assume she is pregnant and have the xray next week. Even if she ovulated a few days later you should still see skeletons. They just won't be as dense so you will have to look closer to see them. If you don't see any on the xray, then talk to your vet about having another one about a week later. When she is really close to whelping you will be losing sleep and your emotions and worries will be high then. So don't worry about this now. Just wait for the xray and save your worries for later.

I would say it's difficult to tell if she isn't as far along as you think. With my girl she carried a lot of it up in her ribcage for a great deal of the pregnancy till she hit about 6 weeks to 7 weeks then she really started blowing up. I think with a larger breed dog it's much more difficult to tell especially if they were on the heavier side to begin with. Unfortunately unless you have a vet who can palpate at about 5 weeks you have to wait for the xray to confirm. We did the serum relaxin test at about 5 weeks I believe but at that time the vet was able to palpate a few puppies and said she was fairly certain she was pregnant. Without knowing exactly when your bitch ovulated I don't know what to tell you. The date she would deliver would be 63 days from ovulation.

She's also not really fully grown if you are talking a mastiff to be having puppies... wasn't sure if you were aware of that or not. Large and Giant breeds are generally not fully grown till they are at least 3. I can tell you my basset (who yes are a large breed dog only with short legs) was not fully filled out till she hit 2 1/2 - 3 years old.
    http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l1.../signature.jpg
    www.savybassets.net
    Tracy Smith
    Proud owner and handler of AKC/UKC Ch. Olde Fashion Agent 99, CGC, TDInc.

Yes I knew she wasn't fully grown to her full extent that Mastiffs are supposed to be grown but Mastiffs can only have a possible three healthy litters and the breeder of all of my Mastiffs said a female can be bred at 2 1/2. Also in the past six months she has not gained any weight or size. All three of my mentors said to go ahead and breed her. Does anyone have any advice on what to feed her to get her to eat even her normal amount of food daily? I had tripe mixed in but after a week she won't eat it. I have tried different premium wet can food mixed in and she only like a certain kind for a few days. She has always been a picky eater but now she is being ridiculous with me lol.

Mastiffs are noted for often having very small litters, compared to other giant breeds, so it could quite well be that she is pregnant, but having a very small litter.

Love the breed. What breeding are your dogs.

Lizzie

Full Member Full Dog Member
    My girl got really picky toward the end of her pregnancy too. I actually had to hand feed her. It was the only way she would eat. I would hand feed her small amounts all throughout the day. My hubby is a truck driver so not home most of the time but when he did come home she would not eat for me, but would for him. They can really be picky when they are pregnant. Try the small amounts being hand fed, that may help.

Well when Roxie was pregnant and right after she whelped she became very picky. I tried all sorts of different techniques to getting her to eat. First I soaked the kibble in some warmed broth (chicken, beef or vegetable) and then sometimes I'd also mix in some puppy canned food. You could try something like that. Or try cooking for her. Some boiled chicken or hamburger and rice usually will get even the pickiest eater to eat and it helps with an unsettled tummy.
    http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l1.../signature.jpg
    www.savybassets.net
    Tracy Smith
    Proud owner and handler of AKC/UKC Ch. Olde Fashion Agent 99, CGC, TDInc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast