Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Food For A Limited Budget?

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Best Food For A Limited Budget?

I am trying to find a good food for my overweight, senior lab/rottie mix. No allergies, but can be picky.

I am willing to try homemade/raw/store bought, and don't mind putting time into cooking, but am on a limited budget. I feed her about 900kcals per day (or what would you suggest for weight loss? She is getting plenty of exercise.) And can't afford 50$ every two weeks for food. The less grain the better but I am not opposed to feeding something with brown rice/sweet potato, as long as the rest of the food is of good quality.

Thanks!

Banned (temp) Senior Dog Member+
    Blog Entries
    If you have a Cosco membership, you could try the Kirkland. 40 pounds is about 26 dollars. Now the health weight one is only 3 stars, so I would suggest you get the regular adult food and just feed less. http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-fo...ture-dog-food/

I miss you Denali Senior Dog Member+ Dignity's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Kirkland is a great deal if you have a Costco.

I feed Fromm Four Star (Chicken A La Veg) to my dogs, it's about $50 a bag, and for my two giants I go through a 30lb bag about every 2 weeks. Fromm Gold Senior or Adult would be a bit less and still a really decent food.

Premium Edge is also a really decent food that tends to less expensive as is Avoderm.

It might help us to know what you have available in your area.
    Beauty without Vanity; Strength without Insolence; Courage without Ferocity; and all the virtues of Man without his Vices. -- Lord Byron "Epitaph to a Dog"
    ♥ Bone Cancer Awareness ♥ RIP Denali ♥

I don't have a membership to Costco, but I do know that Fromm is available in my area. I believe I have fed her that before.

I HIGHLY suggest raw(Prey Model Raw)!! I feed all 4, soon to be 5, of my dogs and both cats PMRaw and will NEVER go back to processed foods!

Where do you live, and what is her ideal adult weight??
    (I can help give you an idea of how much you would-approximately-be feeding, and help with the area to see if I already know any raw feeders close to you, for pricing!)

EDIT TO ADD, I just looked at another one of your post, and I see that her IAW is approximately 63lbs, give or take(Depending on what "ribby" means when you got her at 59lbs!). So she would more then likely be getting somewhere around 20-30ounces of food per day(2-3% of her ideal adult weight), probably on the low size since she is older.

Anyways....knowing where you are from will help if you are wanting to look into raw!

I would HIGHLY suggest looking into the link I posted above, the people who run that site are AMAZING, and always willing/able to help!
    Im Abi, the VERY PROUD FurMommi to:Rhett & Caoimhe, Dixi, Leo, Brody, Ducki and Pidgin.
    All raw fed!

Quote Originally Posted by MysticsAbi View Post
    I HIGHLY suggest raw(Prey Model Raw)!! I feed all 4, soon to be 5, of my dogs and both cats PMRaw and will NEVER go back to processed foods!

Where do you live, and what is her ideal adult weight??
    (I can help give you an idea of how much you would-approximately-be feeding, and help with the area to see if I already know any raw feeders close to you, for pricing!)

EDIT TO ADD, I just looked at another one of your post, and I see that her IAW is approximately 63lbs, give or take(Depending on what "ribby" means when you got her at 59lbs!). So she would more then likely be getting somewhere around 20-30ounces of food per day(2-3% of her ideal adult weight), probably on the low size since she is older.

Anyways....knowing where you are from will help if you are wanting to look into raw!

I would HIGHLY suggest looking into the link I posted above, the people who run that site are AMAZING, and always willing/able to help!
    Thank you! It is definitely something I have considered. I am in the New England area, if that helps

gone bird crazy!! Senior Dog Member+ morkie mom's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    some good and simple raw recipies all ready for you, it will take the guess work and wonder out of it for you go to www.dextersdays.com check out the diet part. It will help alot . Raw is great for any dog especially for overweight and a dog with allergies.

Live and let live

Bee-See-Luv-R Senior Dog Member+ Bclover92's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    4Health from Tractor Supply is a pretty good food for very cheap (17 bucks for around 20 pounds).
    Abby and the Defying Gravity Dogs
    Ammardans Skyes the Limit CGC AX OAJ XF 0/3 AXJ 1/10 MXF 4/10 MX <3 Heart Dog
    DarnFars Footprints on the Moon CGC NA OAJ NF 2/3 OA 1/3 AXJ 1/3 OF *My Reason to Smile*
    Heaven's Gift Levi Gabriel *Family Friend*

Quote Originally Posted by crzycurlyq View Post
    Thank you! It is definitely something I have considered. I am in the New England area, if that helps
    I would REALLY suggest it!

Its awesome!

Biggest thing I ADORE about it is the fact that once your dog(s) are doing good on it then there is NO reason to have a set thing that is being fed, just as long as you average 10% bone and 10% organs-about half being liver-an the rest meat then your all good!!

There arent any "recipes" or such...just feeding your dog a diet that echos their species natural diet!

Feel free to PM me any time you want to talk!
    Im Abi, the VERY PROUD FurMommi to:Rhett & Caoimhe, Dixi, Leo, Brody, Ducki and Pidgin.
    All raw fed!

As you said you are trying to find good food for your dog and, also you can't afford 50$ for every two weeks.
    First thing, if you are willing to try homemade food, raw food at affordable prices then prefer for burns dog food.
    The burns dog food is highly recommended like homemade food, which is having all ingredients of animal proteins, grains and many more. Like burns canine alerts, adult's chickens & brown rice.

You can buy raw dog food, commercial dog food as well. These are best and much affordable.Don't think high quality food is only the expensive food. Such foods require to give in small meals.
    Last edited by netpetshop; 01-14-2012 at 01:56 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast