Page 1 of 10 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 95

Thread: Cattle dog pregnant (47 days) Adive

  1. #1
    Full Member Full Dog Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    43

    Cattle dog pregnant (47 days) Adive

    Hi guys, Well my beautiful Cattle dog is having pups, she is 47 days today, the only problem is that dad is a ridgeback..... she had mated with a pure cattledog and it cost me $1000 dollars, they tied five times and no pups??? Both dogs have outstanding pedigrees... both dogs grandfathers are grand champions. AND BOTH HAVE PRA PATTERN A, baer testing (hearing) clear. The money for the mating wasn't the issue, just that she didn't fall pregnant, which I found odd. Since he had sired before.

    Anyway, I will be keeping on of the pups, and have 2 other people wanting a pup, and will vacc, mc, and worm them.

    Should she be able to give birth naturally? As dad is alot bigger! Would the pups only grow to what the size of the mother will allow, then once born grow quickly (if that makes sense). Am currently feeding her (small amounts of each) dry food, canned food (premium quality) fresh roo mince, chicken necks and raw eggs, also she gets marrowbones and sardines 2 times weekly, is this suitable? Just really nervous that I am doing everything right for her and her growing pups... any other helpful hints would be great, cheers. PS a c section if needed of course will be done, this dog is my life, she comes travelling around Australia with me, ( as well as my old girl) and is with me 24/7 My dogs have better lives than most people do
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by bemba; 08-22-2011 at 07:36 PM.

  2. #2
    Did you say...bacon? Senior Dog Member+ OwnedByBCs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Naboo
    Posts
    2,566
    Wow... ok. I want to say a lot of things but will refrain because of the rules here.

    She could be at risk of having to have an emergency C-section, because she's so much smaller than the male. I would prepare yourself for that. Has she gotten an x-ray?
    Passion is 90% Insanity, and 10% Addiction.
    www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
    www.serendipitygraphics.webs.com
    KEEP YOUR LAWS OFF MY PAWS

  3. #3
    Full Member Full Dog Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by OwnedByBCs View Post
    Wow... ok. I want to say a lot of things but will refrain because of the rules here.

    She could be at risk of having to have an emergency C-section, because she's so much smaller than the male. I would prepare yourself for that. Has she gotten an x-ray?
    Why the beginning negative comment? I am a big boy and can take it LOL, I know they will be cross bred, but I am doing everything resposibly, and WILL find them all forever homes PS no x ray as yet, she has had an ultrasound, they could see 4 for sure, a friend of mine says as a rule of thumb, double what they can see minus one, so seven LOL I'll be waiting for that one. Anyway, please I don't take things to heart like alot of people do, If you have something to say that could help JUST SAY IT

  4. #4
    Full Member Full Dog Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Posts
    134
    At 47 days, you are only about a week away from being able to do an xray. That will be the best way to determine the size if the pups. With the male being larger she very well could have some difficulties with delivery and need a c-section. Check with your vet about when they prefer to do an x-ray.

  5. #5
    Full Member Full Dog Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by cavaliermom View Post
    At 47 days, you are only about a week away from being able to do an xray. That will be the best way to determine the size if the pups. With the male being larger she very well could have some difficulties with delivery and need a c-section. Check with your vet about when they prefer to do an x-ray.
    Ok, will do..... You know I am so excited about this litter they are going to fantastic dogs, not to mention crossbred vigour!!! Which appeals to me greatly.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by bemba View Post
    Ok, will do..... You know I am so excited about this litter they are going to fantastic dogs, not to mention crossbred vigour!!! Which appeals to me greatly.
    Hybrid vigor, when referring to mixing *breeds*, is a myth. An untested mixed breed dog has no greater chance at being healthy than an untested purebred dog.

  7. #7
    Crossbred dogs aren't necessarily healthier than a well bred purebred, especially if both the dogs are prone to the same health problems.

    What is her weight and what is the male's weight?

    Most people really do NOT agree with accidental matings and mutt breeding, and for good reason, considering there are many dogs in shelters from the exact same thing. An early abort/spay would have been best.

  8. #8
    Did you say...bacon? Senior Dog Member+ OwnedByBCs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Naboo
    Posts
    2,566
    I just don't understand how you let this happen... and since you are coming here asking questions it seems like you didn't really do your homework before breeding this litter... Was this intentional, because she wasn't taking with the other male? Why the heck would you ever breed a mix breed litter on purpose? Did you think about the fact that she might have a seriously hard time having this litter on her own?

    The fact that you even mentioned "crossbred vigor" just shows that have a lot of research to do before you should even breed a litter.. but whoops.. you already did it.

    Did you know that Ridgebacks are at HIGH risk for Degenerative Myelopathy and Hypothyroidism? Did the sire get DNA tested for that, or do you even know? Or Australian Cattle Dogs being at risk for PRA (Progressive Retinal Atrophy)? Did the bitch get CERF tested? And both of these breeds are at high risk for Hip Dysplasia... were they OFA'd? Did you even consider these things when you bred this litter?

    Crossbreeding does NOT produce healthy dogs by default. In fact, you can end up with genetic diseases being doubled up by mixing the breeds. I just can't imagine how you could have thought this was a good idea.
    Passion is 90% Insanity, and 10% Addiction.
    www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
    www.serendipitygraphics.webs.com
    KEEP YOUR LAWS OFF MY PAWS

  9. #9
    Full Member Full Dog Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by notanumber View Post
    Hybrid vigor, when referring to mixing *breeds*, is a myth. An untested mixed breed dog has no greater chance at being healthy than an untested purebred dog.
    No I didn't mean Hybrid I meant cross bred as hybrid indicates the crossing of 2 species, all dogs are the same species.

  10. #10
    Full Member Full Dog Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Caty1113 View Post
    Crossbred dogs aren't necessarily healthier than a well bred purebred, especially if both the dogs are prone to the same health problems.

    What is her weight and what is the male's weight?

    Most people really do NOT agree with accidental matings and mutt breeding, and for good reason, considering there are many dogs in shelters from the exact same thing. An early abort/spay would have been best.
    Well I don't agree with your last comment, why would I abort the puppies who are going to be loving pets for many many years, as I said I am keeping one and 2 are going to fantastic homes, the others will stay with me untill I find them suitable homes.... It could be straight away (8 weeks) or longer I don't care.... heck I could keep all of them if I really wanted. PS... just as many purebred homeless dogs!!!
    Last edited by bemba; 08-22-2011 at 10:07 PM.

Page 1 of 10 12345678 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Pregnant and 48 days
    By sharzar in forum Dog Breeding Help
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-01-2009, 10:32 PM
  2. dog should be between 35-42 days pregnant,
    By sharzar in forum Dog Breeding Help
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-29-2008, 11:46 PM
  3. 57 days pregnant
    By peanutsmom in forum Dog Breeding Help
    Replies: 166
    Last Post: 12-21-2006, 06:09 PM
  4. 40 days pregnant
    By peanutsmom in forum Dog Breeding Help
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 12-03-2006, 01:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •