Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog itching like crazy, no fleas

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Dog itching like crazy, no fleas

I have a 5 year old beagle/shepherd mix but he is small and short (ish) haired. I have changed his food about a month ago from Nutro Chicken Adult food to Basic Buffalo Turkey & Potato food and he loves it. The reason I changed him was for one he wasn't really eating the other food and two he was scratching himself like crazy so I thought food allergy. Took him to the vet and they gave him an allergy shot and some antibiotics because he scratched himself into a rash and that got infected. The main parts he scratched were back, belly/sanitary, and butt cheeks. Well, he is now scratching again like that and won't stop. I have tried to wash him in medicated shampoo and that didn't really work. The shot from the vet worked but only for a couple of weeks then he was back to scratching. I have looked him over several times and have not seen one flea or ticks or any flea dirt. Im not sure what to do next. If anyone has any idea of what I can do to relieve the itching for my baby boy and maybe stop these allergic reactions to god knows what, please let me know. He is miserable from scratching all day. This is the first time he has done this and it seemed to have started at the beg of summer this year. Any suggestions???

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Does sound like an allergic reaction to something. Talk to your vet again. Also look around the yard, have you gotten any new plants that he's getting into.

If I had a dog having this severe of a reaction I would talk with Dr Dodds and do this scan.

http://nutriscan.org/

I have done titer testing through dr dodds and have referred lots of people to her results on thyroid and everyone I have referred has had great results.

Full Member Full Dog Member K9_Kitty's Avatar
    I agree on speaking to your vet again. My pup Malachai actually doesn't do well on foods contain salmon or even salmon oil. Makes him super itchy. But I would definitely check with your vet on what else could be done.

The rescue I volunteered/fostered for had a dog returned to them after he had grown up (he was adopted out as a puppy) because he had such severe allergies and the owners "didn't have the time" to "deal with it". They were told he was severely allergic to dust and was on steroid shots. They actually just changed his diet and his itching problems seemed to go away and he no longer needed the steroid shots. It also had helped him if he wasn't around carpet.

Hope you can figure it out. I know how frustrating it can be! Are there any cleaners you have used recently (or even laundry detergent) that could be irritating his skin?

Bewunderer der Hunde Dog Moderator FourIsCompany's Avatar
    Are both of these foods grain-free? I can't tell from the names which formula they are. But look at the ingredients or Google them and print them here. If there's ANY grain (wheat, corn, oats, barley or rice) I would switch to a grain-free food first thing. There are Limited Ingredient dog foods that cater to grain-sensitive dogs.

The two foods he's been on are not Grain-free. The basic Blue Buffalo food he is on is limited ingredient already so I thought that would help. He has been eating grass outside randomly the past month which is odd for him.

Bewunderer der Hunde Dog Moderator FourIsCompany's Avatar
    Put him on a grain-free food. That would be my first suggestion. Many dogs are allergic to grain and can develop allergies after years of being fine. I notice Blue Buffalo has a grain-free formula.

My dogs graze like cattle and they've been on high-quality food all their lives. Many times, it's just something they do, they like the taste or they're bored. Is he getting enough exercise? Here's a good article on it:

http://www.medicinenet.com/pets/dog-..._eat_grass.htm

Full Member Full Dog Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FourIsCompany View Post
    Put him on a grain-free food. That would be my first suggestion. Many dogs are allergic to grain and can develop allergies after years of being fine. I notice Blue Buffalo has a grain-free formula.
    Yes, this!!

My parents' Min Pin started having seizures around age 5 and the vet suggested that before doing anything else, we try a grain free food. Once switched to that, he not only stopped having seizures but his itching/chewing on his toes went way down. This reaction developed later in life for him.

Now my 2 Dobes are on grain free food (one is also on thyroid meds though) and they hardly itch or scratch at all - oh, happy day!

Thank you all for the great advise. I'm going to switch him over to grain-free as soon as I can. Are there any shampoo or even over the counter medication that I can help him Relieve the itchiness in the meantime??

Full Member Full Dog Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy89 View Post
    Thank you all for the great advise. I'm going to switch him over to grain-free as soon as I can. Are there any shampoo or even over the counter medication that I can help him Relieve the itchiness in the meantime??
    I have an oatmeal shampoo that I use occasionally and is supposed to help dry skin/itchiness.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast