Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog Won't Eat After Recovering From Illness?

Full Member Full Dog Member

Dog Won't Eat After Recovering From Illness?

My dog went through a two week illness that the vets are calling a viral infection (after many tests and a surgery) where she did not eat and had no interest in any food. As she started to recover, the vet told me to try anything and everything to get her to eat, and chicken worked. For the last week she would eat nothing but chicken, small amounts at a time. Now, however, she won't eat that anymore either, let alone her dog food. She is almost back to herself in other regards now, playing and not acting as if she is feeling badly at all, and she shows interest in food by begging when I'm eating something...she just won't eat it herself! I've tried wet food as well. She did eat a piece of turkey last night after rejecting chicken. Any tips, tricks, insight? Is she still not feeling well or is she "spoiled" from the last week and just being finnicky? She is somewhat of a picky eater in general anyway...

Pom Mom Senior Dog Member+ Deb's Tiny Dogs's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Curious, what was the surgery for? Is the vet doing any follow-up bloodwork to be sure the infection isn't returning? Bogey, my Poodle that recently passed, would lose his appetite if his WBC would spike from any infection.
    Forever my boys, Bogey and Miko. All my love till we meet again.

Are you giving her cooked chicken? Use raw. Are you feeding her from the table? She has you well guilted out. Stop feeding her from the table.

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What breed, and how old?

To me, it sounds like the dog is just being manipulative.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

The surgery was to check for an obstruction (there was none). She is estimated 7 years old, breed unknown, 20 lbs. Since I wrote this she kind of got worse and started throwing up again, so that may explain why she stopped eating. However, the last few days she has felt better again, and no vomiting. The chicken was cooked, my vet said nothing about feeding it raw?

I have never fed her from the table. I think at this point it has been half because she isn't feeling well and half because she's spoiled. Regardless, I'm out of ideas. She has lost so much weight during this ordeal that I can't say "tough" and wait for her to give in and eat dog food....she has dropped to 16 lbs and my vet has said she just wants her eating SOMETHING. Thoughts?

Blog Entries
    What brand of dog food do you feed?

Have you tried the canned version? Nuking it? Getting it wet?

I feed her Natural Balance, and yes, all of the above. She will barely eat meat, let alone any version of dog food. Even things she eats she will reject after a few bites.

Animal Lover Senior Dog Member+ Reyven's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It sounds like a return trip to the vet There could be something else wrong that wasn't found on the first set of bloodwork/surgery. I really hope you're able to find something out soon!
    ~*Forever in my heart*~
    RIP Shadow unk - Aug 2010
    RIP Misty unk - 5 Nov 2011
    RIP Loki Dec 2002-01 Apr 2013

Blog Entries
    Dog sounds sneaky! Will she drink stuff? Have you tried broth? Then broth with "stuff" in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Reyven View Post
    It sounds like a return trip to the vet There could be something else wrong that wasn't found on the first set of bloodwork/surgery. I really hope you're able to find something out soon!
    She has been to the vet multiple times and they insist there isn't anything else wrong, that she just needs to recover from the viral infection they said she had. I'm getting so frustrated! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Moo View Post
    Dog sounds sneaky! Will she drink stuff? Have you tried broth? Then broth with "stuff" in it?
    She drinks water alright, didn't want any broth, but I have not tried mixing the broth into water. I was kind of afraid to for fear that she would stop drinking water then too, and then we'd really have a problem! I kind of think she's sneaky and kind of think it's something else, probably both. Of course she isn't going to want dog food after being fed meat, but at the same time, she acts like she wants and likes something and will chow down on the first few bites, then lose interest, no matter how tasty of an item it is. That tells me that it's not just her being picky. I think she'd eat more of something she really wanted if that were the case...she definitely is finicky though, always has been with food, not the type to gobble up anything that hits the floor.

I just don't know what to do! I'm putting her back on an appetite stimulant that she was on a couple weeks ago to see if that helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast