Thread: Nail surgery for dogs??

Sky diver Senior Dog Member Jaļa's Avatar

Nail surgery for dogs??

Hey guys!

I have a really weird question, and I need to know if any of you have heard about this, cos I sure haven't!!

I was reading a few adds on kijiji.ca regarding animals for free, and I can upon an add that was giving away a free two year old labrador.
    As I read the add, it said that the dog has had ''surgery performed on his nails to make them stop growing (they don't grow anymore)''...

Ok?!?! I know alot about dogs and I know that you can't declaw a dog like you declaw a cat. Since I NEVER heard of this procedure before, I did a little research on google and came up empty handed.

So, have any of you ever heard of this before?

I'm guessing, if this is true, that maybe they removed the quick? Because isn't it the quick that make the nails grow? And if that's it, what if the dog breaks of a nail someday, their will be no possibility of growing it back, thus he will be missing a nail forever?! Very strange...
    Last edited by Jaļa; 01-26-2013 at 11:00 AM. Reason: add
    Life is nice, live it to the fullest!

LoveMyPetsMoreThanMe Senior Dog Member+ TheDogWhisperer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have NEVER heard of this before. How strange... It's almost cruel in a way. You can't cut your dog's nails every two weeks?? And it's a Lab, so it's not like they grow super duper fast like, for example, a Cavaliers! (Even Cav's nails don't grow all that fast!)
    A thousand "hellos" make up for the one "goodbye."

I know, I agree... I also think this is cruel... For all I know, you can't declaw a dog like you declaw a cat. A dog's nails are not like a finger, you can't cut any part of.... (If it were up to me, declawing cats would be banned here...)

I think I might be writing to this gentlemen for some info... And y'a, if you can't cut your dog's nails every two weeks, then don't bother to owning any pet for that matter!!! Cheech... people....

This would be an add placed by a very uneducated person. The dog more then likely had it's nails cut back and cauderized(sp) to stop them bleeding after they were quicked back. This does not stop the nails growing, it just stops the bleeding after their cut back. I don't know any vet on this earth who would be so cruel as to remove a dogs nails, they would have to remove most of the toe with it leaving the dog with stumps on the end of their legs. That would be abuse in any form.
    Serenity begins when you stop expecting and start accepting

I think they are mistaken. Juju was rescued from a teen client of mine where she was chained and forgotten in the backyard. She had never had a nail trim and they were terribly long, like maybe a 1 1/2 inches. In fact, they are still longer than any of my dogs. She just seems to have naturally long quicks or something. Anyway, one time, I couldn't get her to the groomer for a nail trim so ran up the street to a vet. They told me they could put her under anesthesia and cut them WAY back and cauterize them to get them where they should be and then I could just keep them trimmed from there. I had never heard of that and thought that was a bit cruel and that was not a procedure that would prevent them from growing again.
    ~~~ "No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich." ~~~
    -Louis Sabin-

Well, see, I think that is probably what he was talking about. Just a procedure to cut them back... But eventually, they'll grow back... I'll write to him...

It's a Golden life Senior Dog Member CayceV's Avatar
    Perhaps he was talking about having the dewclaws removed?

As I was getting ready to reply to this person, the add was removed... We will never know...

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by saluki-sue View Post
    This would be an add placed by a very uneducated person. The dog more then likely had it's nails cut back and cauderized(sp) to stop them bleeding after they were quicked back. This does not stop the nails growing, it just stops the bleeding after their cut back. I don't know any vet on this earth who would be so cruel as to remove a dogs nails, they would have to remove most of the toe with it leaving the dog with stumps on the end of their legs. That would be abuse in any form.
    This is the first thing I thought of.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪