Thread: New Dog won't eat

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

I'm hoping someone can help me. It's been years since I owned a dog and I recently got an 11 month old Vizsla that was raised with another dog. We've only had the dog about 4 days and he doesn't seem to be eating or drinking enough. If I push the dog dish toward him, he backs away. I'm feeding him the same food the prior owner used. He will eat dog food out of my hand but not enough. He'll drink water but only if I encourage him by stirring the water. He's getting too thin. He has a vet appt tomorrow but I'm still worried about him.

Labified Senior Dog Member+ GretaJack's Avatar

A healthy dog will not starve itself. Eventually he will eat. I know exactly how you feel since I had the same problem with my Greta after my other two died. I was very stressed about it. Make sure to take a stool sample into the vet so they can check for worms. If all checks out well at the vet give him a few days. His former housemate might have been food agressive or territorial of food bowls. He might be afraid of overstepping his former rules of hierarchy. Hope all works out for you and your new dog!
    See Jacob grow http://katiejmcnamara.blogspot.com

Missed Greatly, Forever Remembered. In memory of my lost ones; Moby (9/13/03), Carbon (09/13/03), Tanner (10/16/05), Aries (07/31/07) and Millie (09/25/07).

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Iíve found with my own that a little competition is good for the appetite. Most dogs are quite competitive for food. If you donít have another dog, this is what I would do; leave dry food out all the time along with water. Donít worry if they donít eat it all just put it out and leave it alone. Instead of hand feeding Ė use the time to play with him. Plenty of exercise does wonders. Also, you could start basic training in the yard and use high calorie treats (puppy dog biscuits comes to mind), lean beef meat, etc.

Heís sad, the more you try to make it up to him Ė the more he will know that he has reason to be sad. Exercise & play are much better ways to get him out of it. Teach him that although he isnít in the old pack Ė the new pack is more fun and he will thrive there.

You can try warming the food, (not biscuits though), it increases the smell by two fold, this may encourage him to eat it.

Full Member Full Dog Member

It may be that you are using a different kind of dish! I used to have a pekingese that had a leash. We changed to a different kind and he didn't want to let us put it on him.
    Barbara Smith