Thread: inflamed webbing and pads around nails??

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Question inflamed webbing and pads around nails??

My dog has very red, sore and itchy skin between his paws and webbing. Does anyone know what to do for this or does he need to go to the vet? He is constantly itching them. Also he has some soreness in the form of spots around his mouth. Can someone help please??

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Was he swimming in dirty water? It sounds like a reaction of some sort. I would go to the vet to find out for sure what it is first. Then you will be better informed on how to treat

It could be an allergy. I'd let the vet take a look at his feet first tho. You never know he may have stepped in some poison ivy or oak and is having a reaction. If the vet tells you that it's an allergy then I'd look at what you are feeding your dog. The vet may suggest Iams allergy or some kind of food he carries (he gets a kick back from the company for carryng that brand of food.) Corn, corn gluten, wheat and wheat gluten are common allergies for dogs. If your food contains any of these ingredients I'd switch to a brand that doesn't have those fillers. Look for brown rice, rice, potato or sweet potatoe as filler along with real meat not meat by products in the ingredients list. Beef can also be an irritant. I'd find chicken lamb or salmon for the meat source. There are a lot of opinions regarding which dog food is best, or better than another, I think if you settle on a brand that suits your pocketbook as well as your dog's stomach you are in good shape.
    Hugs
    Judy and the RESCUE SQUAD!

Got Sheltie? Senior Dog Member+ weezyNollie's Avatar
    Vet time.

How long has this been going on? Has he been walking or in or around anything abnormal lately? When did you first notice it? Is it consistent? How often does he lick? Does he ever do anything besides licking it?

After answering those questions..
    If it's a recent thing, and mostly licking. Then the licking is causing the problem, he might have a fungal or bacterial infection and needs some topical Gentaved (an antibitotic).

If the answers are more along the lines of.. he chews, bites, licks, and it's been ongoing. Could be an allergy.

Could also be dermatitis, what type of dog do you have?
    The Herding Herd.
    Brooke, Weezy, Ollie, and Ralphie

www.coloradoanimalrescue.org

We took him to the vet today. We feed him a good food so I don't think it is that that is giving him allergic reaction...I think it is as good as Iams, which is Eukanuba. Anyone know? But the inflamation on his paws was caused by an allergy, which can be allergies like people get. The vet said that instead of runny noses and itchy eyes, dogs will get itchy feet...weird. But she said that it happens often in August with many dogs and we have a few meds for him. One being iodine which he has to soak in with water, stridex looking pads and a Benedryl type med . Because of his constant licking though it turned into a yeast infection. I hope this helps someone else who may be going through the same thing with their dog.

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thank you so much for updating us. I'm sure this information will be very useful.

Got Sheltie? Senior Dog Member+ weezyNollie's Avatar
    Iams and Eukanuba is the same company.. some people recommend both, and some don't. It's all a personal preference.

And even the best premium diets can cause allergies.. a dog may be allergic to turkey, chicken, and/or beef. All of these come in a multitude amount of companies. Then you have to switch to a duck, venison, or other type of game food.

There are also environmental allergies that can be common in dogs. Which is what you are describing.. itchy paws and biting/licking at them is the one of the main signs.
    The Herding Herd.
    Brooke, Weezy, Ollie, and Ralphie

www.coloradoanimalrescue.org

Pom Mom Senior Dog Member+ Deb's Tiny Dogs's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by weezyNollie
    Iams and Eukanuba is the same company.. some people recommend both, and some don't. It's all a personal preference.
    Iam's and Euckanuba are owned by the same company; Procter and Gamble. Eukanuba is the premium brand over Iam's (more expensive).
    Forever my boys, Bogey and Miko. All my love till we meet again.

Natural Balance is a good food that wont put you in the poorhouse. They have one for allergies. Make sure you dry his feet well when he comes in from outside. Yeast loves moisture. If he won't stop licking, maybe try lightweight booties.
    layla