Thread: Constant licking other dogs mouth

B Senior Dog Member+

Constant licking other dogs mouth

Solo is constantly trying to lick izzys lips. After drinking, when she's panting, when their playing etc. She tries to walk away and yells him off but he doesn't get it. She's started to go after him for just coming up to her now which obviously I don't want since they do play a ton and I don't want to separate them. Why is he doing this and how can I get him to stop?

Banned (temp) Senior Dog Member+
    Blog Entries
    Mine did this until I got Fraqgaria Vesca tablets ( strawberry tablets from Potters). http://mall.cairnrescue.com/mdse/sho...php?itemno=G52
    Dogs do this to clean the teeth of plague and tarter of the dominant dog in the pack.
    So- clean off the plague and the behavior stops. Not only do we have clean teeth of the dogs, but also that licking of others teeth has stopped as well.

Senior Dog Member Lynn-Alexandria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    When a dog licks another dogs lips. It's generally a sort of submissive gesture. A subordinate dog will lick the lips of a dog higher up in the pack. My four younger Springers do it to my older Springer Reilly when he has been drinking or if he comes in after being away from them for a while.

When you say yells him off does she just give him a little warning? Has there been showing of teeth etc?
    Owned by Zak, JD, Reilly, Dude, Rico, Denzel, Rogue and Delani. All my precious boys. You have kept me going through the roughest of times xx

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn-Alexandria View Post
    When a dog licks another dogs lips. It's generally a sort of submissive gesture. A subordinate dog will lick the lips of a dog higher up in the pack. My four younger Springers do it to my older Springer Reilly when he has been drinking or if he comes in after being away from them for a while.

When you say yells him off does she just give him a little warning? Has there been showing of teeth etc?
    Mine lickl the others teeth out of submission in a few cases. ( like benjamin to zubin or Nina to Lindsey. )
    However- I have found if one not the leuteniant to the one being licked, the reason for the licking is not dominance but rather health cleaning the teeth.

B Senior Dog Member+
    Bm- she doesnt have plaque on her teeth they don't get a chance because she chews bones.

And yes she gives tons of warning she will curl her lips and show teeth and usually growl but he doesn't listen.

I know it's submissive I just thought maybe something else because he's constantly doing it.

Senior Dog Member Lynn-Alexandria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BC132 View Post
    Bm- she doesnt have plaque on her teeth they don't get a chance because she chews bones.

And yes she gives tons of warning she will curl her lips and show teeth and usually growl but he doesn't listen.

I know it's submissive I just thought maybe something else because he's constantly doing it.
    My Springers always do it. Maybe just keep a really close watch on them just in case it does escalate to something more serious. Reilly has growled when my other four are at him but they leave him alone and everything's good.
    Owned by Zak, JD, Reilly, Dude, Rico, Denzel, Rogue and Delani. All my precious boys. You have kept me going through the roughest of times xx

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BC132 View Post

Plague starts as a film we can not see but other dogs can.
    It sounds like to me he knows her teeth need to be cleaned or its submission...
    ( also- I prefer BZ over BM thank you... )

Gustav and the puppies lick the older dogs' mouths all the time. Zander and Dante aren't fond of it and generally get up and walk away. Macie LOVES it. She will go up to one of the three and start messing with them JUST so they will lick her mouth and gums. Then she will fleabite/lovebite them in return as thanks, and it just goes back and forth. I've seen Goose with his whole HEAD in Macie's mouth, just licking away. The girls do it to Goose, and he'll do the same thing as Mae. Flea/love bite.

I really have no idea how to stop it, other than giving a basic command such as "Stop" or "Go lay down".
    Liz and Zander

( also- I prefer BZ over BM thank you... )
    But why?

Seriously, does the strwberry stuff work for teeth? I will have to buy some!

Frigid North, Also known as Alberta, Canada.
    Submission.

Sola did this to the extreme as a puppy to Diesel. She's now 3, and will still lick at him when she greets him. She will do this to myself, or my SO as well (Diesel, nor us humans appreciate it as much as she thinks )

I have never heard of the cleaning teeth reason. I know puppies do it to any adult/alpha to show submission. Like a foal "gums" to adult/alpha horses.
    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened."
    ~Dr. Seuss